Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What would you do to get 66 000 000$, (disapointment) !

+6
Wife of a Veteran
oldsailor
Rags
bigrex
Teentitan
K9
10 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

What would you do to get 66 000 000$, (disapointment) ! - Page 8 Empty Re: What would you do to get 66 000 000$, (disapointment) !

Post by Guest Tue 19 Feb 2013, 08:00

Big Rex, I was only joking about the education fund, I am not a big fan of that part!

Back to top Go down

What would you do to get 66 000 000$, (disapointment) ! - Page 8 Empty Re: What would you do to get 66 000 000$, (disapointment) !

Post by Guest Tue 19 Feb 2013, 07:52

Again propat way too many questions left open for interpretation and that is why a lot of people are confused when they come here for information, all they see are figures and the odd lol your wrong and then the standoff begins, that is why we need the legal and administrative professionalism like yesterday. Put forth another 8600 hours of professional help then i won't have a hard time paying deserved legal fees.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 19 Feb 2013, 07:22

robbie on that point i belive it was sparrow who asked for some assistantce with the request for tax payer relife forms.the responce she recived was we are all in differant situations.this i find verry stange.yes we are but for checking the appropriate boxes in question one and answering question five (the only questions we would like help with)the answers would be exactly the same for everyone in the class.now from my understanding the GOC stated that they took the 3.27 without batting an eye.now peter it seems is saying he had to fight hard just to get that.now i have another question.would a law firm that cared about this issue and ended up with 3.27 do the checks on question one and answer question five on a single form then distribute a copy to the class in their worksheet package ore are they leagally prevented from doing so?this is all verry curious to me.i know the we are all in different situations doesnt fly not unless im missing something.after all the times i said i think the lawyers got the best deal they could have gotten in a negotiated settlement why just now am i getting some info that is starting to make me doubt that?

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 19 Feb 2013, 06:51

I am glad you stood your ground Patrick, cest bon mon compainge. As far as Peter is concerned he has done his job, while else come here and complain about not doing his job. He (Peter) has actually done enough to bring this farce to a media bonanza about legal fees and how great everything is. Well I am not impressed Peter, I have said time after time and I will repeat it once more for you. When you lead a battle always lead from the front. This is what you get for throwing us into a corner for 6 1/2 years and feeding us shit. Gag orders, media bans, non-disclosures, 106 word English god bless you) update on the most dramatic day in our suit lives and you toss us few CSAT members an idiot bone. If you look around and not just here on CSAT many of the 7500 veterans are confused and still have no idea what the hell you have done will do or can accomplish. You want the 65000000 million take it and split it 3 ways, but before you do do you think you can hire a CRA rep that knows all the provincial laws and how about a CA as well. I was serious months ago when I asked this question but you avoided any response other than tell me to seek proper legal counsel if I was unhappy with your service. I not upset in fact I will be standing next to Peter Stoffer as we both regurgitate our lunches in a ceremonial "who the hell are you kidding" spew fest.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 19 Feb 2013, 00:19

Nav, I stated on a different thread that the education fund is BS. The lawyers said that they were happy with it, as in lieu of damages, but the proposal states that only 4000 class members are allowed to seek any money from it. That mean that 4.8 million of the fund, that we are paying legal fees on, will not benefit anyone in the class. It will be used for ELB recipients. So, we the class could be paying over $884000 in legal fees on the 4.8 million, so OTHER Veterans can use this money.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4064
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 19 Feb 2013, 00:11

Rex, the education fund, you can't forget the education fund!

Back to top Go down

Post by K9 Tue 19 Feb 2013, 00:04

Navrat, First, McInnes Cooper wasn't here for a long long time, it is an open forum and their is no bashing here, I am saying what disapointment I had coming back from Halifax, guess what, I spoke with 5 different person, wich for some I never knew about, they all felt the same way. Nothing here talks about the setlement offer, the stipend, but just the fees. Justice Canada lawyers got their share of people saying that GOC was wrong and should have payed the fees and ...
People may have said otherwise in 3 years, but with all each others reasons, past, and frustration, it was ok to say so.
Everyone has a right to be happy, sad, angry or completly detached of this.
I feel this way about what is above, I have reasons to feel this way, and that as nothing to do with the work done in the past. The Justice Canada lawyers did their representation under a request from the Court as a friend of the Court, not representing DND here.
All this here as to do with fees, I don't care about what will come out of my pocket for fees and taxes and I will deal personnaly with the deamed tax issu, and the topo up I gained to compensate the lost.
What I didn't like is that even if I understood the fees on forward and backward I worned people here months ago and was told, no way our lawteam would ask for them......
Guess what, they are but differently wich is ok.
The 7.5 percent thing had even in Court 3 person asking me if the fee changed and that is not right, it messed alot of people that didn't understand what was going on, can I who understand blame them or think they are ....
No way.
Even Judge Barnes said that the silence of those who did'nt write submissions does not mean a side taken here.
Being there opened my eyes, it is probably the fact that I didn't see this coming that sadenned me, this was the 15 th and since then, the puzle is forming itself.

It doesn't change the job done, what DM did, but it shows me that all is busniss, and nothing more. Lots of things the Judge said flashes back and the garden wasn't so green for me. I wrote what I felt here, I can be refered as a winner and a whatever you want to, I will wear the hat, I feel like this now and I keep lots to me. This is how I feel and if you prefer me not being here, I will do so, because I am bo liar, I speak my mind and here , even if you don't like what I wrote, I am doing this openly, not as an hypocrit, and I wrote what sadened me, try to find me once bashing someone around. It is time for me to go forward and this is my last post speaking of the past. I'll be back writing the after SISIP, happy with Judge Barnes decision and still being truthfull.
Look at my picto closely, we are here to be able to vent, speak our minds and not trash anyone, for one to leave, it is his decision, maybe will it be mine! I am just disapointed and I have good reason to be and all this as nothing to do with a check I could receive in the future!

Last edited by K9 on Tue 19 Feb 2013, 00:48; edited 1 time in total
K9
K9
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 18 Feb 2013, 23:54

Well, I wouldn't say that the forums pushed Peter away, since he has been almost non existent on here for quite a while. In fact I was almost in shock that he had posted anything, let alone what he posted. The last time he posted anything was on the 14th of January, even though there have been members asking questions about the format of the fees, or seeking answers to other aspects of the settlement proposal, but yet our lawyer remained silent throughout. I said during my presentation that I was thankful of the law team for getting us this far, and I truly am, but don't mistake being grateful for being foolish or naive, for I am neither. Everybody knew that the GoC wasn't going to be very generous voluntarily, but we expected our lawyers to demand a satisfactory resolution, based on the paperwork that they filed with the courts. We were never told that damages were next to impossible to get, even if we had gone to trial, until the negotiations started. If that is the law, then why bother listing a grocery list of different types of damages they wanted in the Statement of Claim. If the Federal Courts Act states that there are no cost awards, then why did they state they were seeking cost because the Defendants actions were so egregious that costs should be warranted. If I hired a contractor, and he said that with so much money, that he could fix my floor, give me a new roof, and redo my kitchen and I agreed to it. If at the end of the renos, he did redo the floor, but all he did was patch the roof and repaint the kitchen, and then he tells me that he was never allowed to do anything to the roof or replace the cabinets in the kitchen, but he thought he would just throw those into the mix to sweeten the deal to get me to sign on, do you think that I would be happy about paying him all that money for just doing some cosmetic work. That is what happened here. Our lawyers offered to build us our four bedroom dream home, but instead we ended up with a one bedroom fixer upper in dire need of some major renovations, except the building plans are already approved and we have very little chance of getting the blueprints changed.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4064
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Feb 2013, 23:54

Snoopy, in his World War I flying ace uniform climbs atop his doghouse .....and say Maverick has left the Building !

God Bless the United Provinces and Territories of Canada

Navrat I am coming this summer for that beer
!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Feb 2013, 23:43

Crash and burn, Maverick, it feels like when we lost Goose!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Feb 2013, 23:36

Navrat wrote:I just got a pm from Peter and I guess another CSAT member, our lawyer, is not going to come back on here! I truly hope some dont chase all the good ones away. It's one thing to have a debate and exchange information but to throw out untruths , it's just plain wrong. No matter what anyone thinks about what percentage of legal fees should be paid, nobody can tell me this lawyer and law firm did not go guns blazing in our defence. Yes, some things like damages which the GOC never wanted to or were legally bound to pay were discussed because why, they couldn't legally bring them up, plus goc had no intention of paying legal fees, so it's a game they are playing now. CSAT had access to one of the lawyers which was very special and provided us with great insight, now instead of celebrating with our legal we push him away. Unbelievable

Navrat you know I like you ...but your opinions flow like the winds ..

Everyone here has a right to express themselves allow K9 to justify his words.( if there is lies let them each deal with it)
I hope Peter when he sees the Cheque for 30 million or more he find happiness.
We will be delighted for them and also for us with slightly more change in our pockets.

Last edited by ThomasCruiseAkaTopGunner on Mon 18 Feb 2013, 23:48; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Feb 2013, 23:19

I just got a pm from Peter and I guess another CSAT member, our lawyer, is not going to come back on here! I truly hope some dont chase all the good ones away. It's one thing to have a debate and exchange information but to throw out untruths , it's just plain wrong. No matter what anyone thinks about what percentage of legal fees should be paid, nobody can tell me this lawyer and law firm did not go guns blazing in our defence. Yes, some things like damages which the GOC never wanted to or were legally bound to pay were discussed because why, they couldn't legally bring them up, plus goc had no intention of paying legal fees, so it's a game they are playing now. CSAT had access to one of the lawyers which was very special and provided us with great insight, now instead of celebrating with our legal we push him away. Unbelievable

Back to top Go down

What would you do to get 66 000 000$, (disapointment) ! - Page 8 Empty Open letter of my thoughts ...

Post by Guest Mon 18 Feb 2013, 23:17

Peter, Ward,Daniel,DennisM and MC Staff,

This is what disappointed me when Paul Vickery Crown attorney stated on the last day of the two-day hearing.
Paul said the three principal lawyers handling the veterans’ case logged about 8,600 hours and that the hourly rate for one of them amounted to about $13,400. ( You wouldn't provide an hourly breakdown as he requested)

“This fee request is plainly excessive and should not be approved,” he told the judge.

He argued that in other large class action lawsuits, like the $4-billion native residential school and $2-billion tainted blood settlements, lawyers were paid a far lower rate. ( Their approved rates were 3.25%-3.88% including disbursement.)

The settlement of the class-action suit in residential schools could see as much as $85 million to $100 million paid to lawyers, while the tainted-blood scandal saw a $52-million legal bill.

Point#1:
We all accepted that 30% was what Dennis signed on for but we had no idea that number was not even within J. Christs Divine Powers to Receive.

Point#2:
When you Peter lowered it to 17.83%- Wow we said good deal .

Point#3:
Then you attempt to sell it to the Media at 7.5%- They still don't see it clearly !!!
Judge Barnes did not come across to me as the sharpest cookie in the cupboard UNTIL he admitted to asking the crown to give a counter opinion on your fees. (Now to me he is smarter than a rocket scientist)

Wham- Right between the eyes I had clarity!!!! For the entire two days We, You, I, Everyone, Attacked the Crown, the GOC and Peter Mackay. (They deserved lots)

BUT:

As in a famous quote from the Movie Dumb and Dumber, I said, Silently to the Government of Canada, Peter Mackay, and the Crown

.Just when I thought you Feds couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and Almost totally redeem yourself.
(REF to support this quote see---Conclusion paragraphs 30 and 31 Defendants written submissions on the issue of reasonable legal fees 11th Feb 2013)

Peter,Dennis Ward and Dan and Staff , I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the good things you have done .

Not one person I know in this suit will deny you Lawyers all becoming Millionaires and more for this 7 year struggle.

Lets forget the 17.83% lets forget the 10 million scholarship bull shit
Let Judge Barnes give you 3.59% or $32000000.00 we all walk away with smiles and renewable lives.

With Respect
Signed
A Disabled Vet

LEST WE FORGET

PS: I encourage everyone to review Paul Vickery Bio - He was the Governments Senior Lead Counsel in all 4 super fund class action law suits

Last edited by ThomasCruiseAkaTopGunner on Mon 18 Feb 2013, 23:28; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by K9 Mon 18 Feb 2013, 23:16

I'll start by the end to say that I said more then 3 times that the Justice Canada lawyer were asked by the Court Judge Barnes to give their toughts to the Court to help him with the process. So here it is not GOC but the Justice Canada lawyers that represented the friend of the Court to give Judge Barnes a different position to give him more arguments to help him do his job.
We as a Class aren't expert in recommending fees to the Judge and if a surgeon saves my life, do you think it would make sense to give him my life for saving it. In a way, most of the class feel this way and it is normal considering what they have been thrue!
Second, I said to you and the Judge that this was the best deal possible on what you all told us and still believe it.
Third, I ask the Court no to reject the proposed setlement because I didn't want the Class to be the ones punished over the deamed tax issu because I tought I gave the Judge a good point that could of been something to think about to reject the offer but I decided to go on forward with this issu with a Judicial review on my own. To get in details, Many Courts decision stated that the deamed tax issu is to late to adress once the deal is accepted but they should be componsated by damages, those decisions and jurisprudence were given to the Court. So after bringning all this up I asked JB for the Class, not to reject the offer! But If I was alone, I would of asked to rejected it.
Third, I didn't talk about fees because what I felt about them wont change the fact that the Court and Judge knows more about it and I will respect their decision.
Fourth, Justice Canada lawyers showed not just to me but to all, that asking for the sky while we all live on earth is normal, the same that you asked for damages and then when not asking them anymore, you argue that we would only get 10000 in damages! We were all influenced by the fact that we were all treated like ... By the Forces, VaC and the GOC that we ow you so much. Yes we do, yes you did a great job, but their is a limit.
Fift, for the meeting we had, Yes I fought 7 years, first with a lawyer who made me loose my time! Sept 21 2006 I started on my own, to the end May 5th 2009. 2 years in a half through The Fed Court and Fed Court of Appeal and mediation. So same reasons, not to do an action and wanted me to do a Judicial review, same work, same result.
No lawyer, no secretary, no researcher, just me.
Last, All said here as to do with the fees, your arguments in Court to motivate 66 000 000, saying that the non speakers of the class are the same as those who wrote for the fees and that only a few were against. Not to talk to the Court as I did doesn't mean agreing. Anyways this is how I feel and being there opened changed my view, for the help that was asked at the Airport to another lawyer of your firm, it was'nt me but someone else and for the celebration, we were 3 sitting at a table for 4 hours and their was more a down feeling then a celabration going on, we were exhausted.
You did an amasing job, I'm disapointed of the deamed tax-top up issue! But looking at the 15 th and the fees asked, It opened my eyes and I'm keeping stuff for myself but whatever, you guys worked the best to claim what will be yours and the way it was done left me a salty taste, this is my opinion and how I feel, if I am a lier because this is the way I feel, be it.
Anyways, the Judge will close this deal and we will all go our ways and look at the future and forget the past,
I wich you well,
You said it was your last time here so if it is a fact, sorry you missed my comments, but many more wanted you here before with more important things asked and if just the fees issue make you feel this way, i'm sorry.
Regards.
Patrick.

Last edited by K9 on Tue 19 Feb 2013, 02:11; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : L)
K9
K9
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Feb 2013, 22:56

Is there still negioations regarding the cola ongoing?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum