Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Statement from the Minister with regards to the Sacred Obligation

+7
RCN-Retired
bigrex
pinger
Kramer
oldsailor
Recon031
Teentitan
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Statement from the Minister with regards to the Sacred Obligation Empty Re: Statement from the Minister with regards to the Sacred Obligation

Post by Teentitan Wed 13 May 2015, 11:20

I agree Rex there was plenty of gists, hints, explanations, and bombarding that the ELB/LTD needed to be raised.

I thought it was going to happen in the budget but nadda. Very disappointed that it did not happen.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Statement from the Minister with regards to the Sacred Obligation Empty Re: Statement from the Minister with regards to the Sacred Obligation

Post by bigrex Wed 13 May 2015, 10:46

"Oh FYI Rex Recommendation 4 throw that out with the bath water. Even the OVO couldn't get a proper explanation from ACVA on that, yes and Stoffer couldn't even explain it. So practically everyone has abandonded that because of the lack of ability to answer what the frack the recommendation meant."

Teen, I understand that the actual recommendation was ambiguous, and needed better clarity, but the gist was that the current ELB calculations are not enough. So between this and the OVO recommendation of an increase to 90%, the government could have taken some action to increase the ELB, but chose not to.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Tue 12 May 2015, 22:39

Lively discusussion alright... guess the Sacred Obligation went to the way side.

China is not a country. It's a factory.

All the fish in China. That is all you will find in any common grocery store in Canada for frozen fish. Product of China...
Hell, I'll share my newfie steak with you Navrat and propat. It's Canadian.

Not putting you out of context Navrat, we all have bad days and issues but I found what you said extremely offensive at 13:40... "Give me Communism , I'd take that over the constant feeling of always worrying from year to year if my benefits will change or I will lose my pension"

Tell ya what... go to China, come back in a can of Tuna at no-frills. I don't buy that brand.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Tue 12 May 2015, 21:22

Navrat - You got my vote!
I sometimes get so weary of the endless redtape. Like alot of you, it really sucks. Should we really have to fight for every damn disability we have. I have been fighting the system for 15 years now. And like alot of you, our Head Spacing is off, and the constant waiting for the next letter, the next appeal, the next Dr, pscy appt, the next FO letter, is too hard for alot of us. It breaks our hearts to hear of the ones who didn't win, and had no more fight against our own goverment.
We all should be treated as One Veteran, not lumped in little piles as we are now. It's just my rant for tonight. We have seen the NDP policy. Has Mr. Trudeau put out his detailed Vet Policy yet? For now this stays on my bumper..
http://wp.fastsigns.com/basic.aspx?CGUID=7b6528be-44c8-4901-98c7-dbd719e6ed0a
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 May 2015, 20:51

Recruiting ......STOFFER ARMY......
Let's put our interests first for once......
Get rid of the totally unfair sisip ltd rules, vet 1 pre 1995 sisip ltd for life, vet 2 post 1995 sisip ltd ends at age 65 RISB crumbs afterward!
Cross contamination....Sisip ltd and EELB.. Same flipping program save money and merge the two....common sense...
Extend ELB for life ....no reductions on age 65 ...Harper sipping his martini on a PM pension thinking Ahhhhhh! Vets only need 70 percent income after age 65 ....poverty is fine ,.... I love the troops
New tax free pension plan..... 3 levels of monthly awards..
Level 1....injuries accessed at 33 percent and below 3000 a month for life
Level 2.....injuries accessed at 33 to 66 percent 6000 a month for life
Level 3......injuries accessed above 66 percent 9000 a month for life....
No medicals ....No worries.... No VaC workers... Just sign the paper ...full medical and survivor pension for spouse....No red tape
Once awarded can never be revoked....half of veterans would lose stress
Never challenge doctors diagnosis ......
No more VRAb ... No need
This could be the New Pension Act of 2015 introduced by Peter Stoffer with input by NAVRAT!
How many veterans and families would love this one page , easy peezzee Pension Act?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 May 2015, 19:53

actually changing governments CAN and DOES change a governments policies SIGNIFIGANTLY and at tomes completely reversing its position .

there are literally thousands of examples of this in this country alone let alone the rest of the democratic world .

THIS IS WHY WE VOTE !!!!!

do not let ANYONE tell you your vote will not change things or will not matter !!!!

your vote has ALWAYS  mattered and has more than likely changed things in the past and will likely change things in the future .

you use your god given right and VOTE VOTE VOTE . for who ??? generally I don't give a frack JUST VOTE!!!

specifically id love to see vets vote in block on mass . vote for vets not a specific party .

I really believe at this time for at least vets to be voting on vets issues as in think we have proven we deserve our own vote more than any political party .

sure picking a party that will take vets issues  on in a significant way seems easy right now of course the NDP's WORDS kick the crap out of the rest RIGHT NOW there is a lot more to be seen before I decide .

I believe the cons are not done they have not dangled the big carrot yet and if the polls stay this close it will come . nothing from the libs yet but before this election they will have to way in on this issue .

watch and shoot boys .

this is a great thread its I great way to get vets into direct  political action instead of the old back door politics that has ultimately failed us.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Tue 12 May 2015, 19:17

Ditto on the lawsuits trooper...ditto. Oh and ditto on the conversation,opinions going on. Very healthy and informative for all to read.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 6608 Tue 12 May 2015, 19:15

The minister was at committee today and bill C-58 was questioned,folks can watch debate at the following link and then click on webcast icon for today's date http://www.parl.gc.ca/CommitteeBusiness/CommitteeMeetings.aspx?Cmte=ACVA&Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=41&Ses=2

Cheer's
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 337
Registration date : 2012-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 May 2015, 19:06

Politics & Perception.

Peter is a good guy but just keep one thing in mind, Thomas holds a short leash, so much so that he lost a lot of MP's because of it.

The leash I would say is equal to - or shorter then Harper's.

I don't think Harper really did anything of significance towards the Veterans file, and if re elected , more then likely will continue to do the same, no signals to point otherwise.
That said, outside of the Veterans file, I cannot see anyone party that could come even close to what this PM has done for our Country.
That is why he was re elected in the past with a majority government.
It's politics which ever way one sees it, some will vote for him, and some will vote against him.

I don't know if a change in leadership will improve the benefits for Veterans in a way that would reflect Veterans so significantly that would prove that any other party  be superior  in the support for Veterans then what the present government is doing.
I am not happy with the way Harper an his government view their own success on the way they handle our file, that's a given, but change ? change to what ? change to better benefits ? The only thing that will change in my view is the window dressing style.
If a new government is formed, and another law suit is launched, it is not the new MVA that decides rather to fight it - or not, that decision comes from the very top, and we all know where this is heading, court.
So my mindset is simply this, what are the chances that a change in government will be better for disabled Veterans ?
We are now in a position of change when it comes to fighting for benefits, we can all thank the NVC for this.
Everyone wants to improve the NVC , does this make it right ? Improving something that is so messed up, and divides so many groups of Veterans ? I just don't believe so.

Perhaps not today, and perhaps not tomorrow, but my crystal ball is telling me that law suits are a coming, until someone realizes what is really happening and steps up to correct it, this, I think is the way of the future for Veterans.
We are disabled Veterans, and we should not be negotiable, we deserve more than that.

I cannot finish without mentioning the Liberals, why ? Because there not worth mentioning.

B.T.W   I enjoy reading all of the post, it is all in conversation, opinion, and in discussion, and my post is just that, my own opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Tue 12 May 2015, 18:59

Well I wish Mr. Stoffer had of been this motivated about debate and improvements when the NVC was first introduced in 2005.

Maybe, just maybe, there wouldn't have been this many problems to be fixed. Instead he like the rest of the MP's just kept their mouths shut and let it pass right on thru to royal ascension.

If there had of been one single MP with the guts from any frickn' party that had the guts to stand up and challenge the HoC for debate then ALL veterans would of had a chance to read it and be witness to it's flaws.

But alas there was no MP with the courage to stand up and ask for a debate. So why now?
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 May 2015, 18:51

Stoffer is Legit!

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Tue 12 May 2015, 18:16

Thanks BinRat was just about to post it.

Me thinks the election campaigning starter pistol has officially been shot.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BinRat Tue 12 May 2015, 18:05

Hmm Mr Stoffer has released an update which is in reference to the OP (Original Post)

Update from Peter Stoffer, MP

It has come to my attention that the Minister of Veterans Affairs recently posted a response on the Canadian Veterans Advocacy facebook page regarding the NDP’s recent motion to ask the federal government to recognize that a social covenant exists between our government and military veterans. You can find the text of the Minister’s post below and at this link: https://www.facebook.com/CanadianVeteransAdvocacy/posts/785709151525664

In his statement, the Minister suggests that he had to include the proposed changes to veterans benefits introduced in Bill C-58 into their government’s Budget Implementation Bill C-59, due to the “delay of these reforms and posturing by the other parties.”

Never in my 18 years of working on veterans issues, have I found a Minister’s statement so deliberately misleading (i.e. a lie). For that reason, I introduced a point of order in the House of Commons today about the Minister’s incorrect and misleading statement. My point of order moved that the House of Commons immediately pass C-58 (at second reading) so it can be referred to the Standing Committee on Veterans Affairs (ACVA) for further study. Unfortunately, my point of order was defeated. Conservative Members of Parliament voted against it and said no to immediately referring Bill C-58 to committee.

The NDP has not delayed, nor plans to delay, the proposed new benefits for veterans and their families in Bill C-58. As you know, Bill C-58 was introduced by the federal government in April. A whole month later, this Conservative government has not yet called for this bill to be debated in the House of Commons at second reading. It is the federal government’s prerogative to move this bill to second reading debate so it can be referred to committee. As well, a Minister at any time, may move that a government bill be referred to a committee before second reading. It is important for the bill to reach the committee stage where witnesses may be invited to appear before the committee to present their views and provide feedback on the proposed legislation. Once the witnesses have been heard, the committee proceeds to study the bill clause-by-clause and members may propose amendments to the bill. (This can be done quite quickly).

Now that the federal government has included Bill C-58’s measures in the Budget Implementation Bill , veterans and veteran stakeholders will have limited opportunities for feedback. The only opportunity for feedback will be via the Finance Committee – a committee tasked with debating all of the measures in the government’s budget bill. This also means that there will be no opportunities for amendments to improve the proposed benefits.

Sadly, it is Veterans Minister O’Toole who is playing politics with this issue. He knows full well that with a Conservative majority government, the new veterans benefits introduced in Bill C-58, could pass through all levels of the House and the Senate before the end of June.

As I communicated in an earlier e-mail, the measures contained in Bill C-58 will help some veterans, but the federal government can do much, much more. It will take a federal election to solve the many veterans issues and concerns once and for all.

Sincerely,

Peter Stoffer, MP

BinRat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Tue 12 May 2015, 16:43

Has anyone seen the documentary "Death by China"?

Primarily talking about the US and China.......but what the States do or what happens to them.......we will feel the effects. I never realized how much China controls in the industry/manufacturing dept. Yes they have the disgusting smog, but along with what all China makes.........their military has and is growing at an alarming rate. People are short-sighted and want what they want even if it means buying everything that is made in China.

We are not going to have many industries or jobs (say other that some farming and perhaps Tim Hortons). I went shopping a few times in the past few weeks and it has been hard to buy Canadian or US. Birthday Cards, candles, solar lights, matches.....all made in China.

I came home pretty much empty handed, but I did come home with my pride. As a country we need to look after our future and people need to consider what they truly need.........supply and demand will certainly apply here, our government needs to do something........more coming in than going out???? Our children and their children have the most to lose.......sad but it will happen if we don't do something very soon.

Look at the label before you buy.......

I have noticed products made in Canada and the US are also a much better product. Things made in China are cheaper to buy and cheaper made....guess all the kids they employ and not so good at quality control.......shame...shame

Food for thought.

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 671
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 May 2015, 14:41

Can't get rid of free trade because Canada as a country is not controlled anymore from Ottawa. The decisions regarding international trade, military, political decisions
Rest with the US federal reserve and the IMF. They are trying to pressure Canada to join the pacific free trade area and are throwing demands our way left and right. No more Canadian dairy board so China can export alll their chemical tainted milk and baby formula to us so we can all save a buck. They continue to want Canada to raise immigration levels to provide more consumers for their products, they want the dismantling of our Healthcare system and to promote private ownership of these industries. They have sold Ontario hydro, why, for a one time cash payment and now the yearly profits will go to private corporations. One world government coming but it will be run like a corporation. Ask the Cons why they are buying the F35 because we are told to by Washington.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next