Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Background Info on PIA Eligibility

+2
bigrex
Teentitan
6 posters

Go down

Background Info on PIA Eligibility Empty Re: Background Info on PIA Eligibility

Post by Teentitan Wed 18 Mar 2015, 12:23

I took the weekend off and juiced the batteries. Problem is so much info is thrown out there in these teleconferences I just go for the highlights and wait for the memo from the teleconference to post on CSAT. Like the Q&A on the Reserve changes. It's on the Latest News and here on CSAT.

Worse thing over the last 3 days is my modem decided to act like an idgit!!! Exchanged it and now trying to get my wifes range extender to work and connecting up the devices in the house, laptop, notebook, kobo, computer! But these are the things that are connecting the veteran community to push for improvements.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by loggie Wed 18 Mar 2015, 09:17

Great work in all areas Teen, thank you, you ARE appreciated

loggie
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Mar 2015, 08:15

well teen I can only imagine . this must be a little nuts right now . this may be the time where I might suggest you back off and take a breather . today all I got for ya is bash the frack on if ya can lol. you know why otherwise ya wouldn't be doing what your doing .

thanks a bunch teen .

all my best to you and yours.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmo12 Wed 18 Mar 2015, 08:13

Thanks Teen no fault

Have a great day

C

cosmo12
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2013-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Wed 18 Mar 2015, 00:12

cosmo12 my mistake I should have used the word "decision" thanks for pointing that out I will edit it.

So your PIA will not stop. But there might be a change in your PIA level depending on the new criteria for PIA.

Propat this has been the craziest 10 days of VAC announcements since 2006 when they brought in the NVC! I can't believe that for the first time the government is living up to treating the NVC like a living charter.

Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmo12 Tue 17 Mar 2015, 21:32

teen,

Your second para you said PIA will be paid on the new definition. If someone already has PIA does it change something ? May be the grade level ?

Thanks Teen

cosmo12
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2013-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 Mar 2015, 20:40

actually teen that is a great idea as you can imagine the ones who will see all the implications of all these changes the fastest are the ones that will actually be impacted by them .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Tue 17 Mar 2015, 19:33

INFO FROM THE DEBRIEF:

The PIA "wording" is going to be changed/ammended and the OVO will be working together with VAC to 'loosen' the criteria/eligibility.

That said above the PIA decisions will be based on the new ammended definition/criteria.

The timetable to change the 'wording' in the NVC about PIA could not be given but it was confirmed it will be done by mid to end of summer.

There will be a memo, like the one about the Reserves, sent out for posting about the PIA debrief.  Once I receive it I will post it.

I know this is a hurry up and wait situation, which frustrated many on the teleconference, but the Minister wants to get the announcements out and the details done with input from the teleconferences.

It isn't all that bad of an idea as before they write something up at least they are getting input, they wouldn't have thought about, from the vet community.

Last edited by teentitan on Wed 18 Mar 2015, 12:23; edited 1 time in total
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Tue 17 Mar 2015, 15:40

Tx for posting the thread teen. I have a little less false hope today and that's coming from a rightfully so, very cynical skeptic regarding vac.
You can call me the "Johnny" and then some in the above example.

It'll be interesting to see how the 3 levels of the supp change will change in time.
The OVO had a very good analysis a year or so back I'm sure was posted and read. It's lengthy with percents and pie charts here... http://www.ombudsman-veterans.gc.ca/eng/reports/reports-reviews/supporting-impaired-veterans

btw, re: pia. My first app was denied a year back or so. But, it was my good cm who said "You GOTTA apply for this" My blind-side signed it in 2 minutes... My denial letter said it was lacking an O.T. and nurses report. How is that for a cm's advise? My cm had good intentions but, do your homework and don't be too quick. pinger.

pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by 6608 Tue 17 Mar 2015, 13:18

Yes Rex, they seem to be saying that also with 48% of TPI veterans not getting this benefit it looks like they are still going to be very surgical with the regulations.

Cheer's

Last edited by 6608 on Tue 17 Mar 2015, 22:41; edited 1 time in total
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 337
Registration date : 2012-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 17 Mar 2015, 12:45

TBH, nothing in this backgrounder gives me any hope that they will make the higher levels of PIA more accessible. I guess we will have to see what the announcement holds.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Background Info on PIA Eligibility Empty Background Info on PIA Eligibility

Post by Teentitan Tue 17 Mar 2015, 11:50

Monthly financial benefits will be expanded

Veterans who have been severely and permanently injured in their service to Canada and have lost employment and career advancement opportunities need a stable source of monthly financial support.

The Permanent Impairment Allowance (PIA) was introduced in 2006 and expanded upon in 2011 to include a supplement, providing up to approximately $2,800 a month in taxable income. This financial benefit is paid to Veterans for the rest of their lives, including after age 65.

Currently, one way to be eligible for PIA is that a Veteran requires the physical assistance of another person to perform most activities of daily living (mobility, feeding, bathing, etc.). This new change will broaden the criteria so that more Veterans are eligible for this financial support each month. Once implemented, more Veterans who have a severe and permanent limitation in mobility or self-care, related to their military service, will receive this benefit. It is expected that approximately 300 additional Veterans who have made a tremendous sacrifice in service to Canada would receive this benefit by 2019-2020.

Veterans Affairs Canada will work with the Office of the Veterans Ombudsman to clarify how loss of earnings is considered within the three different grades of the PIA, with the goal of making the grades easier to understand and more predictable.

Examples of Veterans who could benefit from these changes

John is eligible for VAC’s Rehabilitation Services and Vocational Assistance Program due to a severe service-related back condition, and he has received a disability award. He has severe and constant pain. He is able to perform most of his daily self-care activities himself but very slowly and with the aid of medications. But John has severe and permanent limitations in mobility. He takes a long time to go from sitting to standing and is unable to walk any distance without stopping due to pain. Currently, because John is able to perform most of his daily self-care activities himself (such as dressing and bathing, albeit very slowly and with great difficulty), he does not meet the PIA criteria. However, with this change, John will now be eligible for this benefit.

Michel is eligible for VAC’s Rehabilitation Services due a number of service-related health problems, including lumbar disc disease and a severe service-related bowel condition. He has received disability awards for both of these conditions. Michel’s bowel condition constitutes a severe limitation in the basic self-care activity of toileting. Because of his lumbar disc disease, he experiences severe limitations in his ability to perform his foot care. He is independent in mobility and with the other basic self-care activities such as dressing, bathing, grooming, and feeding. Currently, Michel does not qualify for PIA because he is able to perform most of his daily self-care activities himself. However, with this change, he will now be eligible for this benefit.

Other financial supports available

Canadian Armed Forces Veterans who are injured in service, and are eligible for VAC’s Rehabilitation Program, are also eligible for the Earnings Loss Benefit which guarantees at least 75% of a Veterans’ military salary is paid during their rehabilitation. For Veterans who are not suitably and gainfully employable, the Earnings Loss Benefit will be paid each month until they turns 65. After age 65, Veterans with moderate to severe disabilities will soon benefit from the recently announced Retirement Income Security Benefit. This new benefit will guarantee a Veteran receives a level of income of at least 70% of their pre-65 benefits received from VAC.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down