Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lessons Learned that will influence your future in all matters Veteran Affairs

+3
By the Bay
rucksack031
dzanzio
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lessons Learned that will influence your future in all matters Veteran Affairs Empty Re: Lessons Learned that will influence your future in all matters Veteran Affairs

Post by Guest Tue 18 Mar 2014, 18:23

you got it pinger and for all those that need to be educated on all things veterans stay tuned a new update is in the works.

Back to top Go down

Lessons Learned that will influence your future in all matters Veteran Affairs Empty Lesson learned

Post by pinger Tue 18 Mar 2014, 17:29

Hi Robbie

I was reading some older topics and posts a while ago and came across your “Lessons learned”. I can’t thank you enough for what you wrote RR… it doesn’t get much more pro-active than that. It also validated my experiences with the VAC over the years very much.

But it can be pretty frustrating and taxing dealing with VA, including their plastic “Living Charter” of smoke and mirrors. It seems mistrust is everywhere lately, and quite frankly even being the cynical SOB I am, I can’t read what isn’t transparent but your post and this forum brings it to the forefront.

Speaking of transparency, I want to emphasize a little something here... I’ve read it a few times on the forum and experienced it first hand…

VA DOES NOT ALWAYS TELL YOU OF THE BENEFITS YOU ARE ELIGIBLE FOR.
… so be vigilant.

Thanks again Robbie for that post of yours, pinger.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Lessons Learned that will influence your future in all matters Veteran Affairs Empty Re: Lessons Learned that will influence your future in all matters Veteran Affairs

Post by Dove96 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 11:43

When the thread was switched from SISIP to Veterans Help the order changed from "Newest post last" to "Newest post first"
Dove96
Dove96
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Mon 17 Jun 2013, 11:19

No sometimes the thread will just do it that way.  I've looked at the code in multiple threads at the same time and cannot for the life of me figure out why???

Computers are just like the human brain...tells it to do things just to be different! LOL
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Jun 2013, 10:41

Is it just me or are the messages in this thread out of sync?

Back to top Go down

Post by tiger660 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 17:09

I have been dealing with VAC for about 17 years now.  A few years back, I applied and was approved for pension for both shoulders, 5 % each.  A few months later, a lawyer from VAC phoned me to ask my permission to appeal this decision, I asked why and he told me because the Doctor that did the medical exam in Montréal had recommended 5 % for the right shoulder and 10 % for the left shoulder.  Well nobody had told me that, I was surprised to learn that when the papework was send to Fredericton they basically did what they wanted to do.  So I gave the permission to the lawyer to appeal and I got the 10 % for the left shoulder.  About 7 years ago a CM came to my house, she said, she had to update my file.  So we talked for about an hour and she said she would refer me to the medical clinic at Saint Anne de Bellevue hospital, because she was worried when I told her I was having nightmare and panic attack.  I served 27 years and did 9 missions.  I was sick and did not know it.  Anyway I went to the hospital and the social worker made me apply for PTSD.  I was an (out patient) I think you call it for 4 years with a psy.  While I was going thru all that, I had to go to the VAC District in Montréal for an appeal for my back.  The lawyer was very nice, I told her what I was going thru with the PTSD and she told me, when you get your answer you let me know and we will appeal it, I said what, and she said whatever the % is, it does not matter we will appeal it.  She did and I got another 10 %.  What I am trying to say here is, do not stop, fight for your rights and don't take no for an answer if you think you are right.  Like some of the brothers said on this post, nobody at VAC will tell you everything you are entitled for, you have to ask for it.  Just last week, one of my friend told me he had to go see the Doctor to get a new prescription, I said didn't you get one in Janauary and he said yes, but his CM at VAC said it was good for 6 months.  I told him bullshit and I showed him the letter that I got from the Bleu Cross stating that a prescription from a Doctor is good for 12 months.

tiger660
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2012-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Jun 2013, 15:01

Thanks! I figured by sharing my experiences others will find they aren't alone in this battle and we are here to help our fellow brothers and sisters.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Jun 2013, 10:16

Boltaction my brother you got me in a bad way today but at least we can look back and inform others that the fight to win is a fight generated by the gutless senators who embody policy in the intrest of self. But our stories are about perseverance and pain above and beyond our call to country. Policies were never made to stand up to perserverance so thanks for the read my good friend. I am glad you fought the fight and I am even more proud that you shardd your horific  adventure with all of us. Pro Patria

Back to top Go down

Lessons Learned that will influence your future in all matters Veteran Affairs Empty Posting to forums

Post by Dove96 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 10:04

Is there any way to transfer this topic to Veteran Help forum? This type of advice and discussion would be so helpful to members who wouldn't know to look under "SISIP".Question

Last edited by Dove96 on Sun 16 Jun 2013, 10:38; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)
Dove96
Dove96
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Jun 2013, 07:46

Bolt action .....An excellent read ....i hope you will forward this to liberal and ndp defense critics ....the next government needs to know ...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Jun 2013, 06:12

Very well said RR! I found myself in a few of your examples and man, did you ever hit the proverbial nail on the head.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em, this is  along assed story...

I fought 10 years to get my VAC pension and truth be told, there were times I honestly thought they thought I was milking it. My lowest of lows came one day about 12 years ago. I walked into the kitchen and I must've had a strange look on my face because my wife asked me what was wrong. I couldn't hold it in any longer and broke down like a little baby.

Here I had 2 little boys who needed me and I couldn't even provide financially for them! Everything just came to me like an avalanche of so many bureaucrats and other government departments shutting the door in my face. Hell, since my wife was on Maternity Leave from the CF at that time, and I had been 3B'd out 2 years prior THINKING I'd have my VAC pension by then, but of course I kept being denied so here I was broke, wife was barely bringing any income in due to being on Mat Leave so I applied for WELFARE just to make the bare ends meet and was DENIED! I didn't get it. Not to single out Somalians here, but I am and will because they are who make up part of this story, BUT, here we were broke like a joke and we'd see these Somalians in the flea and roach infested apartments we were renting in Ottawa because it was all we could afford, yet they'd pull up in new cars, they'd have new furniture delivered to them and come welfare day, we wouldn't go near the mail boxes in the lobby because it would be packed tight with Somalians picking up their 2 to 3 cheques EACH because they found a way to use their 2-3 birth names to receive 2-3 welfare cheques! Man, I can go on and on about that scenario but just typing this makes me chain smoke!

So after years of getting dirt kicked in my face I was ready to snap! I had a meeting with a high level VAC official who listened to my story. I told him how I waited over a year to get a Pre Medical Examination done (or whatever their called from VAC's doctor) and come the day the doctor tells me my file was misplaced and he hadn't had time to look it over and they would have to reschedule. I lost it on him and let him know I was not amused at all because I didn't even have a pot to piss in and now it looked like I'd have to wait another year before seeing a VAC doctor!?!?! This part of a long story was the VAC official agreed with me that I had waited way too long already and he would make sure I got in quickly. Within 2 weeks I had a different doctor review my case and signed off that my injuries were indeed attributable to military service and he himself couldn't believe why i was being denied when all the CF98's and related paperwork were in my files.

Fast Forward a few months and they gave me a 15% pension. I was happy because it was retro from date of application but like I told them, I was 3B'd out of the CF and we had always been told if 3B'd out we'd be taken care of so therefore 15% was SFA and I wanted was I was entitled to! Finally after 10 years of fighting them I was awarded 100%.

Even at that, as RR posted, they do not tell you what other benefits you are entitled to! You have to find them yourself! In a way I was lucky I was a Medic because I knew what to look for. Maybe the system has changed for the better now but back then, once you left the CFB's you were to fend for yourselves!

Life is better nowadays. Kids are all grown up with one of my "babies" graduating high school this month! Not near as much piss and vinegar in the tank as I used to have, nowhere near the amount of hair I used to have and now have an impressive baseball hat collection as a result. 

Never stop fighting and as RR posted, keep that soldier mentality alive and fine tuned to fight whatever battles you may face once you are out. The best people to talk to are fellow veterans who have been through the ringer of disappointment and they'll tell you the same thing, fight, fight, fight!

Salute!

EDIT: Forgot to add that to this day, I have never received anything from SISIP. I applied for SISIP when I was first released but was told I didn't qualify so left it at that. THAT was a bad move on my part and should've appealed that decision! I have since re-applied when I came upon these forums and was told too bad so sad, I only had a year to appeal their initial decision and seeing how I never replied to their follow up letter which they sent to the wrong address in the wrong province I might add, how could I follow up when they sent stuff to the wrong address and province? How was I supposed to know they were trying to reach me? Yet they had my current phone number? That makes no sense at all. Anyhow, I fwd'd that info to MC to review as I may have from what I'm being told a good case to receive LTD benefits after all.

I appied for and received CPP-D before receiving a favourable VAC decision. I also received the Disability Tax Credit one time and was denied this taxation year for whatever reason??? I'm currently looking into that one as it makes no sense.

Update VAC to any and all health changes you have because it does make a difference!

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Sat 15 Jun 2013, 05:06

Robbie Royal wrote:Because I am no better with knowledge and I am no lesser without it, I am your brother.

Very nicely said
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Jun 2013, 08:33

Good morning Steve ,

After the marathon LL convo about this , you put it all into perspactive , well covered , great job Steve , with all the experience amongst us here on the CSAT , No ONE Veteran should be without an Earned Benefit that he / she is Entitled to .

For Country
Retired Army Master Sniper
Dave Fitzpatrick
family of        .7       waiting to be processed

Back to top Go down

Post by rucksack031 Thu 13 Jun 2013, 21:54

Need not to add all points coverd and so true, add this old bugger to the list, thanks brother RR. rucksack031 over but nerver out and privliged to be in honorable company.
rucksack031
rucksack031
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2012-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Jun 2013, 21:22

Hope it helps a tad troops and Anzio you are alway welcome my brother, Airborne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next