Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lessons Learned that will influence your future in all matters Veteran Affairs

+3
By the Bay
rucksack031
dzanzio
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Lessons Learned that will influence your future in all matters Veteran Affairs - Page 2 Empty Re: Lessons Learned that will influence your future in all matters Veteran Affairs

Post by dzanzio Thu 13 Jun 2013, 21:03

robbie, thanks for the time and effort you put into that post
dzanzio
dzanzio
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2012-10-26

Back to top Go down

Lessons Learned that will influence your future in all matters Veteran Affairs - Page 2 Empty Re: Lessons Learned that will influence your future in all matters Veteran Affairs

Post by Guest Thu 13 Jun 2013, 20:37

Robbie royal ....still makes my hair blow back ....thanks for the wisdom

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Jun 2013, 20:14

FNCIA1, where are you ? Are you hiding ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Jun 2013, 20:04

FNC1A1, have we met ? I think I know you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Jun 2013, 20:00

Excellent advice there Robbie. It looks like you pretty well covered all the angles in your post.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Jun 2013, 19:58

I enjoy Vac, I love them and treat them as family. I have never met a more caring bunch of people. I dont know how many times they have dropped a 24 over or just said can I drop by some Swiss chalet,

Back to top Go down

Lessons Learned that will influence your future in all matters Veteran Affairs - Page 2 Empty Lessons Learned that will influence your future in all matters Veteran Affairs

Post by Guest Thu 13 Jun 2013, 19:48

Lesson 1. Once you depart the gates of any CFB you no longer carry the weight and opinions of others unless you enjoy a swift kick in the nads on a daily basis. My opinion and please take it to heart and not directly in the nads, “Leave the I care what other’s will think of me when I cry like a baby and ask , WHAT IS IN IT FOR ME.”
Look at it this way, while you are acting all tough and buff in front of your clan, they wait till your back is turned and jump on the hand out wagon.
Biggest point here troops, YOU are the Veteran, You served your country, and you became ill because of your service. I do not know how many tough son of a bitches I have talked to in the past 2 years and boy it floors me how many say the same damn thing. “Well I feel guilty taking this money, I am better than that.” Too you I say get stuffed and look way beyond the horizon of dumb dumb and walk across the road to where we all should be standing and look around you. Yup just as I though we are equals and we all deserve a better and brighter future for ourselves and family. PS those that judge you have already been judged (VRAB) and believe me they are getting paid for it.
Lesson 2. You and you alone have to Police your health issues, VAC will not walk you through the “Sausage Machine” to gain better entitlements or VIP Programs.
Point. During the initial release periods Case Managers try to assist you with an easier transition into the civilian world of thinking. My advice is to keep your military train of though and focus in a high state of readiness as civilian life is a paperwar of challenges and dead end streets. When you produce paperwork invent a file system that includes a log of activities that include names places and events.
For example:
July 10th 2003 put a claim into VAC for chronic right ankle sprain.
October 08 2003 VAC awarded 2% at 5/5ths for injury
October 08 2005 resubmitted claim for chronic right ankle sprain.
February 11 2006 denied any further entitlement for chronic right ankle sprain.
February 23rd 2006 1100 hrs Dr. Righteous (family Dr.) had x-rays completed on my right ankle and noted a change in his initial diagnoses.
February 24th 2006 informed VAC through writing that my right ankle had gotten worse and asked for a medical review.
March 08th 2006 received the ok to have my right ankle re-assessed and received a file with the applicable paperwork.
October 16th 2006 VAC awarded me with an additional 3% at 5/5ths for chronic right ankle strain now diagnosed as AVULSION FRACTURE Stress Syndrome.
Synopsis for the above TEXT is simple, You have to stay on top of your medical situation at all times and keep re addressing your injuries under the policies that are outlined through VAC. Every 24 months you should be asking yourself is there a change in my medical history worth investigating and documenting. Anything from a change of medications to more thraphy on body parts. Even if you are at 100% VAC you should still inform VAC in writing that there have been changes in your medical history. I say this because as you get old you will in theory fall appart that is a given, so stay on top of it.
Ladies and Gentlemen this is a race, it is a race to a brighter financially sound life after the military. If your goal is not to receive 100% (this is for those that are unable to work) then I am sorry but you are on a one way track to, “Son of a Bitch I should have Listened to that Crazy Buggger Robbie Royal years ago”, “Now look at us Ethel, not a pot to piss in”.
DO NOT let anyone tell you that you do not need to submit a change to your medical history because it will not help you get more money or make a difference on your VAC card with the A’s and B’s. Quote me please, your body your health your right to do so, remember these VAC personal won’t be around when you tell some one, “well I did submit that over the phone when I talked to what’s her name that was therein 2007”. You will get “Who”, “She doesnot work here anymore”. Document your evideance troops cover your ass, we all live in a tech savy world if you cant do it have a family member or a friend help you, and if that does not help then damn well PM me and I’ll help you.
Final Note; Always update your medical information from VAC and If you didn’t get the paper work call them ask for it, beg for it just do it Yearly and every two years for different programs. If they offer VOC-REHAB enlist but you and only you know if you are capable of returning to the work force. You and only you know your limitations and your capabilities, some jughead can not tell you what to do over the phone and if you do not feel comfortable tell them to back off. 99.9% of the time they listen and suck it up to assist you, remember the insurance companies want you to work it means kless of a financial workover for them. YOU call the shots they initiate policy.
Lesson 3. This I have learned and boy it is a hard pill to swallow for some but it makes sence in the long run. CPPD (Canadian Pension Plan Disability Benefit) and DTC (Disability Tax Credit) apply for it immediately.
Why?
1. It makes the transition from long term disability to old age pension easier.
2. I t shows the  CRA that you could not pay into the CPP therefore they may go easy on you when you turn 65 or when you apply.
3. If you do not apply then SISIP could terminate your monthly LTD benefits for non-compliancy reasons regarding LTD policy, is it a bad thing? Actually yes to the CPPD application (because they SISIP did not tell you about these rules until you felt overwhelmed and pissed at not knowing) and no as being a recipient of another taxable source of income will net you more cash flow especially if you have children. Pain in the ass initially but worth it and remember you may not qualify first time around but at least your crossing your T’s and dotting your I’s. This makes SISIP happy.
I will enlist the knowledge of others to write our CPPD stories here and maybe you can take something from our stories. I do believe not all stories will be happy but I do believe them full of information.
Lesson 4. REMEMBER YOU ARE NOT ALONE, NEVER EVER EVER are you alone. PM myself and RECON031 anytime, we obvisouly do not have all the answers but we will try to help if we can. If anyone else wishes to add their names to the list please do so.
This may sound out of touch or rehearsed but I swear it is not, I AM ONE VETERAN HELPING ANOTHER VETERAN.
WHY?
Because I am no better with knowledge and I am no lesser without it, I am your brother.

Last edited by RobbieRoyal on Thu 13 Jun 2013, 19:51; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : error)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum