Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reassessment/DEC

+2
Gunner8
Rubicon
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Reassessment/DEC - Page 2 Empty Re: Reassessment/DEC

Post by Gunner8 Thu 05 Mar 2020, 10:13

Hey jimmy, thanks for the response. I’m a little confused, are you saying that you have the reassessment forms yourself, and that you have to get them filled out by your psychiatrist yourself, and then submit them yourself? Thanks

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 331
Registration date : 2018-01-13

Back to top Go down

Reassessment/DEC - Page 2 Empty Currently in similar situation

Post by jimmyB1 Thu 05 Mar 2020, 05:12

Hi Gunner,
I feel your plight. Similar situation although now I'm passed the two year mark. I have an appointment with my psychiatrist next week and I can ask him for another appointment to fill out my reassessment forms. So if I can get it submitted to VAC by April or May I think I will be on pace with how slow VAC would like us all to submit these things. The problem is I have no way of submitting it earlier. I also asked for an early reassessment and they said only if I could get medical form stating that. I did not have a clinician in my life that was qualified to fill out the form at that point, so like you I was left just waiting for the two years to pass, despite my therapist agreeing that some of my symptoms had become worse. (MSW's are not approved by VAC to submit this).
VAC creates barriers for veterans attempting to access benefits by manipulating the process and making it confusing and unmanageable for someone like myself with a brain injury.
The few of us who are at a point where we are able to speak out are such a small minority.
Rubicon already gave you great advice. You could also try the veterans ombudsman or your MP although that could be opening the door for more frustration on your end. Get that legion lawyer on the horn and good luck.

jimmyB1

jimmyB1
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2018-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Wed 04 Mar 2020, 14:58

I’m not near a Vac office or legion right now . So I’m not sure what to do. Would the case manager on call do anything for me? Will they give me a case manager on call that is in the area? I’m in Newfoundland.

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Reassessment/DEC - Page 2 Empty Don't take no for an answer Gunner8

Post by Rubicon Tue 03 Mar 2020, 10:45

Gunner8, do you have a VAC Office nearby or a Legion? If so, walk in to the VAC Office and request to see the VSA on duty and have the reassessment application filled out and uploaded before you leave and request a date-stamped copy of all paperwork. If you only have a Legion in your area ask for their attorney contact (which is provided for free) and request the attorney perform the same for you. Given the backlog that VAC has created for themselves you should not have to wait the two-year timeframe only to apply and wait up to another two years for a decision. While the reassessment application works its way thru the system the required two-year timeline can count itself down simultaneously especially since your doctors agree your condition has indeed degenerated. I just heard this morning of another veteran who is now in limbo for six weeks while his Case Manager is on stress leave. That veteran is now left with no support whatsoever while his CM recovers all the while no one gives a shit about him. That is bullshit and that is unethical on so many grounds and would not happen with a physician. VAC with their CM's should be no different and they should be held to higher ethical standards than they are. PM me if you want a contact for a Legion lawyer. I know one who is former military and a VAC client as well so she knows bullshit when she sees it and calls it out.

Rubicon
Rubicon
Rubicon
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2017-03-16

Back to top Go down

Reassessment/DEC - Page 2 Empty Reassessment/DEC

Post by Gunner8 Mon 02 Mar 2020, 22:41

So I’ve asked for a reassessment because my symptoms have gotten worse, and my medical professionals agree with that. So I called Vac to tell them I want to be reassessed, But they said it hasn’t been 2 years yet, ( it actually has been 2 years since the start of my last reassessment, but I guess they go from their initial decision at step 4). But anyway, she told me she would send a note or whatever they do to see if I can get approval for, reassessment. After seeing my health care professionals, they haven’t heard anything from VaC so I called them again, and she said the note or file is just sitting on a desk, waiting for someone to look at it. And because I don’t have a case manager now, (I’m DEC) I’m not sure how long this may go on. I don’t have anyone to call and check on it or see if any action is being taken. Is their anything I can do? Thanks

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: