Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SDA (Special Duty Area)

+4
Nemo
Iceman
bigrex
johnny211
8 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

SDA (Special Duty Area) - Page 2 Empty Re: SDA (Special Duty Area)

Post by Unknown Soldier Wed 19 Aug 2020, 09:32

Gunner8 wrote:I got declined for VIP. So I guess I won’t be able to get B coverage?
what were the reasons for your denial?
Here`s another question for the group, If a veteran has VIP for over a decade can VAC still take it way, stating they feel the vets injuries have improved?
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 610
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Wed 19 Aug 2020, 08:33

I got declined for VIP. So I guess I won’t be able to get B coverage?

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 331
Registration date : 2018-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Thu 16 Jul 2020, 12:43

Gunner8 wrote:Unknown soldier, I don’t receive VIP at the moment, I just applied for it on my back account.

Gunner
well you should be good to go if you have SDA injuries , just make sure your CM or whoever is doing the paperwork cites those injuries as those resulting in your need for VIP, not your non deployment injuries.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Thu 16 Jul 2020, 12:13

Unknown soldier, I don’t receive VIP at the moment, I just applied for it on my vac account.

Gunner

Last edited by Gunner8 on Thu 16 Jul 2020, 22:18; edited 1 time in total

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Thu 16 Jul 2020, 02:32

Gunner8 wrote:Well I guess the biggest reason I ask is because now I don’t get Vision or dental coverage, but if I was B coverage apparently I would. That’s what I was told anyway. It’s very confusing.

Gunner
l looked into it, l would call your CM ,or anyone here who was granted VIP for a non SDA ( blue cross Group A coverage). Tell your CM you would like to have your VIP not cancelled but “ reassessed “ ( it’s supposed to happen once a year anyway). Apparently you eventually get a call from a District or Regional Medical Officer, they will go over your new/SDA disabilities over the phone, and if the injuries are considered debilitating enough, the veterans coverage should switch from Group A to Group B blue cross coverage , or a combination of both. This would entitle the veteran to glasses and dental plans even though not relevant to the injury,I.e. you don’t have to have lost and eye or jaw, your SDA injury could be your back. Bare in mind, if you’re already receiving VIP for a host of Canada earned injuries, and your only Bosnia injury is the loss of the tip of your baby finger, VAC probably isn’t going to switch your VIP from A to B ( IMO). I called blue cross and the girl seemed oblivious to the whole “ injured overseas vs not”, it was way over her head, but she patched me through to someone at VAC.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Wed 15 Jul 2020, 21:34

Well I guess the biggest reason I ask is because now I don’t get Vision or dental coverage, but if I was B coverage apparently I would. That’s what I was told anyway. It’s very confusing.

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo Wed 15 Jul 2020, 19:13

Unknown Soldier wrote:Weird l just read about this exact same situation on line, then came here and it’s the same? The vet in question said they were medically released for an injury that happened in Canada and granted VIP. Years later disability claims were processed in favour of injuries from SDA s. ...but because the vet is Group A coverage, VAC told them they could NEVER get Group B coverage. There were suggestions that ranged from contacting BPA to asking CM to cancel the vets VIP and then reapply under the injuries from overseas. What does a Group B veteran get that a Group A veteran does not?

From my understanding..... an A client only gets benefits paid if it is directly related to their pensioned condition. Client B gets benefits paid regardless of whether it is from the pensioned condition or non-pensioned condition. This is how it has worked for me.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo Wed 15 Jul 2020, 19:09

My illness is under a SDA. I was under coverage A until I was granted VIP and then it switched to A and B. My understanding is VIP benefits are essential to being granted both A and B coverage. Without VIP benefits you would remain an A client. Note - just from my experience AND what my CM told me when I asked her.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Wed 15 Jul 2020, 18:57

Gunner8 wrote:Johnny, so would I need to be receiving VIP to get changed to coverage B?
Right now I’m on IRB, and I’m DEC, with PTSD, not sure if I qualify for VIP. But I would certainly like to have B coverage if I am entitled.

I inquired about B coverage a few years ago, as my main issue is SDA related as well.
I was told I could only get B coverage if I was also receiving VIP benefits

I looked at forms, had a major anxiety attack and never investigated any further.

Last edited by Iceman on Wed 15 Jul 2020, 19:01; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

Iceman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2016-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 15 Jul 2020, 16:58

It's possible to have both A and B coverage. Unfortunately VAC doesn't really go into detail about it, because they fall under Blue Cross. So, I would call Blue Cross to ask about changing your coverage, and they may be able to help get the process rolling.

1-888-261-4033
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Gunner8 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Wed 15 Jul 2020, 16:32

Gunner8 - I would also be interested to hear what they say about B coverage.
Unknown Soldier - I think anytime we ask Vac to cancel, then change VIP fm A too B, could be an issue. It would suck too have it canceled, then be denied.
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Gunner8 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Wed 15 Jul 2020, 15:38

Weird l just read about this exact same situation on line, then came here and it’s the same? The vet in question said they were medically released for an injury that happened in Canada and granted VIP. Years later disability claims were processed in favour of injuries from SDA s. ...but because the vet is Group A coverage, VAC told them they could NEVER get Group B coverage. There were suggestions that ranged from contacting BPA to asking CM to cancel the vets VIP and then reapply under the injuries from overseas. What does a Group B veteran get that a Group A veteran does not?
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Wed 15 Jul 2020, 15:26

I don’t see Bigrex on here as much lately, not sure why. I went on my Vac and applied for VIP anyway. I’m gonna call tomorrow and see what the process of for B coverage. I think I should qualify. My PTSD effects me in a lot of ways where I could use the VIP as well!! Thanks for the advice Johnny

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Wed 15 Jul 2020, 14:27

Gunner8 - that’s a good ?. Someone else on here, maybe Bigrex has the answer. You should certainly put in for VIP. It is a grant that you get every 6 mths. I have been living with ptsd for yrs, and know how you feel. I get grass cutting due too having like you I’m sure, concentration and anxiety issues. Basically we suck around mechanical things. And a lot of days with our up and down triggers and dissociation we cannot manage yard work. And ask for housekeeping for cleaning, and help preparing meals. I have in the past forgot the stove or oven was on, and close to burning the house down.
It’s a fairly simple process, call or sent a my Vac msg, telling them you want to apply for VIP. A VSA will go, and go over a list of ?. Lot size, house size, etc. I would use the samples I said above. VVV
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Wed 15 Jul 2020, 09:42

Johnny, so would I need to be receiving VIP to get changed to coverage B?
Right now I’m on IRB, and I’m DEC, with PTSD, not sure if I qualify for VIP. But I would certainly like to have B coverage if I am entitled.

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next