Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MP Jim Karygiannis Resigns as the Liberal Critic for Veterans Affairs

4 posters

Go down

MP Jim Karygiannis Resigns as the Liberal Critic for Veterans Affairs Empty Re: MP Jim Karygiannis Resigns as the Liberal Critic for Veterans Affairs

Post by Rifleman Sat 05 Apr 2014, 14:35

You would be RICH

Rifleman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

MP Jim Karygiannis Resigns as the Liberal Critic for Veterans Affairs Empty Re: MP Jim Karygiannis Resigns as the Liberal Critic for Veterans Affairs

Post by Teentitan Sat 05 Apr 2014, 13:28

FYI Dr. Aiken is a veteran. She served 14 years. The CIMVHR conferences are garnering world wide attention.

Yes Dallaire testified the other day Apr 3 I believe. Check it out here. Go to the calendar on the right and click on the date...click on the audio...choose English or French.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/CommitteeBusiness/CommitteeHome.aspx?Cmte=ACVA&Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=41&Ses=2

The point I'm trying to make about Jim is he did not handle himself very well. Either in front of the camera or behind the scenes and I'd like to leave it at that.

I have seen worse and better VAC critics over the years.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Sat 05 Apr 2014, 13:16

Hi teen,  Yes I heard the audio, the tie clip, the fussin and fartin around... Hmm. And frankly, methinks under the facade of integrity it can border a gong show.
But as you know, that can be one approach and my hats sincerely off to you for yours. Also, was not Dallaire in some other recent meeting around 2-3 days ago?

btw, Alice Aiken...? She had a very professional report out a few years ago called Claxton13, Supporting Canadian Veterans with Disabilities: A Comparison of Financial Benefits. It doesn't get more in depth than that.

The pdf can be found here folks... http://www.queensu.ca/cidp/publications/claxtonpapers/Claxton13.pdf  
Tx teen. pinger (one with many nickels).
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sat 05 Apr 2014, 12:47

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that line...
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 05 Apr 2014, 12:29

Last edited by BD on Sat 05 Apr 2014, 17:48; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sat 05 Apr 2014, 11:42

In the audio version you hear Jim complaining another member does not have a tie on. Arguing with the chair about how much time he has left. The Dallaire piece is interesting and I posted to Latest News the other day. Thanks for the compliment though.

IMO Jim was doing things that were not in line with the Liberal party policy and his approach to being the VAC critic showed he would most likely never be cabinet material, if the Libs ever win again. But his antics and theatrics will be acceptable as a councilor in Toronto City Hall.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Fri 04 Apr 2014, 19:30

Touche teen, I only read 4 or 5 standing committee hearings including March 25th  Smile . I couldn’t judge Jim Karygiannis amidst all the other members so I put him in the same boat. I found all the committee members to be blatantly procrastinating. Is that their damn prerequisite, ongoing manana? Probably, as that coincides with the consensus for years. No action, just more talk.
But here’s some lively ballast…
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/04/04/senator-romeo-dallaire-pissed-off-at-conservative-mps-complaining-veterans-cost-too-much/
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Thu 03 Apr 2014, 14:31

Here's the question on why he quit federal politics for municipal politics...did his performance as VAC critic show the Liberal party he was cabinet material?

Just listen to the standing committee hearings and judge for yourself on his conduct.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Wed 02 Apr 2014, 21:44

Caught that too Navrat,
'
He probably helped some folks in his of capacity of time (vets?) I do not know, but his public tears are pathetic.

Another plastic smile coming soon to toronto theater. Sorry but no mercy... pinger.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BinRat Tue 01 Apr 2014, 19:49

Actually just read this today...
http://www.lfpress.com/2014/04/01/liberal-mp-jim-karygiannis-quits-to-run-for-toronto-city-council

OTTAWA — One of the longest-serving and most combative MPs in the House of Commons is packing it in to try his hand at municipal politics.

A sobbing Jim Karygiannis, who had been the MP for the Toronto riding of Scarborough-Agincourt since 1988, told the House of Commons Tuesday afternoon that he would resign immediately to take a crack at getting a seat on Toronto city council.

In his long career, Karygiannis never made it into cabinet but was a fierce champion for Canada's Greek community — he was born in Athens — and other immigrant communities in Toronto's north end.

BinRat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Mar 2014, 17:59

Probably correct

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Mar 2014, 17:01

Too busy and not worth the effort for his riding . His riding is 80 percent immigrant with no attachment to the Canadian Forces.

Back to top Go down

MP Jim Karygiannis Resigns as the Liberal Critic for Veterans Affairs Empty MP Jim Karygiannis Resigns as the Liberal Critic for Veterans Affairs

Post by Ex Member Mon 24 Mar 2014, 16:01

Critic of Veteran Affairs

Dear Friends:

As you may have heard, I have resigned as the Liberal Critic for Veterans Affairs.  This was done for personal reasons. It has been an honour and privilege to serve you and advocate on your behalf.

I want to take this opportunity to thank you for the support and advice you have given me during my time as the Veterans Affairs Critic.

Mr. Frank Valeriote has been named the new Liberal Critic for Veterans Affairs.  His office can be reached at Frank.valeriote @ parl.gc.ca or 613-996-4758.

Once again, thank you for your support.

Sincerely,

Regards,
Hon. Jim Karygiannis M.P
Scarborough-Agincourt
Constituency Office

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down