Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

January 9th

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

January 9th Empty Re: January 9th

Post by Guest Wed 02 Jan 2013, 20:05

saber now that is great info i will definately be passing this on thank you verry much.

propat

Back to top Go down

January 9th Empty Release items and new rules

Post by sabrelove Wed 02 Jan 2013, 20:01

K9, there is no 3C release. Only 3a and b for medical. You may be thinking of a 5c release which is Completed Service for Which Required.

Of note, I was at a seminar for release clerks last year. Previously, if you had medical issues and voluntarily (4a or b) released because you didn't want to wait for the medical process to be completed, if it was determined that you qualified for a medical release after release, your release item was changed to a 3a or b and you were able to claim the medical benefits of a medical release.

Now, if you have medical issues and voluntarily release before the medical process is complete, then after release it is deemed that you should have had a medical release, your release item is changed to a "4c (or 4a) deemed medical", not changed to an item 3 release. This means that you are not entitled to medical benefits of a medical release.

This change to the release item is not happening at unit or base level so not all release clerks know of this. A lot were surprised by this announcement at the release seminar.

Should you wish to re-enrol in the forces, you may not be able to because of medical reasons.

So now, if you know someone who wants to release that may have injuries attributable to military service, advise them to NOT voluntarily release, no matter how pissed off they are as it may affect their potential benefits.

Sabrelove

Last edited by sabrelove on Wed 02 Jan 2013, 20:11; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

sabrelove
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2012-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Jan 2013, 18:54

I know there is a joke in there somewhere....Being (b) rated is not like a 'B' rated movie at least in a 'B' rated movie there just may be some T&A!

Back to top Go down

Post by K9 Wed 02 Jan 2013, 18:53

3c is normal exit of the army after contract ends, alot left after contract in bad medical shape and had to fight to get sisip or a change of medical category. Some fought 10 years to get it changed and then received from sisip 10 years of back time less VA Pensions.
K9
K9
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Newfie Wed 02 Jan 2013, 18:50

3 Medical

3(a) On medical grounds, being disabled and unfit to perform duties as a member of the Service.
3(b) On medical grounds, being disabled and unfit to perform his duties in his present trade or employment, and not otherwise advantageously employable under existing service policy.

Newfie
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2013-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Jan 2013, 18:17

I don't know I thought medicals were 3a and 3b, I was 3a

Back to top Go down

Post by Wife of a Veteran Wed 02 Jan 2013, 18:15

Last edited by Wife of a Veteran on Sat 09 Feb 2013, 16:55; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ,)

Wife of a Veteran
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by K9 Wed 02 Jan 2013, 17:49

The way it should work will be the same for those who applied to Sisip years after they were out because they finally changed their 3c to 2b.

Sisip will calculate all what is owed, including all that is in the accepted proposal, they will substract what goes to the law firm under the specification of Judge Barnes Court order on fees, and the will send to the Fed and Prov Gov the taxes you are suposed to pay. So what you will get will be what is left. At the end of the fiscal year, you will do you Fed and Prov income tax report and you will send more money or you will receive some back.

It will be very important to have an accountant that knows why and whats about all the setlement. Then it will be The Fed and Prov who will tell you or leave you the choice if it is best for you to put it all in a fiscal year or to push it on many years.

For the questions about the fees, under the law, it is a service and we have to pay the GST on it. For those in the same Province where the Lawyers have an office, they should pay the Provincial sales tax, but then, this should all be in a memo from our lawyers.

Chears,

Patrick.

By the way, in some Class Actions, the proposal tells each member individually what they are intitled to, so I hope that if someone receives the proposal, it means automaticly that they are going to receive there retro and they are accepted to receive their money and wont have to wait to find out later if they are in or not!

K9
K9
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Jan 2013, 17:08

I was told a couple of months ago by my old cm at sisip that they would be doing it and all they needed to know was how far to go back

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Jan 2013, 16:58

Will manualife do the tax calculation on retro, like they do on the going forward payment?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Jan 2013, 16:19

What I am wondering about is this talk about spreading the retro over a number of tax years? Who does it? I assumed when sisip issues the retro cheques they will just issue them like they issue our monthly ltd , just withdraw whatever tax is owed by the tax chart guide? Will we have to apply at the end of the next tax year and get the deduction then? If sisip had to apply it to every tax year for everyone would it not take alot longer to figure out?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Jan 2013, 14:35

bigrex april sounds about right to me.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 02 Jan 2013, 12:01

While I think that it would be nice, and quite possible, to get our cheques by end of February, which would be really nice because I'm closing on my new home on the 28th) but I figure that the money will likely start flowing end of March to early April.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Jan 2013, 07:44

Thanks Patrick,
But why didn't they just make it public and not wait until the 9th Jan 2013 if they just need feedback for us. So people to think that they are going to get check by mid Jan are out to lunch. I believe it going to be some time yet.

Chimo

Back to top Go down

Post by K9 Tue 01 Jan 2013, 22:56

I love it to read the "Guest" who writes with all is knowledge!

Bla bla bla, as if the Rules of the Federal Court was that stupid!

It will be a proposal, the Judge as the final word, nobody else, there is no 51 percent of the class here, is it in the best interest of the Class or no? Letters positive or negative will help the Judge to decide, and the letters positive or negative will have an impact on the Judge's decision.

We will know soon enough, and hopefully, we will all be happy,

Chears,

Patrick.
K9
K9
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content