Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GoFundMe seeks $34,000 for veteran’s prosthetic leg after Canada’s military refuses to pay

Go down

GoFundMe seeks $34,000 for veteran’s prosthetic leg after Canada’s military refuses to pay Empty Re: GoFundMe seeks $34,000 for veteran’s prosthetic leg after Canada’s military refuses to pay

Post by Guest Sun 16 Dec 2018, 00:13

Bruce72 wrote:December 15, 2018

Conservative MP and former Veterans Affairs Minister Erin O’Toole has called on the government to intervene in this case, and in fact says he raised the matter with Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan four months ago. For his part, Sajjan says he’s looking into the file and Canadian Forces officials have since told Global News that they are willing to sit down with Capt. Fawcett.

So as of this writing, a favourable outcome seems likely. However, that doesn’t undo the 10 years of hell that Capt. Fawcett has had to endure. Those who have given so much to this country deserve so much better.

As everyone can plainly see there has not been a resolution as of yet in Captain Fawcett's situation. She has spent the last ten years battling governments and the CAF over this and as of now the fight continues.

And I'm not interested in hearing.....but, but the minister said......

Bruce72

https://www.gofundme.com/new-prosthetic-leg-for-capt-kimberly-fawcett

$12,433 of $34,000 goal
Raised by 232 people in 3 days
even if vac/ gov agrees to help her, it will probably be a decade before she sees any $

Back to top Go down

GoFundMe seeks $34,000 for veteran’s prosthetic leg after Canada’s military refuses to pay Empty Re: GoFundMe seeks $34,000 for veteran’s prosthetic leg after Canada’s military refuses to pay

Post by Guest Sat 15 Dec 2018, 19:27

December 15, 2018

Conservative MP and former Veterans Affairs Minister Erin O’Toole has called on the government to intervene in this case, and in fact says he raised the matter with Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan four months ago. For his part, Sajjan says he’s looking into the file and Canadian Forces officials have since told Global News that they are willing to sit down with Capt. Fawcett.

So as of this writing, a favourable outcome seems likely. However, that doesn’t undo the 10 years of hell that Capt. Fawcett has had to endure. Those who have given so much to this country deserve so much better.

As everyone can plainly see there has not been a resolution as of yet in Captain Fawcett's situation. She has spent the last ten years battling governments and the CAF over this and as of now the fight continues.

And I'm not interested in hearing.....but, but the minister said......

Bruce72

$12,433 of $34,000 goal
Raised by 232 people in 3 days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Dec 2018, 19:06

Why don't you just provide the fucking link with the info?

I can't find anything new about and people are still donating as of a few minutes ago.

You come on here claiming its all sorted out without providing any information. WTF?

You have made 55 posts on this site, I've made over 800 do you think I don't check my facts?

Until you prove otherwise this is how it is. Donations are welcome.

Don't stand in the way of her donations because of your big mouth, minus the facts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Dec 2018, 18:07

Tilap61 wrote:That got settle today. The gvnt will pay

Can you provide a link to the news article that states that? Because I'll tell you right now the issue is still as it stands. The government will not pay. Honestly, it's better if you either donate or mind your business.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilap61 Fri 14 Dec 2018, 17:19

That got settle today. The gvnt will pay

Actually I did give . The MND said so himself today he also said he has been in contact with her and that she will receive the full spectrum of support, including for her prosthetic leg. So since I did give and that the story is public knowledge I think it is my business to comment. My point was more to have you inquire about it.

Last edited by Tilap61 on Fri 14 Dec 2018, 18:30; edited 1 time in total

Tilap61
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2017-02-03

Back to top Go down

GoFundMe seeks $34,000 for veteran’s prosthetic leg after Canada’s military refuses to pay Empty GoFundMe seeks $34,000 for veteran’s prosthetic leg after Canada’s military refuses to pay

Post by Guest Fri 14 Dec 2018, 17:03

Canada’s military has thus far refused to pay the $34,000 for a prosthetic leg for one of its veterans, who lost a limb — and her son — in a devastating accident 12 years ago.

So now, a resident of Oshawa, Ont. has started a GoFundMe campaign to raise money for the veteran himself.

John Deremo is a retired former employee of the soon-to-be-closed GM plant in Oshawa.

He grew emotional when he read the story of Capt. Kimberly Fawcett, an Air Force veteran whose nine-month-old son was killed in a crash on Highway 401 close to Kingston, while she was taking him to his grandparents’ house so she could report for a deployment.

Since the crash, she has been hit with a bill of $34,151.15 for the prosthetic leg, and has spent almost a decade fighting with the military in the hope that they’ll pay for it.

“I don’t know whether it was the lump in my throat or the knot in my stomach that did it, but she’s been through a horrendous thing,” Deremo told Global News.

“To have people turn their back on them, that’s just not right.”

The military initially considered Fawcett on duty when she went about a “matter related (directly) to her service in the Canadian Forces… in that both travel to her son’s daycare and then to the base were required activities to enable her to perform her military duties at work.”

However, one of Fawcett’s commanding officers later overturned that conclusion, saying that she was not on duty at the time.

And so began a battle that has dragged on ever since.

The Federal Court found that the military was being unreasonable in refusing to pay, but the Canadian Armed Forces appealed, and a judge sided with them.

Fawcett has since appealed that decision.

The case has taken a turn since Fawcett’s story was told.

On Wednesday, officials with the Armed Forces said they’re willing to sit down with her and look into any costs associated with the prosthetic. They also said she’s being supported through a number of military programs.

Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan is looking into the case personally.

A charity has also offered to pay for the prosthetic leg.

Meanwhile, Deremo’s GoFundMe is seeking $34,000 to pay for the prosthetic, and had raised just over $2,000 as of Thursday night.

“I can’t imagine what it would be like to lose an infant, and seeing it happen, going through that, still being able to go and give for your country,” he said.

“She has put everything she has out there.”

Deremo isn’t sure that the campaign will reach its goal, but he said it has received plenty of attention on Facebook.

“Most of the people that have donated have said exactly the same thing — been disgusted at their government,” he said.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down