Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tinnitus

+14
kelly2564
oldsailor
daverobitaille@rogers.com
sports_1977
Newfie
MarieH
coppers2002
Tactical Snoopy
Art8
bosn181
bigrex
propat
BinRat
Gunner8
18 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Tinnitus Empty Re: Tinnitus

Post by chinese assasin Mon 25 Oct 2021, 20:28

so the wont increase it due to prescribed hearing masker or aid? reading a lot on here stating if you get 5 and you have a hearing masker its like 10 % wasn't sure how accurate that would be, maybe every case is different and i already get one for hearing maybe they consider that good enough

chinese assasin
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2021-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Mon 25 Oct 2021, 20:25

chinese assasin wrote:I have prior hearing pension and found out i also have tinnitus filed a claim and got a hearing masker subscribed also and just found out they gave me 5% but only gave me the monthly annuity of 59.18??

You should be able to covert that 5% to a lump sum payout. They simply payout the remaining balance.
When I got my hearing and tinnitus last winter, I had no problems doing that.

Iceman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2016-05-03

chinese assasin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Tinnitus Empty Tinnitus

Post by chinese assasin Mon 25 Oct 2021, 18:10

I have prior hearing pension and found out i also have tinnitus filed a claim and got a hearing masker subscribed also and just found out they gave me 5% but only gave me the monthly annuity of 59.18??

chinese assasin
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2021-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by daverobitaille@rogers.com Thu 10 Oct 2019, 06:48

So, after only 4 weeks the reassessment is done and I was bumped up 5%. They did not give 6% as I was thinking they would. Makes sense, they would have to round up to the next number and paid for 10% instead of 5%. Well, better than nothing! Now at 27% total disability. Anyone knows what % you need to be to be declared DEC? I still have 2 more claims on the burner...

CSAT Member

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2018-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Sep 2019, 17:33

daverobitaille@rogers.com wrote:Question here,

I was awarded 6% for tinnitus last year and it is now worse. VAC as started an early reassessment, My total disability is 16% PLUS 6% MAKING IT 22% but paid at 20%. If awarded the max of 12% for tinnitus, another 6%  that would put me at 28%. My question is, would they have to pay me at 10% as they always round up to the next % levels?  Do I make sense?

Yes you make perfect sense and your math is correct for 10% increase.  I just checked my tinnitus award it was granted for 11%, I hope you get 12% because your sitting right on 28% if you get the amount you require to get there.  

I find this rule by VAC to round up or round down is totally absurd.  Just pay the percentage level.

Back to top Go down

Post by daverobitaille@rogers.com Thu 05 Sep 2019, 14:55

Question here,

I was awarded 6% for tinnitus last year and it is now worse. VAC as started an early reassessment, My total disability is 16% PLUS 6% MAKING IT 22% but paid at 20%. If awarded the max of 12% for tinnitus, another 6% that would put me at 28%. My question is, would they have to pay me at 10% as they always round up to the next % levels? Do I make sense?

CSAT Member

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2018-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by EZRider Tue 06 Aug 2019, 18:21

Unknown Soldier wrote:
EZRider wrote:Tinnitus awarded at 4%, can that be taken as a lump sum these days?  I haven't received a letter yet ( verbal over the phone )  but showing the monthly award on my VAC account as of now, will I be receiving something in the mail to elect monthly vs lump sum?
l got a my vac account message yesterday, they said yes, if and when my hearing claim comes through , if it were 5%, I would be given the option of approx. 18000 lump sum, or about $50 a month added to my additional pain and suffering as a monthly payment, ...l don’t know how old you are, but obviously I’m taking the lump sum, what the hell can anyone do with an extra $50 a month, I see no advantage in it, . Under the old system a monthly payment was until the day you died , but if all they are going to do is give me $50 a month TIL l have earned $18000, there is nothing to be gained by that.

Thanks for the reply.....I'm lump sum old....not a chance I'm gonna make it to 85 which I think is the age used to determine the monthly amount.

EZRider
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2013-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by EZRider Tue 06 Aug 2019, 18:21

Duplicate message....

Last edited by EZRider on Tue 06 Aug 2019, 18:22; edited 1 time in total

EZRider
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Tue 06 Aug 2019, 18:15

EZRider wrote:Tinnitus awarded at 4%, can that be taken as a lump sum these days?  I haven't received a letter yet ( verbal over the phone )  but showing the monthly award on my VAC account as of now, will I be receiving something in the mail to elect monthly vs lump sum?
l got a my vac account message yesterday, they said yes, if and when my hearing claim comes through , if it were 5%, I would be given the option of approx. 18000 lump sum, or about $50 a month added to my additional pain and suffering as a monthly payment, ...l don’t know how old you are, but obviously I’m taking the lump sum, what the hell can anyone do with an extra $50 a month, I see no advantage in it, . Under the old system a monthly payment was until the day you died , but if all they are going to do is give me $50 a month TIL l have earned $18000, there is nothing to be gained by that.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 608
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by EZRider Tue 06 Aug 2019, 14:48

Tinnitus awarded at 4%, can that be taken as a lump sum these days? I haven't received a letter yet ( verbal over the phone ) but showing the monthly award on my VAC account as of now, will I be receiving something in the mail to elect monthly vs lump sum?

EZRider
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Nov 2018, 16:48

Artie Simm wrote:
Bruce72 wrote:
Artie Simm wrote:
bigrex wrote:I'm just going to go out on a limb, and say that VAC will only approve the 5%, because the aodiologist only recommended the masking device, while the TOD, states that the device has to have been prescribed. I know it's an unnecessary hassle, but they are limited to, adhering to the policies. But you could go to the Dr, and get one prescribed now, and give that information to VAC, so when they do get around to adjudicating your claim, it will be on your file, allowing them to approve the single 10% award.
a hearing claim is separate from a tinnitus claim so is someone submits both, if VAC awards 10. % for tinnitus ( constant, plus prescription requiring sound blocking device), is the hearing claim still assessed on its own merit, I.e another 1-100% disability .? Or is 10-11% all that is ever awarded for claims submitted together..?

"a hearing claim is separate from a tinnitus claim"

That may be Artie, but what is the hearing claim for? It can't just be called a hearing claim. Is it hearing loss or is it something else, like a punctured eardrum?

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/1068
I dont know all the correct terms but lost if hearing during service is considered a disability, but is it lumped in with tinnitus when both claims are submitted,  I.e.does vac try and cut corners and say rather than 10% tinnitus and 10% hearing loss,they combine and say 10% hearing damage

Now, Artie be honest, did you click the link I posted and read the VAC policy on hearing loss and tinnitus? If not okay, but I'd like to know, before we move on with this subject.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Nov 2018, 16:24

Bruce72 wrote:
Artie Simm wrote:
bigrex wrote:I'm just going to go out on a limb, and say that VAC will only approve the 5%, because the aodiologist only recommended the masking device, while the TOD, states that the device has to have been prescribed. I know it's an unnecessary hassle, but they are limited to, adhering to the policies. But you could go to the Dr, and get one prescribed now, and give that information to VAC, so when they do get around to adjudicating your claim, it will be on your file, allowing them to approve the single 10% award.
a hearing claim is separate from a tinnitus claim so is someone submits both, if VAC awards 10. % for tinnitus ( constant, plus prescription requiring sound blocking device), is the hearing claim still assessed on its own merit, I.e another 1-100% disability .? Or is 10-11% all that is ever awarded for claims submitted together..?

That may be Artie, but what is the hearing claim for? It can't just be called a hearing claim. Is it hearing loss or is it something else, like a punctured eardrum?

I dont know all the correct terms but lost if hearing during service is considered a disability, but is it lumped in with tinnitus when both claims are submitted, I.e.does vac try and cut corners and say rather than 10% tinnitus and 10% hearing loss,they combine and say 10% hearing damage

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Nov 2018, 12:36

Artie Simm wrote:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Nov 2018, 10:18

Back to top Go down

Post by bosn181 Wed 21 Nov 2018, 13:13

glad to hear your covered, keep up the fight and if i were you get the model number of the masking device then go to doc get prescription for masking device with the model number for tinnitus and take to vac, many of the guys i helped in my area got it covered in less than two months good luck.

bosn181
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2017-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next