Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advocate Keith Neville ordered to stop work with veterans' appeals

+3
bigrex
birdgunner
Teentitan
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Advocate Keith Neville ordered to stop work with veterans' appeals - Page 2 Empty Re: Advocate Keith Neville ordered to stop work with veterans' appeals

Post by Guest Thu 15 Jan 2015, 14:59

Well I did also see the initial news clip, and can confirm I did see more than one happy camper of Mr. Neville work.

I also read where Mr. Neville was good at filling out forms - and he also was familiar with the system.

So even if they say he only won one case, that's one case that helped one Veteran - The way I see it - we need all the help we can get, and if Mr. Neville is willing to offer it - we should be embracing it - which we are, perhaps that is why the MVA has given his instructions to allow him to continue.

Back to top Go down

Advocate Keith Neville ordered to stop work with veterans' appeals - Page 2 Empty Re: Advocate Keith Neville ordered to stop work with veterans' appeals

Post by Guest Thu 15 Jan 2015, 13:58

im hoping this might be the catalyst for the dismantling of this board but they have survived worse so im not holding my breath just hopeing that's all.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Jan 2015, 13:53

wow they should have watched the news I watched the last two nights where there was I think 3 individuals telling the reporters how much this guy helped them that way they could have said he was only successful in 3 cases then maybe that would have been half way believable.

one poor old lady said they would have lost their home if it wasn't for his help.

seems he has been corresponding with them for a while over this so maybe that took some time .

as for how he does going forward who knows ???

but I would imagine he has a big red bulls eye on his forehead right now .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Thu 15 Jan 2015, 11:43

Well as the saying goes here's the other side of the story

http://www.capebretonpost.com/News/Local/2015-01-14/article-4007857/Cape-Breton-may-be-allowed-to-advocate-for-veterans/1

So VRAB is stating he has only done 10 cases with one successful outcome. He was incomplete in doing the legal paperwork and it was delaying the process.

I do have one question if he received the 2 letters from VRAB in the summer why did he wait 6 months to bring it to Stoffers attention?

Glad he has been re-instated but I am more interested in how he goes forward in helping vets.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by froggie2u36 Thu 15 Jan 2015, 07:23

Does anyone have Keith Nevilles contact info? I would like to ask him a question he may be able to answer.Thx

froggie2u36
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Jan 2015, 06:52

id love to see an investigation into how many of these letters were sent out last year and to who . comparing the success rate of the individuals that received the letters to the average success rate.

I bet if a civi seen the results of that investigation they would be shocked .

we wouldn't !!!!!!

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Jan 2015, 06:46

well bigrex less than 24 hours after the story first aired VRAB changed their minds .

at 48 for 48 im not sure he they could prove he broke any of the rules , if his goal was to get the best possible outcome for his clients, except the respect one of course.

VRAB respect is something that is earned and so far you have earned nothing but distain !!!!!

of course if the goal of VRAB's proses is to deny all claims then yup he would defiantly be a hindrance.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 14 Jan 2015, 21:57

I think that they would have to show how this individual was being a hindrance to the process, since that is the only reason given for excluding a non-lawyer from representing a Veteran. If they cannot do that, then they have no legal leg to stand on. Maybe he should request a judicial review of this decision, if VRAB isn't forced to reverse the decision by their bosses.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Jan 2015, 17:24

WOW after months of this , then it hits the news , NOW less than 24 hours after the news article VRAB has changed their minds . funny old world aint it.

im glad he gets to represent vets again as im sure so are his future clients .

as for those crooks at VRAB

go f$^% Y&^% S#$&!$

always question authority

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Jan 2015, 17:20

Just so we are all on the same page you know as well as I do the game that is played in the chamber of these VRAB offices. It is a game that intends to make you the disabled veteran look like a moron period. It is a gome of “on page 7 paragraph 3 the second line, it states that yadda yadda yadda”. Some Advocate calls you and makes small talk about 2 to 3 days prior to your appointment and then says see ya at 945 so we can have a few minutes to go over your file. So in 45 miutes call included some ass-clown gets to represent you. I have went in to these knowing exactly what to expect and what phrasing I should be using, then boom my representative goes east instead of west and then you’re the ass-clown, how is that a fair assessment. You go from knowing you are going to receive a favorable decision to wondering what the hell just happened. Yes it really sucks when you know the books better than your advocate, but you are not going to win over the panel, never possible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Jan 2015, 14:40

yup pretty fracked up rules .

way to subjective in ;

a.treating the Members and staff of the Board, as well as the other participants in the hearing process, with courtesy and respect;

I suppose going 48 for 48 makes them look real bad that can be construed as being disrespectful .

im just surprised they didn't bar him after he went 3 for 3 .

I mean at the rate VRAB denies appeals in the improper manner in witch they do 3 for 3 would be incredible . but 48 for 48 .

THIS GUY ROCKS!!!!!!!!

WE ALL KNOW WHY THEY BANNED THIS GUY!!!!!!

VRAB you are what you are and we all know what that is!!!!!

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Jan 2015, 14:26

sorry all I wasn't aware I had to post the link to this as well so here it is.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/advocate-keith-neville-ordered-to-stop-work-with-veterans-appeals-1.2899605

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by birdgunner Wed 14 Jan 2015, 14:01

Here we go again, muzzle, muzzle, muzzle.

This is an absolute crock of shit and a prime example of what Veterans have to endure when a bad light is shone on those who have the power.

"Mr. Neville, see that corner over there?".

Thank you to Mr. Neville for offering your time and expertise to fight for those that were being wronged.
birdgunner
birdgunner
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-01-10

http://jets.nhl.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Wed 14 Jan 2015, 11:15

This tid-bit of info was sent to me about the VRAB rules that allow this to happen

http://www.vrab-tacra.gc.ca/Practice-pratique-eng.cfm

Hope to have more info later.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Advocate Keith Neville ordered to stop work with veterans' appeals - Page 2 Empty Advocate Keith Neville ordered to stop work with veterans' appeals

Post by Ex Member Wed 14 Jan 2015, 11:10

Keith Neville has worked 48 cases and won appeals in all of them

A veterans' advocate in Whitney Pier said he's been told by the federal government he can no longer help former military members navigate the bureaucracy of the Veterans Review and Appeal Board.

Keith Neville has successfully advocated for 48 veterans having their cases heard by the Veterans Review and Appeal Board, which provides veterans and other applicants with an independent avenue of appeal for disability decisions made by Veterans Affairs Canada.

In July, the board sent Neville a letter saying he was no longer allowed to represent any veterans in any future cases against the board.

"Forty-eight cases were done and 48 cases were overturned," Neville said Tuesday. "So I've been making them look bad."

The letter from the board stated the requirements for representing a client have changed.

Non-lawyer representatives who do not comply with the expected standards will no longer be able to act on behalf of clients in proceedings before the board, it said.

Neville is not a lawyer.

Peter Stoffer, the veterans affairs critic for the New Democratic Party, was in Cape Breton on Tuesday to support Neville and said the process was nothing more than a manhunt. Stoffer said Neville is just a man who knows the system and how to fill out the paperwork.

"I am absolutely disgusted and I feel so sorry not for only Mr. Neville and his reputation, but the veterans and the family members he is supporting," Stoffer said.

'He doesn't do it for glory or for medals'

Peter Stoffer
Peter Stoffer says veterans have the right to representation on their terms. (CBC)

"Let's not forget Mr. Neville doesn't do this for money, he doesn't do it for glory or for medals. He does it because he likes veterans and he wants to help them."

Stoffer said when several Veterans Affairs offices were closed last year, veterans were told they could get assistance at their local legion from the service officer. That officer is overwhelmed with cases, Stoffer said, and can't take on any more.

Frank Hawryluk, a veteran, said the other alternative Veterans Affairs gave him was to hire a lawyer.

"The last letter I got from the board, either get myself a lawyer because they do not want to have nothing to do him whatsoever," he said.

Stoffer said veterans have the right to representation on their terms.

"I find this quite unconscionable because once a veteran, or family member of a veteran, signs an authorization form, they can have anybody in the country that they ask to represent them and argue their case when it comes to the Veterans Review and Appeal Board," he said.

Stoffer is planning to send a letter to new Veterans Affairs Minister Erin O’Toole. Neville said he will continue his work fighting for veterans.

un fracking believable

propat

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2