Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this site being watched (I don't trust them)

+3
bigrex
Teentitan
rigger/fitter
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is this site being watched (I don't trust them) Empty Re: Is this site being watched (I don't trust them)

Post by prawnstar Sun 08 Jun 2014, 23:36

The internet is certainly no place to discuss anything you don't want others to know about. No matter how secure we think it is.

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Is this site being watched (I don't trust them) Empty Re: Is this site being watched (I don't trust them)

Post by Teentitan Thu 05 Jun 2014, 11:24

I really can't comment on SISIP but I do know if VAC tries to reduce your PA they need years of proof that your condition has gotten better.

I have been told this from CM's to ADM's in VAC. They all say the same thing as well...if you garden, blow snow, cut grass they are OK with it because as RR said it is a sense of worth and pride. But they always say do not push yourself too hard and always work with your spouse or a neighbour.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jun 2014, 09:27

That is a legitimate question RR. For me gardening was a passion and gave me a sense of peace and accomplishment but I cant do that anymore so what I decided to do is garden in pots and lots of them on my decks. That way I can sit on my chair and deadhead away while being able to enjoy the potted flowers and even veggies. No ladders required. Just a thought.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jun 2014, 06:40

Not trying to be a pain in the arse here but I was told by VAC that if I wanted I could actually do some simple yard work as that in itself would allow me a sense of worth and well you know the rest pretty simple I think, however if a SISIP Agent or a CRA Agent saw me climbing a ladder and putting up Christmas lights would I be breeching the LTD or CPPD health criteria to collect these benefits who knows

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Wed 04 Jun 2014, 11:07

As far as "being watched" goes, me thinks common sense rules. Don't post too too personal info, but pm'ing comes to mind. Trust your judgement accordly folks and if in doubt... think twice. It's why I am facebook-less. pinger.

Rocking the Hill...
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 04 Jun 2014, 09:42

The thing with simple depression, is that there are thousands of people working full time jobs, without losing significant time because of it. So, in order to be completely off work for depression, without any other coexisting conditions, such as Anxiety disorder, the symptoms would have to be severe and chronic. So if this woman posted pics of her being happy and having a good time every couple of days, it would be hard for her to really fight it.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Jun 2014, 09:02

Well Manulife did cut off a lady in Quebec claiming ltd for depression because she posted pictures of her smiling and laughing on Facebook . She appealed thru the courts and the courts sided with Manulife

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Jun 2014, 08:58

I agree with bigrex and if im not mistaken physical activity is included in what people dealing with stress should do as it is very beneficial and is considered therapy.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Dove96 Wed 04 Jun 2014, 08:55

Bigrex, Definitely and well said.
Where I volunteer they know I have "challenging" days and call in at times or need to go home early. I am very lucky. But I still do it and feel good about making a difference. My other volunteer work is stickier because it is manufacturing something, "they" could consider I should be selling instead of giving to charity but when you can only make on average 2 glass beads per week you wouldn't make much money. LOL. And yes it is on my facebook.

Because of the scariness of the last post I read (losing LTD because of smiling) I am adding an edit to this.
Due to my disabilities the manufacturing costs to make a bead (extra time needed running the kiln/torch to make them) exceeds the sale price of a bead. Gifting them to charity is one of my "volunteer" opportunities.

Last edited by Dove96 on Thu 05 Jun 2014, 10:09; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : colour change and brevity)
Dove96
Dove96
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 04 Jun 2014, 07:42

RCN, I believe facebook trolling would be more about those who falsely report physical injuries. Like say someone is getting continued benefits for a severe debilitating back injury, but then they post pics of themselves playing several rounds of golf. People with PTSD or other psychological conditions, can have days where their symptoms are manageable, and others when they are not. So if you are choosing to volunteer on the days when you feel good, then VAC should be commending you on that, rather than using it against you.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Jun 2014, 06:47

here here

Back to top Go down

Post by RCN-Retired Tue 03 Jun 2014, 23:32

For those that have major depression and or PTSD there may be volunteering that to some would seem high profile but in reality it is far below the responsibilities that one had while serving. It is volunteering that helps me feel like I am still contributing to society, I can honestly say many times it has been the difference between living and dieing. If these callous bastards start looking at some people's Facebook, LinkedIn etc. and take from there that they are being dubbed that will be at a huge detriment to the individual. For me very few people know that I have a mental injury, nor do I want them to know, it is embarrassing for me at least to go from where I was in the CAF to some emotional, angry, depressed, person I am today. I have taught myself how to act to make it seem that I am all good but this does not come without a price. Just one more thing that one probably should be worrying about.
RCN-Retired
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2012-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Jun 2014, 06:56

I agree with all that is said here today rigger but I will tell you something very obvious and sadly true, if you have a Facebook account and you post pics of yourself doing anything that is in direct contravention of your LTD resrtictions with any organization, (SISIP,CPPD and VAC) then they just copy and paste and your caught. If you don't use your real name (oops) and do not boast about screwing over these organizations and doing a thousand cartwheels you are safe here. This site is designed to assist our community and that is what we do. We expand on the political and printed rhetoric giving hope and plausible answers to veterans. The truths told here are not illegal truths they for the most part are truths that make us disturbed about the treatment of our veterans. Please jump (sorry saw rigger and being a jumper well you know) walk in and let it rip.
SG Robinson Airborne Soldier and Disabled Veteran with a CD

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Jun 2014, 20:11

rigger, I understand your concern, you must of watched the same news clip that I did, where it was proven that the government was seeking personal info without the use of a warrant.

That being said, this is and open forum, and anybody can have access to it at anytime, but like teen has stated, it is not a good Idea to put your full name in any of your post, and it would be pretty low of anyone to attack a Veteran for asking another Veteran a question.
Sometimes people including myself have voiced anger towards and organization for not fully supporting the Veteran, that is freedom of speech, that is more of a Veteran telling their ordeal, to either seek support from other members, or to relay that ordeal info to help other members, I can say for me, I have read many post here, and it helped me out more than any other form of help.
Just turn on the news, daily people are speaking their mind.
I think you have more of a chance of being stalked with facebook, than CSAT, the other thing is that speaking our mind here shows the watchers that we stand side by side with each other, we help each other out by sharing our info, we are united as a team, this team is dedicated to help others, even if sometimes we share our frustrations out loud, then so be it.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 02 Jun 2014, 17:53

I will attest that Teen will guard your identity, and your right to anonymity, to the best of his ability.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next