Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just how much was CIAS .?

+2
Kramer
Unknown Soldier
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Just how much was CIAS .? Empty Re: Just how much was CIAS .?

Post by Unknown Soldier Mon 31 Aug 2020, 18:43

Riddick wrote:Unknown Soldier, you are correct, you never said the CIAS had levels, it was implied in a previous post, I shouldn't have noted it where I did.

Again you are correct with the confusion/shell game the VAC/GoC love to play with the veterans.  There are those just under the PA (Pension Act), just those under the NVC (what I still refer to as the New Veterans Charter....I forget the proper term...) and those under the PFL (Pension For Life). Now you shake them all up and you get clients who are (PA + PFL), or (PA + NVC) or (PA + NVC + PFL) or (NVC + PFL).  That's like 7 different veterans/clients!! It's no wonder the VAC staff have a hard time keeping on top of things, not too mention veterans who are told one thing, but the truth is just the opposite.  One qualifies for one thing but not another.  

There is strength in numbers.....if in doubt......ask.

Riddick
l know they put out charts that showed in some cases certain veterans came out more financially stable than before 2006, however the biggest punch in the guts was the disappearance of the Cias, because personally I know veterans who were declared DEC in mar 2019 and one in May 2019 , both equally injured and yet the guy who got his paperwork in under the wire now has an extra $1145 a month to help with his quality of life, because he’ll never work again, the other guy will also never work again, but he’s not doing so well with paying the bills. The promised task ,from various gov parties and advocacy groups is to compensate every tier of vet until their is parity, l can’t even imagine how that could even happen at this point. And if the PC get in power what spin are they going to put on the VAC benefit package?
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 608
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Mon 31 Aug 2020, 15:35

I'm pretty sure Pain and Suffering Compensation is simply replacement name for the Disability award (paid monthy)
Additional Pain and Suffering Compensation is a replacement name for CIA

I'm also pretty sure CIAS was eliminated, however anyone that had it was grandfathered in (hence the push to apply for CIAS befre the coming into force of APSC)
CIAS was simply a flat rate, adjusted annually by cost of living

Erin O'toole does say in his platform he will fix the veteran file once and for all. let's see what happens if he gets in.  He is ex military himself. was an air navigator, and left as a captain

Iceman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2016-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Mon 31 Aug 2020, 15:05

Unknown Soldier, you are correct, you never said the CIAS had levels, it was implied in a previous post, I shouldn't have noted it where I did.

Again you are correct with the confusion/shell game the VAC/GoC love to play with the veterans. There are those just under the PA (Pension Act), just those under the NVC (what I still refer to as the New Veterans Charter....I forget the proper term...) and those under the PFL (Pension For Life). Now you shake them all up and you get clients who are (PA + PFL), or (PA + NVC) or (PA + NVC + PFL) or (NVC + PFL). That's like 7 different veterans/clients!! It's no wonder the VAC staff have a hard time keeping on top of things, not too mention veterans who are told one thing, but the truth is just the opposite. One qualifies for one thing but not another.

There is strength in numbers.....if in doubt......ask.

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 670
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Mon 31 Aug 2020, 13:07

Riddick wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:
peep wrote:Confused.  I had cia.  Had applied for cias, then new system came in.  Where do I see cias?  Is it not combined now or do you see it displayed?  Maybe I need to resubmit it🤔
that was the card trick pulled by the PM, on April 1 2019, he combined/did away with 6 benefits veterans were previously entitled to. Before apr 1 , if you were deemed to have a DEC, you would now be guaranteed your ELB/IRB til death, PLUS , if you were already receiving CIA at that time, you would also start getting an extra $1145 a month in a benefit called Career Impact Allowance SUPPLEMENT. ...BUT, now that’s gone, and many veterans had the wool pulled over their eyes regarding it in the months leading up to its disposal. As of apr 1 2019, if a veteran has CIA its now called Pain and Suffering, they can still apply for DEC , if they get it, they will still keep their ELB/IRB til death, but that $1145 has been swept under the carpet, not even mentioned by VAC, because they don’t want current vets complaining for it. You’ll basically need a Class Action Lawsuit to get it reinstated because Legion, Ovo,MP can do nothing to help a vet who missed out on it.

Unknown Soldier...... the CIA is not the PSC...it is the APSC (as per the VO's chart I previously attached).  The CIAS DID NOT have levels.

"FOR A VETERAN WITH DEC DESIGNATION:
2018 CIAS: $1145.36/month"

PEEP:  You are correct....the CIAS is now combined into the IRB

"for Veterans and survivors currently in receipt of ELB, RISB, and/or the CIAS, these
amounts are protected as the new IRB amount and indexed annually."

Riddick
“pain and suffering“, “ additional pain and suffering “ CIA/CIAS , tomato, tomato, it’s all designed to confuse The veteran, but I never said the CIAS had levels? ...see what I mean about the confusion, VAC deliberately labels programs similarly so that a vet who has one will think other vets are talking about the same thing, when it’s actually a different entitlement they are probably missing out on.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Mon 31 Aug 2020, 12:15

Unknown Soldier wrote:
peep wrote:Confused.  I had cia.  Had applied for cias, then new system came in.  Where do I see cias?  Is it not combined now or do you see it displayed?  Maybe I need to resubmit it🤔
that was the card trick pulled by the PM, on April 1 2019, he combined/did away with 6 benefits veterans were previously entitled to. Before apr 1 , if you were deemed to have a DEC, you would now be guaranteed your ELB/IRB til death, PLUS , if you were already receiving CIA at that time, you would also start getting an extra $1145 a month in a benefit called Career Impact Allowance SUPPLEMENT. ...BUT, now that’s gone, and many veterans had the wool pulled over their eyes regarding it in the months leading up to its disposal. As of apr 1 2019, if a veteran has CIA its now called Pain and Suffering, they can still apply for DEC , if they get it, they will still keep their ELB/IRB til death, but that $1145 has been swept under the carpet, not even mentioned by VAC, because they don’t want current vets complaining for it. You’ll basically need a Class Action Lawsuit to get it reinstated because Legion, Ovo,MP can do nothing to help a vet who missed out on it.

Unknown Soldier...... the CIA is not the PSC...it is the APSC (as per the VO's chart I previously attached). The CIAS DID NOT have levels.

"FOR A VETERAN WITH DEC DESIGNATION:
2018 CIAS: $1145.36/month"

PEEP: You are correct....the CIAS is now combined into the IRB

"for Veterans and survivors currently in receipt of ELB, RISB, and/or the CIAS, these
amounts are protected as the new IRB amount and indexed annually."

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Mon 31 Aug 2020, 11:43

Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Mon 31 Aug 2020, 11:40

I believe there is some confusion regarding the CIA/CIAS and the PSC/APSC and how they changed.

The attached link (chart) from the VO shows how the CIA and CIAS transitioned.

https://www.ombudsman-veterans.gc.ca/eng/reports/infographics/pension-life

The CIA:

2018: Career Impact Allowance:
TAXABLE lifetime monthly payment. Grade levels, indexed annually:
1. $1868.90, 2. $1245.95, 3. $622.97

The APSC:

2019: Additional Pain and Suffering Compensation:
NON-TAXABLE lifetime
monthly payment.
Grade levels, indexed annually:
1. $1500, 2. $1000, 3. $500

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Mon 31 Aug 2020, 06:57

Peep - The old Cias was changed too APSC, Additional Pain and Suffering Compensation, on 1 Apr, 2019. It still has 3 levels, 3 - $500, 2 - 1000, and 1 - 1500. If you had CIAS, it would have been switched over. If you feel your condition as worsened, you can put in for a reassessment. I am now at 72 wks, on my APSC reassessment. Hope this helps. VVV
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by peep Sun 30 Aug 2020, 22:21

Confused. I had cia. Had applied for cias, then new system came in. Where do I see cias? Is it not combined now or do you see it displayed? Maybe I need to resubmit it🤔
peep
peep
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 843
Registration date : 2012-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Aug 2020, 12:48

It was increased by parliamentary review in 2011 as a supplement to the original allowance as the allowance was found to be too low. The original amount was $1000. Found the below in reference on a ombudsman review from 2012:

On March 24, 2011, Bill C-55, An Act to amend the Canadian Forces Members and Veterans Re-establishment and Compensation Act and the Pension Act, received royal assent. The Act introduced measures to improve benefits for permanently and severely injured Veterans and was a first step in the long-awaited process of making improvements to the New Veterans Charter. Bill C-55 corrected a technical flaw that prevented Veterans with disability benefits under both Acts from accessing the Exceptional Incapacity Allowance or the Permanent Impairment Allowance, introduced a monthly $1,000 supplement for permanently and severely injured Veterans, and introduced payment options for the disability award

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 09 Aug 2020, 08:42

I believe it started out at a flat $1100, but it was increased due to COLA.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Fri 07 Aug 2020, 13:32

Unknown Soldier wrote:I understand that on apr 1 2019 VAC did away with the Career Impact Allowance Suppliment as an attachment to those veterans with a Diminished Earning Capacity. But how was it calculated and how much was it , if there is anyone here receiving it? Was it a flat sum, was the amount connected to anything else like years served, severity of injuries etc, did it go up with inflation, could it be taken as a lump sum etc.? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I’m not being nosey, it’s for a proposed court case.

Here is some more info:

The CIAS became protected as the new IRB amount and indexed annually.

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/pdf/about-vac/legislation-policies/policies/doc2830-income-replacement-benefit-transition-policy-01042019-01-eng.pdf

https://www.ombudsman-veterans.gc.ca/pdfs/infographics/pfl-info-e.pdf

As far as how it was calculated......possibly ask VAC through My VAC Account so you can have a paper trail.

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Fri 07 Aug 2020, 00:45

Riddick wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:I understand that on apr 1 2019 VAC did away with the Career Impact Allowance Suppliment as an attachment to those veterans with a Diminished Earning Capacity. But how was it calculated and how much was it , if there is anyone here receiving it? Was it a flat sum, was the amount connected to anything else like years served, severity of injuries etc, did it go up with inflation, could it be taken as a lump sum etc.? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I’m not being nosey, it’s for a proposed court case.

As far as I know UnKnown Soldier it was a flat rate ($1,145.36) and you had to be declared DEC to receive it.  I don't believe it could be taken as a lump sum.  As for inflation.....I do not know.

Riddick
thx, any idea how they arrived at that amount, ? $1145
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Thu 06 Aug 2020, 22:18

As far as I know UnKnown Soldier it was a flat rate ($1,145.36) and you had to be declared DEC to receive it. I don't believe it could be taken as a lump sum. As for inflation.....I do not know.

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Thu 06 Aug 2020, 22:00

I believe I may have more info........but in the interim, here is the PDF on CIA and CIA Supplement:

Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and CIA
Supplement
Issuing Authority: Director General, Policy and Research
Effective Date: April 1, 2017
Purpose
This policy provides guidance for the administration of the Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the CIA
supplement. (Formerly known as the Permanent Impairment Allowance (PIA) and PIA supplement; name change
effective April 1, 2017.)
Policy
General
The CIA was developed to recognize that severe permanent impairment may lead to economic loss with
respect to employment potential and career advancement opportunities, and to compensate Canadian
Armed Forces (CAF) Veterans for these losses. Research has shown that labour force participation is relative
to the presence and severity of health-related impairments. The eligibility for CIA is based upon the
existence of a permanent and severe impairment and the grade levels correspond to increased severity of
the impairment, years of CAF service, and capacity to earn.
For the purposes of this policy, the increase to the CIA legislated by subsection 38(3) of the Canadian
Forces Members and Veterans Re-establishment and Compensation Act (CFMVRCA), which came into force
October 3, 2011, will be described as the "CIA supplement".
The CIA and the CIA supplement are taxable, monthly allowances payable for life or until such time as the
Veteran no longer meets the eligibility requirements for payment. The amount of CIA payable is based on
the extent of the Veteran's permanent and severe impairment, loss of career progression, and potential
earning capacity. The payment of the CIA supplement is based on whether the Veteran has a Diminished
Earning Capacity (DEC) to the extent that prevents the Veteran from performing any occupation that would
be considered to be suitable gainful employment. (See Diminished Earning Capacity Policy)
Application
Effective July 1, 2015, a member of the CAF may apply for the CIA and the CIA supplement and the
Department may consider the application and render a decision. The CIA and the CIA Supplement are not
payable until the member becomes a Veteran (i.e. the day after the day the member’s release from the
CAF). (See the Eligibility section of this policy for more information).
The Department may consider the member’s circumstances when determining whether an application for
CIA or CIA supplement will be considered prior to release. For example, the Department may consider
whether the member is in the process of releasing from the CAF, particularly where the release is medical;
whether the member has been approved for rehabilitation services post release; and the severity of the
member’s service-related physical or mental health condition.
The CIA and CIA supplement eligibility requirements are such that the Department may already have on the
member’s/Veteran’s departmental file all the medical records and other necessary information to make a
decision. It is important that the member’s/Veteran’s personal information be protected and that the
member/Veteran provide informed consent to use their information, particularly when this information is
held on the departmental file for other purposes, such as the determination of eligibility for other Veterans
Affairs Canada (VAC) benefits.
Application for CIA, an increase in the grade level due to a reassessment, and the CIA supplement must be
made in writing by the member/Veteran or the member’s/Veteran’s legal representative and shall include:
a complete and signed approved departmental application form(s), which contains a declaration
attesting to the truth of the information provided. A signed letter may be acceptable in lieu of an
application form if it is accompanied by a signed affidavit or declaration attesting to the truth of the
information provided;
a.
reasonably recent medical reports or other records which document the health problem(s)
creating the permanent and severe impairment or the diminished earning capacity, as the case may
be; and
b.
at the request of the Minister, other information that is necessary to determine eligibility and
calculate the amount payable.
c.
The Department may request health professional reports, such as a VAC Nursing Assessment, the
Occupational Therapy Assessment and Optional Tools, Psychiatric/Psychology Reports, and Physician
Reports, if the information on the file is not sufficient for eligibility or assessment purposes.
The member/Veteran is considered to have made an application for the CIA and the CIA supplement when
all of the application requirements identified above are met to the satisfaction of the Department.
When considering an application for CIA and the CIA supplement from a member, the Department may
decide to render an eligibility decision and defer the assessment of the grade level until the member
releases from the CAF. In this case, the Department may request additional information needed to
determine the calculation at the time the assessment is actioned.
Eligibility
11. CIA is payable to a Veteran who:
has one or more physical or mental health problems that are creating a permanent and severe
impairment, and
a.
b. the Veteran has, in respect of each of those health problems,
i. had an application for rehabilitation services approved; and
received a disability award or a disability pension, or would have received an award or pension
but has not as the sum of the Veteran’s assessments and deemed assessments exceeds
100%, or has not received a disability award as the disability has not yet stabilized.
ii.
The phrase "has had an application for rehabilitation services approved" will include those cases where the
Veteran has already completed a rehabilitation plan. It will also include those cases where it is determined,
based on assessment, that the Veteran has a DEC.
Ineligibility
A Veteran who has received or is receiving an exceptional incapacity allowance under the Pension Act is not
eligible to be paid a CIA. (See Allowances)
Amounts Payable
The CIA payable is commensurable with the Veteran’s assessed grade level with Grade 1 being paid at the
maximum amount and Grade 3 the minimum amount as set out in items 1 and 2, Column 2, Schedule 2 of
the, CFMVRCA. Grade 2 is payable at a rate that is midway between Grade 1 and 3. Rates are indexed
annually; payments are made monthly.
Date Payable
15. The CIA and an increase in the grade level due to a reassessment, begins to be payable on the later of:
the day on which the application for the allowance was made (see the Application section of this
policy); and
a.
the day that is one year prior to the day on which the application for the allowance is approved, i.e.
one year prior to the decision date; and
b.
c. the day after the day of the member’s release from the CAF.
The effective date cannot pre-date the later of the decisions by which the Veteran has an application for
rehabilitation services approved and has been granted a disability benefit for the health problem(s) that are
causing the permanent and severe impairment.
The definition of a “permanent and severe impairment” in section 40(f) of the Canadian Forces Members
and Veterans Re-establishment and Compensation Regulations (CFMVRCR) was changed on April 1, 2015 to
include “a severe and permanent limitation in mobility and/or self-care.” The policy definition in paragraph
20.h of this policy represents this expanded regulatory definition. Where eligibility for CIA is granted using
the criteria in paragraph 20.h, the effective date cannot predate April 1, 2015.
Definition in Regulation
As per section 40 of the CFMVRCR, a permanent and severe impairment is:
a. an amputation at or above the elbow or the knee;
b. the amputation of more than one upper or lower limb at any level;
c. a total and permanent loss of the use of a limb;
d. a total and permanent loss of vision, hearing or speech;
e. a severe and permanent psychiatric condition;
f. a severe and permanent limitation in mobility or self-care;
g. a permanent requirement for supervision.
Definition in Policy
For the purposes of this policy the following definitions apply:
“Permanent” means that the impairment or requirement is expected to persist indefinitely despite treatment
or interventions. With respect to the impairment, although the signs and symptoms may wax and wane over
time; further recovery is not anticipated.
“Permanent and severe impairment” is defined as any one of the following:
a. An amputation, or loss by physical separation, of a limb at or above the elbow or the knee; or
b. Two or more amputations of limbs at or above the ankle, or at or above the wrist; or
The permanent loss of use of a limb such as may result from a permanent paralysis of an arm or a
leg to the extent that it is essentially useless for any practicable purposes in carrying out activities of
daily living. Consideration should also be given to severe amputations that contribute to the loss of
use of a limb at any level; or
c.
Legal blindness which is defined by the Canadian National Institute for the Blind as worse than or
equal to 20/200 with best correction in the better eye or a visual field extent of less than 20 degrees
in diameter; or
d.
A loss of hearing of at least 300 Decibel Sum Hearing Loss (DSHL) over four frequencies in both ears;
or
e.
A loss of speech such that the Veteran’s audible communication has been reduced to a level
insufficient to meet needs of everyday speech and conversation; or
f.
A psychiatric condition, diagnosed according to the most recent version of the Diagnostic Statistical
Manual of Mental Disorders, that presents at least once per week symptoms of considerable
impairment of a Veteran’s functioning in the areas of thought and cognition; emotion, behaviour and
coping; activities of daily living; and/or treatment needs; or
g.
This paragraph defines severe and permanent limitations caused through Activities of Daily Living
(ADLs) – specifically Mobility and Self-Care activities. For the purposes of this policy, Mobility is being
h.
looked at as a separate ADL from Self-Care to ensure that it is adequately evaluated. This recognizes
that impairment in Mobility can cause disproportionate impacts on employment.
For the purposes of this policy, Activities of Daily Living are:
Mobility (considered 1 ADL):
Transfers - changing the position of the body independently (e.g. positioning the body from lying to
sitting; sitting to standing; lying on the back to lying on the side, etc.)
Ambulation - moving the body from one point in space to another (e.g. climbing stairs, walking, etc.)
Self-care (6 ADLs):
Feeding – eating and drinking of prepared foods (e.g. cutting up food, buttering bread, etc.)
Washing- washing of face, trunk, extremities and hair.
Dressing – means putting on and taking off all pieces of indoor and outdoor clothing.
Grooming/Foot Care/Personal Care – brushing of hair and teeth, shaving and make-up application;
skin and nail care; cleansing and personal care associated with toileting.
Toileting – continence of bowel and bladder; using toilet facilities.
Taking medication – preparing and self-administering medication.
A severe and permanent limitation in Mobility or Self-care is evident where the Veteran, all or
substantially all of the time, has any of the following Mobility or Self-care limitations (i. – viii.):
An “inordinate amount of time” is defined as significantly more time than it would take an individual
of the same age to complete the activity in the absence of the impairment.
An “inordinate frequency” is defined as completing the activity significantly more often than an
individual of the same age in the absence of the impairment.
“Supervision” is defined as requiring on at least a twice per week basis for at least one hour per visit,
and is considered safe when left alone for longer periods of time.
Mobility:
unable to transfer or ambulate independently (i.e. total assistance), even with the aid of
medication, therapy or an assistive device (e.g. cane, crutches, walker, wheelchair, shower
lift, etc.), or
i.
able to perform less than 50% of the tasks associated with transferring or ambulating
without the assistance of another person (i.e. maximal/significant assistance; Veteran
provides less than half of the effort); or
ii.
takes an inordinate amount of time, to transfer or ambulate, even with the aid of
medication, therapy or an assistive device (e.g. cane, crutches, walker, wheelchair, etc.); or
Examples: Veteran takes significantly more time to transfer from sitting to standing
even with the use of raised seating due to chronic pain, limited flexibility or
coordination; Walking is limited to 50 m or less before resting.
iii.
Self-Care (must demonstrate the impairment with at least two Self-care activities):
unable to perform any of the tasks associated with two Self-care activities independently
(total assistance; or
Examples: Veteran is fed by another person and requires another person to dress him
or her; Veteran is totally incontinent and unable to manage incontinent supplies and
personal care without the assistance of another person.
iv.
able to perform less than 50% of the tasks associated with two Self-care activities without the
assistance of another person (i.e. maximal/significant assistance; Veteran provides less than
half of the effort with each Self-care activity); or
Examples: Veteran needs assistance with foods that require utensils to be used and
Veteran needs assistance with closures and getting clothing over his/her head; Veteran
requires a permanent colostomy and needs the assistance of another person with most
aspects of colostomy care.
v.
takes an inordinate amount of time to complete two Self-care activities even with the aid of
medication, therapy or an assistive device (e.g. reachers, toilet safety rails; shower chair,
etc.); or
Examples: Veteran takes medication for chronic pain but still takes significantly more
time to perform tasks associated with bathing and grooming.
vi.
has an inordinate frequency in how often two Self-care activities are completed daily, causing
significant interference with his or her ability to participate in normal daily activities; or
Example: Veteran suffers from chronic ulcerative colitis which causes noticeable
increase in the frequency of bowel movements and/or soiling during flare-ups, requiring
the need for frequent personal care. This causes the Veteran to have frequent absences
from work, and the Veteran limits social community activities.
vii.
Cumulative Effects of limitations in Activities of Daily Living
Experiences limitations in most of the ADL’s defined at the beginning of paragraph h., which
when taken together have an equivalent impact on the person as h.i-vii above.
Example: Requiring minimal assistance from another person with 4 ADLs may have an
equivalent impact to the impairment caused by requiring the assistance of another
person with 50% or more of the tasks associated with 2 Self-care activities, or the
impairment caused by taking an inordinate amount of time to complete 2 Self-care
activities (i.e. impairments described in paragraphs h.v and h.vi above).
Definitions for the purposes of the Extent of Impairment and Career Impact section
viii.
i. “frequent” means at least once per week;
j. “persistent” means daily or almost daily;
k. “continuous” means for the whole of the activity;
“imputed income” is defined in the policy “Earnings Loss Benefit - Determination of the Monthly Imputed
Income;”
l.
Overlapping Medical Conditions
In some situations, it may be difficult, to medically separate the impact of a health condition for which a
disability benefit has been granted from other non-awarded health conditions. In circumstances where there
is a reasonable doubt or uncertainty as to whether the permanent and severe impairment is due to the
health problem for which the applicant is in receipt of a disability benefit, then the reasonable doubt or
uncertainty may be resolved in the Veteran’s favour.
Assessment of Grade Level
The CIA is payable at three grade levels, based on the extent of the permanent impairment. The CIA grade
levels were developed based on a variety of research, which outlined indicators for determining the extent
of severe impairment, such as the need for institutionalized care, the degree of the loss of use of a limb, the
frequency of symptoms, the need for supervision and assistance with activities of daily living, all of which
can impact employment potential and career advancement opportunities. The grade level is determined
using the criteria provided in the Extent of Impairment and Career Impact section of this policy.
Effective April 1, 2017, in addition to the mental and physical impairment factors, the Department will
assess the Veteran’s earning capacity and consider the number of years the Veteran had left to serve in the
CAF. The grade level is determined using the criteria provided in the Extent of Impairment and Career
Impact section of this policy.
a. Years left to serve is the result of subtracting the Veteran’s duration of service in the CAF from 25.
Twenty-five years is the duration of service required to receive an immediate annuity under the Canadian
Forces Superannuation Act. b. Due to compulsory retirement in the CAF being age 60, in cases where the
Veteran could not have served 25 years, the years left to serve value is the lesser of the calculation in
subsection a. and the number of years a Veteran could have served until the age of 60
As a result of the assessments conducted, in the event that the assessed grade levels differ, the Veteran
will be assigned the grade level with the highest amount payable.
The result of the assessment of the degree of loss of earning capacity alone cannot change the Veteran’s
DEC status. The delegated decision maker should refer to the Diminished Earning Capacity Policy for
guidance when considering a change in the Veteran’s DEC status.
Reassessment of a Grade Level
A Veteran may apply in writing for a reassessment of the grade level of the CIA. (See the Application
section of this policy for more information).
A reassessment of grade level may be conducted if there is evidence of a change in the Veteran’s health
condition or capacity to earn.
28. The effective date of any increase in the CIA grade level is defined in the Date Payable section of this policy.
29. The effective date of any decrease in the CIA grade level will be effective the date of the next payment.
Extent of Impairment and Career Impact
Grade 1:
Most severe level of physical, functional and/or mental impairment. To determine that Veterans have
this extent of impairment, they must meet at least one of the following criteria:
Functionally, these Veterans:
A. require long-term hospitalizations; or
B. are approaching the need for institutionalization or be institutionalized; or
require continuous physical assistance of another person with 6 of 7 activities of daily
living (ADLs) as defined in paragraph 20.h.; or
C.
D. daily supervision and are not considered safe when left alone.
i.
a.
OR
Physically, these Veterans include those who have:
A. quadriplegia; or
B. paraplegia; or
C. bilateral upper extremity amputation (at or above wrist); or
D. bilateral lower extremity amputation (at or above the ankle).
ii.
OR
ii. Mentally, these Veterans:
show obvious signs and behaviour that are influenced by delusions or
hallucinations not controlled with psychiatric care and demonstrate gross
impairment in communication or judgement i.e. grossly inappropriate, incoherent
or mute; or
A.
B. require total care and supervision in the home or an institutionalized setting.
OR
b. For earning capacity and years left to serve assessment, these Veterans:
i. Have been determined to have a DEC, have the potential to earn a maximum of 33.3%
of their imputed income, and have more than 15 years left to serve.
Grade 2:
Lesser extent of functional, mental and/or physical impairment than those in Grade 1. To
determine that Veterans have this extent of impairment, they must meet at least one of the
following criteria:
i. Functionally, these Veterans:
require the physical assistance of another person with 50% or more of the tasks
associated with transferring and ambulation (Mobility); or 4 Self-care activities,
as defined in paragraph 20.h.; or
A.
take an inordinate amount of time to complete transferring and ambulation
(Mobility); or 4 Self-care activities, as defined in paragraph 20.h.; or
B.
have cumulative effects of limitations in most ADLs, as defined in paragraph
19.h., that equal i. or ii. above; or
C.
requires daily supervision and is considered safe when left alone for very short
periods of time, such as 2 to 3 hours during the day, or 5 to 6 hours overnight.
D.
a.
OR
A. a complete and permanent loss of vision; or
B. irrecoverable loss of use of an upper and lower limb; or
a single upper or lower limb amputation at the hip or shoulder (no viable stump);
or
C.
double limb amputations, i.e. at or above the ankle for the lower extremity and
at or above the wrist for the involved upper extremity (viable stump).
D.
ii.
OR
Mentally, these Veterans include those who:
suffer from a psychiatric condition with persistent symptoms of extreme
impairment of one’s ability to think clearly, respond emotionally, communicate
effectively, understand reality and behave appropriately. There is overt evidence
of the disease, chronic psychotic illness; or
A.
suffer from a psychiatric condition which require long periods of inpatient
hospital care or a combination of inpatient hospital care and outpatient care
(greater than 8 weeks, cumulative, within a 6 month period); e.g. a full time
day program; or
B.
require recurrent hospitalization, i.e. greater than 3 times per year, without
recovery.
C.
iii.
OR
Have been determined to have a DEC, have the potential to earn between 33.4% to
66.6% of their imputed income, and have more than 5 years left to serve; or
i.
Have been determined to have a DEC, have the potential to earn a maximum of 33.3%
of their imputed income and have more than 5 years left to serve and up to and
including 15 years left to serve.
ii.
Grade 3:
Lesser extent of functional, mental and/or physical impairment than those in Grade 2. To
determine that Veterans have this extent of impairment, they must meet at least one of the
following criteria:
Functionally, these Veterans:
require the physical assistance of another person with 50% or more of the tasks
associated with transferring or ambulation (Mobility); or 2 Self-Care activities, as
defined in paragraph 19.h.; or
A.
take an inordinate amount of time to complete transferring or ambulation
(Mobility); or 2 Self-care activities, as defined in paragraph 19.h.; or
B.
have an inordinate frequency in how often 2 Self-care activities are completed
daily; or
C.
have cumulative effects of limitations in most ADLs, as defined in paragraph
19.h., that equal i., ii. or iii. above; or
D.
require supervision on at least a twice per week basis for at least one hour per
visit, and is considered safe when left alone for longer periods of time.
E.
i.
OR
A. a total and permanent loss of hearing; or
B. a total and permanent loss of speech; or
C. a single upper extremity amputation at or above the elbow; or
D. a single lower amputation at or above the knee; or
E. irrecoverable loss of use of a limb.
ii.
OR
Mentally:
these Veterans suffer from severe and frequent symptoms of moderate to
extreme impairment of one’s ability to think clearly, respond emotionally,
communicate effectively, understand reality and behave appropriately causing
considerable distress; or
A.
these Veterans suffer from persistent depressive and anxiety symptoms causing
persistent distress requiring chronic use (greater than 2 years) of medication
B.
iii.
a.
and psychiatric care with no period of sustained recovery and all recreational and
social activities are abandoned.
OR
i. Are not determined to have a DEC; or
ii. Have 5 years left to serve.
Supplement Eligibility
The CIA supplement is payable to a Veteran who:
a. is in receipt of CIA (see the Eligibility section of this policy); and
b. has been determined to have a DEC.
Veterans who have been approved for rehabilitation services may be determined to have a DEC. For
guidance regarding the DEC determination, see the Diminished Earning Capacity policy.
Supplement Amounts Payable
Eligible Veterans will receive a monthly CIA supplement as set out in item 2.1, column 2, Schedule 2 of the
CFMVRCA. The supplement is paid in addition to the amount payable commensurate with the Veteran’s CIA
grade level and is indexed annually.
The grade level does not affect the amount of supplement payable; the supplement is a flat rate irrespective
of grade level.
Supplement Date Payable
The CIA supplement begins to be payable the later of:
the day on which the application for the supplement was made (see the Application section of this
policy);
a.
the day that is one year prior to the day on which the application for the supplement is approved, i.e.
one year prior to the decision date.
b.
c. the day after the day of the member's release from the CAF.
38. The effective date cannot pre-date the decision by which the Veteran is determined to have a DEC.
39. The effective date cannot predate October 3, 2011 (i.e. the implementation date of the CFMVRCA.)
Supplement Duration of Payment
The CIA supplement will continue to be payable until such time as the Veteran is either:
a. no longer eligible for the CIA; or
b. no longer determined to have a DEC.
Suspension
A Veteran who is in receipt of the CIA shall provide on request medical records, reports or any other
information that is necessary to enable the Minister to assess continued eligibility for the CIA, the CIA
supplement or the amount payable (i.e. Grade level).
The Minister may suspend the payment of the CIA and/or the CIA supplement to a Veteran who fails to
submit requested information until such information or documentation is provided.
Before suspending the payment to a Veteran, the Minister shall provide the Veteran with written notification
of the reasons for the suspension and the effective date of the suspension.
In cases where the CIA and/or CIA supplement are suspended, the payment shall resume when the
requested information or documents have been received and the effective date will be the date from which
the payment was suspended.
Cancellation
The Minister may, for the purposes of determining whether a Veteran may continue to receive the CIA
and/or the CIA supplement, require the Veteran to undergo a medical examination or assessment by a
person specified by the Minister. If a Veteran fails without reasonable excuse to do so, the Minister may
cancel the CIA and/or the supplement.
On cancelling the payment of the CIA and/or CIA supplement, the Minister shall provide the Veteran with
written notification of the reasons for the cancellation, the effective date of the cancellation and their rights
for review.
In cases where the CIA and/or CIA supplement is cancelled, the payment shall be discontinued effective the
date of the next payment. Where an allowance has been suspended, the cancellation will be effective from
the date of the suspension.
Death of the Veteran
CIA and CIA supplement payments cease the first day of the month following the date of the Veteran’s
death.
In the event that a Veteran dies prior to receiving a CIA payment, and supplement if applicable, the CIA and
CIA Supplement may be payable to the Veteran’s estate if:
a. the Veteran had completed an application for the allowance; and
b. prior to the applicant’s death the Minister had communicated a favourable decision to the Veteran.
Review of Decisions
A Veteran who is dissatisfied with any CIA or CIA supplement decision may request a review in writing. (See
the Review Part 2 and Part 3.1 Decisions under the Canadian Forces Members and Veterans
Re-establishment and Compensation Act policy.)
Canadian Forces Members and Veterans Re-establishment and Compensation Act, sections 38, 39, 40, 75.2, 83,
and schedule 2
Pension Act, section 72
Canadian Forces Members and Veterans Re-establishment and Compensation Regulations, sections 40, 41, 42, 43,
44, 45, 46, 68, and 69
Diminished Earning Capacity
Earnings Loss Benefit - Determination of the Monthly Imputed Income and Variable "A" (90% of the Monthly
Imputed Income
Review Part 2 and Part 3.1 Decisions under the Canadian Forces Members and Veterans Re-establishment and
Compensation Act
Allowances
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next