Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

PFL “The dust is settling”

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

PFL “The dust is settling” Empty PFL “The dust is settling”

Post by Steelgunner on Wed 03 Apr 2019, 00:01

With April 1st come and gone the dust is settling on all the hype the GOC/VAC has put forth.

My net gain is $426.25 for a over100% Veteran.  I am thankful for not being in the negative column and thank you VAC.  I hope no Veteran lost any amount with this change.  I presume I will see better tax numbers next year when I file my taxes, but that is a real sore part for me because they never take off enough to balance you perfectly for taxes. There is past Military increases back pay and I even got 8k increase this year because of incorrect grade level.

Now, we all have to sit back and think was all this worth it?  I wonder the amount VAC spent on this new system in making the policies, consultations, training?  It would be nice to find out the average increase for a Veteran, then find out the cost to implement this new system.   I would take the total numbers of veterans in the system and divide it by the cost of the system to see which number is higher.  I am almost willing to bet donuts to dollars the VAC wasted so much in this new system it would have been better to keep the PA/NVC charter as it is with minor tweaks, better services, and good  increases for all veterans in all categories.

We just don’t want money wasted that is earmarked for veterans.  We don’t want benefits renamed and put under an umbrella and the system so complex that we as veterans can see how you arrived at these numbers.  VAC staff can not explain the system properly, depends who you talk to.  Can’t blame them three systems in the last fourteen years.  The MVA keeps changing non stop, reminds me of the CO  changes at Battery Level, new commander new system.

We want the service to improve and the backlog gone.

Just my two cents.

Steelgunner
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 148
Location : White Rock BC
Registration date : 2017-10-08

Back to top Go down

PFL “The dust is settling” Empty Re: PFL “The dust is settling”

Post by Guest on Wed 03 Apr 2019, 00:19

Steelgunner wrote:With April 1st come and gone the dust is settling on all the hype the GOC/VAC has put forth.

My net gain is $426.25 for a over100% Veteran.  I am thankful for not being in the negative column and thank you VAC.  I hope no Veteran lost any amount with this change.  I presume I will see better tax numbers next year when I file my taxes, but that is a real sore part for me because they never take off enough to balance you perfectly for taxes. There is past Military increases back pay and I even got 8k increase this year because of incorrect grade level.

Now, we all have to sit back and think was all this worth it?  I wonder the amount VAC spent on this new system in making the policies, consultations, training?  It would be nice to find out the average increase for a Veteran, then find out the cost to implement this new system.   I would take the total numbers of veterans in the system and divide it by the cost of the system to see which number is higher.  I am almost willing to bet donuts to dollars the VAC wasted so much in this new system it would have been better to keep the PA/NVC charter as it is with minor tweaks, better services, and good  increases for all veterans in all categories.

We just don’t want money wasted that is earmarked for veterans.  We don’t want benefits renamed and put under an umbrella and the system so complex that we as veterans can see how you arrived at these numbers.  VAC staff can not explain the system properly, depends who you talk to.  Can’t blame them three systems in the last fourteen years.  The MVA keeps changing non stop, reminds me of the CO  changes at Battery Level, new commander new system.

We want the service to improve and the backlog gone.

Just my two cents.
by my math I'm down $450 a month...but I guess that evens out because my CIA is no longer taxable? I dont know what's going on, I just stumble obliviously through the VAC maze,hoping not to be eaten by the minotaur

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

PFL “The dust is settling” Empty Re: PFL “The dust is settling”

Post by Guest on Wed 03 Apr 2019, 00:48

Sleeping dog we all lost on cia and cias, 200 on each.
Your the same age as me roughly you should be up about 392 not a loss of 450 message your vac account ask them to review it if your showing a loss!?

Im just shy of 60 getting 392 more, just putting this out there for comparisson purposes, 100% plus dissabled on the vac Richter scale. 30% PA 70% jumbled mess.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

PFL “The dust is settling” Empty Re: PFL “The dust is settling”

Post by Guest on Wed 03 Apr 2019, 07:35

Wildthing wrote:Sleeping dog we all lost on cia and cias, 200 on each.
Your the same age as me roughly you should be up about 392 not a loss of 450 message your vac account ask them to review it if your showing a loss!?

Im just shy of 60 getting 392 more, just putting this out there for comparisson purposes, 100% plus dissabled on the vac Richter scale. 30% PA 70% jumbled mess.
these are not my exact # s because I can’t log in but before let’s say my ELB was $2450 after deductions plus CIA, that would be my take home a month, but now CIA has dropped and been moved into my non taxable disability grouping, but my ELB now shows about $2000. Take home , I’m guessing the CPPD designation is factoring in there somewhere.? If l phone VAC , will the drop in pay be able to be explained to me by a front line worker just by glancing at my income, because there is no posted explanation, though I think we are individually supposed to get something in the mail.?


Last edited by Sleeping Dog on Wed 03 Apr 2019, 07:40; edited 1 time in total

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

PFL “The dust is settling” Empty Re: PFL “The dust is settling”

Post by bigrex on Wed 03 Apr 2019, 07:37

Sleeping Dog, you need to look at the after tax income, between the two different deposits, combined. One for disability benefits, which are tax free, and one for taxable Income benefits. SO even if the one may have decreased by $450, the other will have increased by $500, for a net gain of $50.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3907
Location : Halifax, Nova Scotia
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

PFL “The dust is settling” Empty Re: PFL “The dust is settling”

Post by Guest on Wed 03 Apr 2019, 07:41

bigrex wrote:Sleeping Dog, you need to look at the after tax income, between the two different deposits, combined. One for disability benefits, which are tax free, and one for taxable Income benefits. SO even if the one may have decreased by $450, the other will have increased by $500, for a net gain of $50.
yes that’s what I was trying to explain, that my CIA dropped but became tax free so at the end of the day that’s a win.?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

PFL “The dust is settling” Empty Re: PFL “The dust is settling”

Post by Guest on Wed 03 Apr 2019, 07:59

My net gain with tax considerations (CIA becoming tax-free) will be $248.16= $2978.00/year after tax additional income. Heat and Light bill paid! Damn, I can't bitch about it. Smile

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

PFL “The dust is settling” Empty Re: PFL “The dust is settling”

Post by Guest on Wed 03 Apr 2019, 08:08

Steelgunner wrote:With April 1st come and gone the dust is settling on all the hype the GOC/VAC has put forth.

My net gain is $426.25 for a over100% Veteran.  I am thankful for not being in the negative column and thank you VAC.  I hope no Veteran lost any amount with this change.  I presume I will see better tax numbers next year when I file my taxes, but that is a real sore part for me because they never take off enough to balance you perfectly for taxes. There is past Military increases back pay and I even got 8k increase this year because of incorrect grade level.

Now, we all have to sit back and think was all this worth it?  I wonder the amount VAC spent on this new system in making the policies, consultations, training?  It would be nice to find out the average increase for a Veteran, then find out the cost to implement this new system.   I would take the total numbers of veterans in the system and divide it by the cost of the system to see which number is higher.  I am almost willing to bet donuts to dollars the VAC wasted so much in this new system it would have been better to keep the PA/NVC charter as it is with minor tweaks, better services, and good  increases for all veterans in all categories.

We just don’t want money wasted that is earmarked for veterans.  We don’t want benefits renamed and put under an umbrella and the system so complex that we as veterans can see how you arrived at these numbers.  VAC staff can not explain the system properly, depends who you talk to.  Can’t blame them three systems in the last fourteen years.  The MVA keeps changing non stop, reminds me of the CO  changes at Battery Level, new commander new system.

We want the service to improve and the backlog gone.

Just my two cents.

Excellent thoughts here Steel gunner. I have no doubt over the coming years the government will save money. That is their intent. My inner voice says we are now slightly better off that we would have been with former conservatives. They gave up on vets needs also.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

PFL “The dust is settling” Empty Re: PFL “The dust is settling”

Post by Guest on Wed 03 Apr 2019, 08:09

STEELRAIN wrote:My net gain with tax considerations (CIA becoming tax-free) will be $248.16= $2978.00/year after tax additional income. Heat and Light bill paid! Damn, I can't bitch about it.  Smile
not to drag this out, as I guess I will call VAC for an explaination, but if CIA dropped in amount, but became tax free, I guess I`m still up money there...but if my ELB before was $2450 a month (plus CIA), but now after april 1 its $2000 a month (with CIA in another column)- I`m still out $450 a month am I not?


Last edited by Sleeping Dog on Wed 03 Apr 2019, 08:12; edited 1 time in total

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

PFL “The dust is settling” Empty Re: PFL “The dust is settling”

Post by Guest on Wed 03 Apr 2019, 08:11

I don't know about a win, the extra 450 we were getting with cia/cias if invested properly may have been worth more if invested, dont know with that loss if it will even put us in a lower tax bracket and if it does what would the savings be? Right now it looks like a rob peter to pay peter the new PFL from my viewpoint. Will compare next years income tax to this years and see then!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

PFL “The dust is settling” Empty Re: PFL “The dust is settling”

Post by Guest on Wed 03 Apr 2019, 08:21

Sleeping Dog wrote:
STEELRAIN wrote:My net gain with tax considerations (CIA becoming tax-free) will be $248.16= $2978.00/year after tax additional income. Heat and Light bill paid! Damn, I can't bitch about it.  Smile
not to drag this out, as I guess I will call VAC for an explaination, but if CIA dropped in amount, but became tax free, I guess I`m still up money there...but if my ELB before was $2450 a month (plus CIA), but now after april 1 its $2000 a month (with CIA in another column)- I`m still out $450 a month am I not?

Sleeping dog I just added up previous payments after-tax income and subtracted that from the new amount. Then calculated the $6000 tax reduction (CIA become tax-free) added that amount to my additional PFL. If you are still at a lost I would call VAC. You shouldn't be at a lost!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

PFL “The dust is settling” Empty Re: PFL “The dust is settling”

Post by Guest on Wed 03 Apr 2019, 08:31

STEELRAIN wrote:
Sleeping Dog wrote:
STEELRAIN wrote:My net gain with tax considerations (CIA becoming tax-free) will be $248.16= $2978.00/year after tax additional income. Heat and Light bill paid! Damn, I can't bitch about it.  Smile
not to drag this out, as I guess I will call VAC for an explaination, but if CIA dropped in amount, but became tax free, I guess I`m still up money there...but if my ELB before was $2450 a month (plus CIA), but now after april 1 its $2000 a month (with CIA in another column)- I`m still out $450 a month am I not?

Sleeping dog I just added up previous payments after-tax income and subtracted that from the new amount. Then calculated the $6000 tax reduction (CIA become tax-free) added that amount to my additional PFL. If you are still at a lost I would call VAC. You shouldn't be at a lost!
I`m just looking at me monthly bank account, like before april 1 lets say I was taking home $1500 previous mil pension plus $2400 ELB and $600 CIA ever month my bank account would have $4500 in it...now every month I get $1500 plus $500 (CIA reduced) plus only $2000 ELB so in my bank account every month is now $4000.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

PFL “The dust is settling” Empty Re: PFL “The dust is settling”

Post by Guest on Wed 03 Apr 2019, 08:39

The numbers do not add up. Call veteran affairs it looks like something is wrong. Let us know.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

PFL “The dust is settling” Empty Re: PFL “The dust is settling”

Post by Guest on Wed 03 Apr 2019, 08:46

Sleeping dog screen shot your my vac account minus personal info and PM it to big rex or myself and i will get the wife who is an accountant to review it. If your comfortable with doing that.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

PFL “The dust is settling” Empty Re: PFL “The dust is settling”

Post by MikeCeeGB on Wed 03 Apr 2019, 08:56

STEELRAIN wrote:
Steelgunner wrote:With April 1st come and gone the dust is settling on all the hype the GOC/VAC has put forth.

My net gain is $426.25 for a over100% Veteran.  I am thankful for not being in the negative column and thank you VAC.  I hope no Veteran lost any amount with this change.  I presume I will see better tax numbers next year when I file my taxes, but that is a real sore part for me because they never take off enough to balance you perfectly for taxes. There is past Military increases back pay and I even got 8k increase this year because of incorrect grade level.

Now, we all have to sit back and think was all this worth it?  I wonder the amount VAC spent on this new system in making the policies, consultations, training?  It would be nice to find out the average increase for a Veteran, then find out the cost to implement this new system.   I would take the total numbers of veterans in the system and divide it by the cost of the system to see which number is higher.  I am almost willing to bet donuts to dollars the VAC wasted so much in this new system it would have been better to keep the PA/NVC charter as it is with minor tweaks, better services, and good  increases for all veterans in all categories.

We just don’t want money wasted that is earmarked for veterans.  We don’t want benefits renamed and put under an umbrella and the system so complex that we as veterans can see how you arrived at these numbers.  VAC staff can not explain the system properly, depends who you talk to.  Can’t blame them three systems in the last fourteen years.  The MVA keeps changing non stop, reminds me of the CO  changes at Battery Level, new commander new system.

We want the service to improve and the backlog gone.

Just my two cents.

Excellent thoughts here Steel gunner. I have no doubt over the coming years the government will save money. That is their intent. My inner voice says we are now slightly better off that we would have been with former conservatives. They gave up on vets needs also.

Its easy. They will get us on the back end. Lots of people are enjoying an increase, but the SRB and CIAS changes will pay dividends for the government in the long run. The majority of us will not get the CIA annual 1% increase due to time served, and new vets won't have access to the CIAS. For those of us that do have the CIAS, it is rolled into the IRB, which will be reduced by 30% at 65. So in the end they get a percentage of your CIAS at 65.

I wish they were as efficient at settling claims as they are at making us think we are gaining when we are actually losing in the long run. Its a marathon, not a race. VAC knows this.

MikeCeeGB
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 25
Location : Nova Scotia
Registration date : 2018-11-30

Back to top Go down

PFL “The dust is settling” Empty Re: PFL “The dust is settling”

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum