Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PFL “The dust is settling”

+4
Sailor63
propat
MikeCeeGB
bigrex
8 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

PFL “The dust is settling” Empty Re: PFL “The dust is settling”

Post by bigrex Sun 05 May 2019, 12:41

@ doomed, thank you.  It would be nice, but at this point, it's not much more than a rumour, even if it came from a CM. Even if it does turn out to betrue, it's not going to happen any time soon, because it would likely require a change to legislation, which would need to to go through the whole process of parliament, before any money could be payed out. That could take well over a year or more, depending on the political will of government.

@Johnny, I aim to please, brother. Unfortunately, VAC staff get paid regardless, so they have no incentive to actually dig for answers, so they don;t case if they are feeding BS to Veterans.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Sun 05 May 2019, 08:57

Bigrex - Tks Brother. Could have asked on my Vac account, but would have gotten 5 different answers..lol. VVV
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by doomed78 Sat 04 May 2019, 22:57

https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,124086.500.html

Here is the link...go to page 22, posted may 02 2019 by user upandatom

doomed78
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2019-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 04 May 2019, 20:30

Ok, good to know that you are planning on sticking around, but it's always wise to plan for the future.

PFL- the surviving spouse, is given the balance owing of the lump sum. If the Veteran took the lump sum, there are no finacial supports for the spouse, unless the Veteran was getting IRB. Then I believe the spouse continues to get the IRB amount for 2 years, or 2 years worth is paid as a lump sum.

Under the Pension Act, a PA pension of 1-46% is paid at 50% of whatever the Veteran was paid. if the Veteran gets a PA pension of 47% or above, the spouse gets a 75% pension.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Sat 04 May 2019, 18:33

Bigrex - just let me say before this ?, I’m not planning on going anywhere..lol. What does A Vet,s spouse get after a Vet is gone, under the PFL? I’m thinking nothing. If so it would be nice to see this changed.
And if one had the old DP, pre 2006, what part of that does a spouse get?
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 04 May 2019, 16:20

I haven't heard that before, but it would not shock me to have something like that come as a campaign promise. What forum did you read it on, or do you have a link, so we can read it ourselves?
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by doomed78 Sat 04 May 2019, 11:13

I read on another forum that VAC may be changng their minds about giving Lump Sum payments to those that receive small monthly pension amounts. Anyone hear anything about this?

doomed78
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2019-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeCeeGB Sat 13 Apr 2019, 18:26

My CM informed me yesterday that although the CIAS is included in the IRB amount on your statements, it is, along with your CIA, a protected amount.
For what it’s worth she has been spot on for the two years I have worked with her.

MikeCeeGB
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2018-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Fri 12 Apr 2019, 18:50

Good post BTB.
Because you never can tell.
pinger.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Apr 2019, 08:11

Would have been nice if they would have kept they're word and gave us the option of a lumpsum on the pain and suffering.

Back to top Go down

Post by propat Wed 03 Apr 2019, 23:04

see that's just the thing bigrex they are combining two protected amount's and calling them one in that case you are very correct. thing is they are separate . all the legislation so far has jived with what sailor posted from the OVO . now this comes out as a curve ball that makes no cense . yes if you combine both protected amounts as they have in the transitional provisions I get that but they are separate . ELB is protected and CIA is protected at least till the point in time where if that 1% thing would give you a higher paid benefit than the IRB protected amount ( CIA ) then they will pay you the higher .

I don't know whats going on when they do these transition provisions but the last time we had a big change they were written just as poorly at times seeming to say the opposite of the rest of the legislation .

but my original point remains im unconvinced that they will be reducing it and if they are or are planning on it I don't believe they will be doing it for long .

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2017-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Wed 03 Apr 2019, 22:19

Sorry I didn't post this early...My day has been really hectic!

I called VAC this morning, the staffer assured me that on her computer the CIAS amount under IRB heading is protected and that the amount will remain protected for life of the veteran or until a veteran's DEC changes.

After age 65, the CIAS amount will not be included in the IRB deduction amount and the CIAS is only listed under IRB because it is a taxable benefit. She mentioned that even though the CIAS not listed on MY VAC Account, it shows the CIAS on a separate line under the IRB amount on her monitor.

I don't know if this staffer was guessing about the CIAS being classified as a separate benefit when we hit age 65 but I just wanted to pass this along to you all.

Cheers,
By the Bay
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 03 Apr 2019, 22:00

Not sure how that is Propat. It's 70% of the 90% amount, compared to 70% of the 90% amount and the CIAS combined.

$5000 - 30% = $3500

$5000 + 1100 - 30% = $4270.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by propat Wed 03 Apr 2019, 19:17

yup I get that but at 65 70% of my IRB should be a much much higher than my protected IRB so I cant see it applying at all .

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2017-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Apr 2019, 19:05

I like the way you think. Now since you mention it may be the NDP or the Conservative will bring it on. I personally have no doubt, that no matter what, the Liberals will get reelected. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum