Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ELB Class Action Law Suit

+14
LawnBoy77777
dmespi
jack22
1993firebird
Brasidas
EZRider
RCNRetired
loggie
sailor964
bigrex
meteck
chillier76
Teentitan
18 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

ELB Class Action Law Suit  - Page 7 Empty Re: ELB Class Action Law Suit

Post by Guest Mon 23 Mar 2015, 08:53

Rex that is soooooooo true. I welcome all improvements to veterans benefits from any government but honestly conservatives think that anyone on benefits is a waste of space and should be treated like dogs. Actions speak louder than words , nothing in black and white as of yet, and I can't help but think if the Tories did not need every vote possible because Trudeau is in the lead, would they even of proposed this, I don't know

Back to top Go down

Post by sailor964 Mon 23 Mar 2015, 06:46

Is this class action still a go ahead? Secondly since there meeting on March 12 has a court date been set?
sailor964
sailor964
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 23 Mar 2015, 01:36

Well, maybe now they can add reservists to the class, since the new changes to their ELB has no retroactivity. Sure it might be a slightly different beast, but it is essentially the same. And that is to give everyone the same level of support, regardless of when they received this benefit. It is not fair that reservists who have collected ELB between 2006 and present, had to scrape by with a maximum of $20000/year, which is below the poverty line BTW, just because the Tories didn't act on this several years ago, when it was first brought up. To the Tories, disabled Veterans are second class citizens, and disabled reservists are even lower. Their ideology is that, unless you are out there as part of the work force, then you are a plight on society, and should be treated as such. This would explain their active targeting against specific groups of Canadians, such as Seniors (increase to OAS age), the unemployed (tougher EI rules), disabled Veterans (oh so many), and yes, even those who are incarcerated, by denying them pensions and CPP/OAS benefits.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060

Back to top Go down

Post by sailor964 Mon 23 Mar 2015, 00:11

I guess no one has heard anything on this yet?
sailor964
sailor964
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 124

Back to top Go down

Post by meteck Wed 04 Mar 2015, 10:40

I remember having to face the humiliation of having my power regulated to 25 watts because I couldn't pay my hydro bill one winter. that's what I remember. I told my case manager at va 3 years before the word clawback was invented that I thought we should get what the manuge trial was giving back to vets.. same thing I said..she thought I was loony tunes...how stupid do I look now I wonder lol..shes good people by the way but wrong about this. I have 27 days left on elb. ive had since oct 2007 to fix myself. I did..they spent100s of thousands re training me to be a social service worker, I completed a 2 year college degree.. not a fake college either lol. for all that guess what.............im not qualified to actually work for the va to help other vets,,,which was the goal...nope......when I pursued further education dollars I was denied.. so end result......bleak........they took 60 thousand roughly from me over the years.. money my kids never saw.. money that never allowed me to ever purchase a new car in my adult life. money that was never theirs.. it was MINE. so yah im stoked to get it back. its ours

meteck
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2012-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 03 Mar 2015, 14:08

I truly hope you are successful with this, but as it is even as an ELB recipient, that is all I can offer since I was only approved for ELB a few days after the cessation of the clawback. The most I might get is a months worth, but only if ELB is backdated to when the application is put in, and not the approval date. Barely enough to be considered a member of the class.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060

Back to top Go down

Post by meteck Tue 03 Mar 2015, 12:58

what teen said..........................lets get what was rightly ours...until that time a bad taste in the back of my throat will not go away....

meteck
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

ELB Class Action Law Suit  - Page 7 Empty Class Action - ELB, WVA and CFIS‏ Information

Post by Teentitan Tue 03 Mar 2015, 12:39

Update: A meeting will take place on March 12, 2015 with all legal counsels and the case management judge to set a litigation schedule. After this meeting, more concrete details will be provided concerning timelines and a likely timeframe when this matter may go to trial. It is at this stage that more details concerning the claim will be made public.

How you can help: We are searching for veterans to provide us with details, on a confidential basis, on their entitlement to help us establish the class. Attached is a “Survey” which gives the details which we require. We would be grateful if you would share this survey with anyone whom you think would be willing to assist us going forward – particularly if they are receiving the War Veterans Allowance or the CF Income Support Benefit.

Yours truly,

Joshua M. Juneau
Barrister & Solicitor / Avocat-notaire

tel  (613) 236-2657 x22
fax (613) 236-7476

PLEASE GO TO THE "NOTICE BOARD" ON THE MAIN SITE OF VETERANVOICE.INFO TO FIND THE ENGLISH AND FRENCH SURVEY TO BE FILLED OUT AND SENT TO THE LAW OFFICE.

Last edited by teentitan on Tue 03 Mar 2015, 13:02; edited 2 times in total
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by meteck Mon 02 Mar 2015, 11:19

lets get the word out that the drapeau law firm IS MOVING ON THIS. I have my survey to fill out and send them and we need others affected by this to do the same....

meteck
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by meteck Fri 27 Feb 2015, 11:55

first of all thank you chiller for the updates on the law suit. today I spoke with the drapeau law firm myself. they are doing the leg work to find AS MANY affected by the clawback as they can. they will send you a survey to fill out with your privacy their top concern. they work for a larger firm who is actually doing the court room stuff.. march 12th they convene to among other things outline the next steps and firm up dates to begin the legal battle..the lawyer I spoke with said we have a good solid case here..FINALLY WE MOVE ON THIS!!!..tell anyone not yet in the know about the drapeau law firm ...get your name on this class action suit and tell YOUR STORY OF BEING RIPPED OFF AT THE EXPENSE OF YOUR SPOUSE AND KIDS!!!. lets get ready to rumble.....

meteck
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chillier76 Thu 05 Feb 2015, 18:32

chillier76
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2013-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by chillier76 Thu 05 Feb 2015, 15:09

This is an email I received from Joshua Juneau at Michel Drapeau Law Office last week.
Jan 30 (6 days ago)

We are writing to provide you with an update into the ELB class action.

In January, 2015 a case management judge was assigned to the file. A meeting will take place on March 12, 2015 with all legal counsel and the case management judge to set a litigation schedule. After this meeting, more concrete details will be provided concerning timelines and likely date that this matter may go to trial.

We trust that you find this satisfactory.

Yours truly,

Joshua M. Juneau
tel (613) 236-2657 x22
fax (613) 236-7476

chillier76
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2013-09-23

Back to top Go down

ELB Class Action Law Suit  - Page 7 Empty ELB Class Action Law Suit

Post by Teentitan Tue 16 Apr 2013, 22:31

I have been asked to give a sitrep on the ELB retro to 2006.  Well in a nutshell there is nothing to pass on.

Very important information to remember in comparing the LTD lawsuit and ELB:

- ELB is a VAC program.  So to change payments of ELB requires a "Memo to Cabinet" (an internal memo from VAC to all cabinet ministers).  The submittal of these memo's are normally not made public.  So if cabinet or VAC does not want this memo made public they will not even acknowledge if the memo exists.

- now some positive news...during the negotiations of the LTD lawsuit as 'payments' were agreed to be re-instated VAC copied the same payment as LTD only it was 30-60 days behind.  That said the final order was handed down by Judge Barnes on April 15, 2013 and retro payments can now start to be done.  

- so looking at the "habits" of VAC ELB retro should hopefully be started around mid-June.

So the best clients on ELB can do right now is wait.  But it doesn't stop you from emailing Minister Blaney asking if the Memo to Cabinet has been submitted.  I didn't say this but he can ignore a few emails but a couple of hundred, a newspaper article, letters to the editor might help.

Class Action - ELB, WVA and CFIS‏ Information

Update: A meeting will take place on March 12, 2015 with all legal counsels and the case management judge to set a litigation schedule. After this meeting, more concrete details will be provided concerning timelines and a likely timeframe when this matter may go to trial. It is at this stage that more details concerning the claim will be made public.

How you can help: We are searching for veterans to provide us with details, on a confidential basis, on their entitlement to help us establish the class. Attached is a “Survey” which gives the details which we require. We would be grateful if you would share this survey with anyone whom you think would be willing to assist us going forward – particularly if they are receiving the War Veterans Allowance or the CF Income Support Benefit.

Yours truly,

Joshua M. Juneau

tel  (613) 236-2657 x22
fax (613) 236-7476

PLEASE GO TO THE "NOTICE BOARD" ON THE MAIN SITE OF VETERANVOICE.INFO TO FIND THE ENGLISH AND FRENCH SURVEY TO BE FILLED OUT AND SENT TO THE LAW OFFICE.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7