Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Statement from the Minister with regards to the Sacred Obligation

+7
RCN-Retired
bigrex
pinger
Kramer
oldsailor
Recon031
Teentitan
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Statement from the Minister with regards to the Sacred Obligation - Page 3 Empty Re: Statement from the Minister with regards to the Sacred Obligation

Post by Teentitan Mon 11 May 2015, 20:27

Oh and let's spread some of the LTD for life hate towards the party that took it away from us in 1995....the Liberals.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Statement from the Minister with regards to the Sacred Obligation - Page 3 Empty Re: Statement from the Minister with regards to the Sacred Obligation

Post by Teentitan Mon 11 May 2015, 20:26

I'll give credit where credit is due that NDP proposal paper is good but like you said propat just words but good words so far.

If the NDP win that's a fight I'd love to see between Stoffer and senior bureaucrats!

Yes O'Toole can speak to Kenney but if we are going to gang up on getting LTD for life back let's gang up on everyone is all I'm saying.

I know I'm going to regret saying this but here goes....

With all the announcements last month yes they are not going to help a lot of us right now but I see it helping a lot of veterans in the future.

The majority of us have the PA but future vets don't so wonder how they are going to feel? These improvements are some of the issues advocates have been fighting for for the last 9 years for future vets.

Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 May 2015, 20:12

frack the puppets go to the puppeteer if the MND or MVA want to make changes they cant if harper doesn't want to . if they don't want to do something they will if harper tells them to.

don't see the use of needless communications between to puppets when they are being controlled by the same puppeteer .

ya I realize that the fact that there are only aprox 9 points separating 3 parties right now plus the Alberta debacle shows the cons they are going to have to spend a lot more time taking down the NDP as well as the libs .

the thing is ya can spray as muck freebees on that big pile of political bull.

its still gonna stink.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Mon 11 May 2015, 19:51

Interesting letter from the minister Teen. I am inclined to think he actually wrote it and not a speechwriter, just proof-read and "approved".
Somehow, I find it a departure from anything Fantino would have put out.
Not sure if the letter was a VAC media release but am curious who it may have been cc'd to.  

Of course, the devil's in the details (or words) many of us have encountered. And that said, most politicians are a better devil's advocate than I am.

Some of the wording in the letter also mentions the NDP in a tone like plagiarism. Well, are not the opposition parties supposed hold the GoC to account? What was that called again...? Democracy... THAT'S IT!!! The NDP may agree with the majority of the proposal, and if some things or words are tweaked might support it whole-hearted and heatedly Smile
i.e.  "obligation may be fulfilled" vs. "is obligated to fulfil" from the comparison ... Here is the proposal for the Sacred Obligation thread.

You touched on Recon's sisip ltd post Trooper. Now if sisip ltd is outside of VAC's mandate and in the DND's like Teen mentioned, why can't the VAC minister speak with the DND minister like he has done with the Minister of Finance? It's a very contentious issue and Sisip ltd seems to overlap VAC and DND.

Meanwhile, pigs will fly in a perfect world when all hell freezes over. Here's hoping.
pinger.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Mon 11 May 2015, 19:49

There are certainly many areas where the government can step up to the plate and truly support the many men and women who have sacrificed so much.

My frustration comes by way of VRAB. Many veterans would have much more if the valid claims were not falsely denied. Fair evaluation and compensation, not flat out Deny, Delay, Die (not necessarily in that order) and not so much as the benefit of doubt. I suspect Minister O'Toole is very good friends with the Chair of VRAB, Mr. J. Larlee as I have never heard him speak of VRAB or why the Ombudsman has called that office "UNFAIR" on multiple occasions and nothing......NOTHING being done to address the years of so much wrong doing. Sure swap personnel.......just like what was said....change the Ministers all you want........still the same government.

Bashing the NDP to make themselves look good (not so sure that's possible at this stage) just goes to show how weak his/their position is.

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 671
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 May 2015, 19:40

well again just words but this is the most significant I've seen in print .READ THIS.

http://xfer.ndp.ca/2014/2014-01-31-Support-Veterans/VeteransPolicyPaper-EN.PDF

if this plays out the way we would all hope these would be REAL improvements.

just words but the best I've seen so far.  

propat

Last edited by propat on Mon 11 May 2015, 20:13; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 May 2015, 18:20

I'm not real optimistic that anything of real significant change is coming by either the present government - or any future government that would reflect Veterans as a whole.
I just don't see the signals by any one government.
Changing the SISIP for life would be one of those significant changes, but implementing this change would only prove the start of showing ones true colors, it is a change that would affect a lot of Veterans.
Just think about it for one minute, it took a law suit to get our clawback, back, do you think the government is going to step in an change our LTD for life, not likely.
There's a lot of window dressing going on here when we talk about the NVC, and the changes that have been made to it.
Teen, yes SISIP is under national defense, but if our MVA wants to make a major move he can certainly work with national defense  to get some sort of ball rolling on this, different ministers, same government.

Like I have said before, with the now NVC in place, and no one political party willing to step up with real, and I mean real improvements - or solutions such as putting this charter in file 13 there's no real end in sight to the fight that lies ahead for the Veterans of today, and the Veterans of tomorrow.

There's only one way that I can see real significant changes to " ALL VETERANS " and that's by way of the courts.

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsailor Mon 11 May 2015, 17:44

Mr. O'Toole's statement mean nothing what so ever except trying to get our votes on the next election. The Conservative has a majority and can pass what ever they want when they want. All this statement is, to play on Veterans emotions and hopefully get there votes for the next elections. How stupid do you really think we are.

oldsailor
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2012-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 May 2015, 17:03

I agree with Recon, throw something on the table that truly helps out veterans, not 10 or 100 veterans but thousands as the extension of sisip Ltd for life would. To me this statement means nothing it's like a pot of soup, lots of broth but no meat at all. As for the MND they all sit around the same cabinet table, why doesn't Otoole whisper over to Kenney to get up to date with what veterans really want. Extend sisip Ltd for life

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Mon 11 May 2015, 16:42

Recon the SISIP LTD is not the VAC Minister's policy it belongs to the Minister of National Defence. So you should be sending the request towards the Military Ombudsman or the MND.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Recon031 Mon 11 May 2015, 16:29

......... OK .... One BIG ITEM Missing on your List Minister O'Toole is .....

.... SISIP Ltd , for all Veterans receiving it ... For Life ... NOT STOPPING @ 65 .

& the Conservatives want OUR VOTE ??? NOT !

UNLESS , you CHange the POLICY for Sisip Ltd & EXTEND it for LIFE .

...6 years as Minister , YOU GET a PENSION FOR LIFE & A BIG ONE !!!

GIVE "" DISABLED COMBAT VETERANS "" THEIR pension for life & you HAVE our vote !

For Country
Retired Army MasterSniper
Dave Fitzpatrick
Family of .......7....... Get er' Done Bye's !
Recon031
Recon031
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 243
Registration date : 2013-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 May 2015, 15:39

amen For Country

Back to top Go down

Statement from the Minister with regards to the Sacred Obligation - Page 3 Empty Statement from the Minister with regards to the Sacred Obligation

Post by Teentitan Mon 11 May 2015, 15:37

Colleagues,

When I first stood in the House as Minister of Veterans Affairs in January of this year I cited Sir Robert Borden in my first response describing the tremendous obligation Canada has towards our veterans.  I said we would do business differently, and would work closely with you and your colleagues as we improve how Veterans and their families are served.  As I noted at the recent Veterans Summit in Ottawa a few short weeks ago, our Government has provided formal recognition of this obligation in the Bill I introduced before Parliament to legislate this obligation into the New Veterans Charter. It reads:

The purpose of this Act is to recognize and fulfil the obligation of the people and Government of Canada to show just and due appreciation to members and veterans for their service to Canada. This obligation includes providing services, assistance and compensation to members and veterans who have been injured or have died as a result of military service and extends to their spouses or common-law partners or survivors and orphans. This Act shall be liberally interpreted so that the recognized obligation may be fulfilled.

This is purpose statement of my Bill was the direct result of consultations with veterans groups from across the country and from my own work in an out of Parliament. It uses the language first used by Borden to frame the duty owed to veterans and specifically states that this will be liberally applied. You will recall that I read out and discussed this obligation statement at the Veterans Summit and it was very well received by all groups.

Just as we are making progress on a few challenges from the New Veterans Charter and a month after tabling a Bill it appears the NDP are intent on playing politics to delay passage of my reforms and to try and bring controversy in an area when none exists.

I am writing to you because I have learned that the NDP have copied much of the Support for Veterans and their Families Act statement into a Parliamentary Motion that will be debated in the House of Commons today.  They are trying to divide and play political games at Veterans expense. I can’t agree to that. Seeing as they copied the text of our purpose clause, I am pleased to confirm our Government will support the parliamentary motion albeit with reservations because of the political undertones of the opposition party.

‎I also worry that the opposition parties know that I promised veterans and their families that we would pass the new benefits and reforms by June‎. Since almost all of my reforms were agreed upon by all parties last year I had hoped they would help me achieve swift passage of these reforms but that hope seems to have disappeared.

Delay of these reforms and posturing by the other parties is unacceptable. Therefore, working with the Prime Minister and Minister of Finance, the Veterans measures in C-58 are now also included in the Budget Implementation Bill C-59. The Budget Implementation Bill requires passage by June, so the inclusion of all of my reforms - including the obligation clause - in this second Bill is my failsafe to ensure I keep my commitment to veterans and their families.

Friends, to say I am disappointed with the opposition parties is an understatement. The NDP are making this move just a few days after I confirmed I will appear at the Standing Committee on Veterans Affairs this week to answer questions and push for swift passage of C-58. In fact, I was appearing for a longer period of time than normal for a Minister at committee as I had hoped for cooperation.  But while I am fully prepared to debate them on the merits of their proposal, what I cannot agree to is a motion that takes away Parliament’s clear guidance to my department that they shall liberally construe all eligibility in favour of a Veteran and his or her family. I cannot also agree to stall the progress we are making in terms of keeping dialogue informed and respectful.

‎I am therefore calling on the NDP to stop these games, pass their motion and lets get back to work improving the lives of Veterans and their families. I only wish they had used their parliamentary time to move the Support for Veterans and their Families Act along in Parliament.

Please know that I appreciate your support and contributions and look forward to continuing to work with you
Yours aye,

Erin O'Toole, PC, CD, MP.

VVi Publisher, CSAT Forum Master comment:  I was at the Summit the Minister refered to and as stated ALL organizations agreed.  Mike Blais himself agreed and was happy with the sacred obligation Minister O'Toole wants in the NVC.

Last edited by teentitan on Mon 11 May 2015, 15:41; edited 1 time in total
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3