Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles

+12
ColdWarVet1980
Dannypaj
Rifleman
BinRat
Sapper Zodiak
johnny211
Kramer
pinger
bigrex
Rags
Teentitan
birdgunner
16 posters

Page 16 of 19 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down

Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 16 Empty Re: Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles

Post by bigrex Tue 18 Aug 2015, 09:52

It would be interesting to see that invitation list, to see if there were any actual Veterans allowed inside, or were they merely using the legion to give the impression that Harper was talking to Veterans. More smoke and mirrors.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 16 Empty Re: Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles

Post by Ex Member Tue 18 Aug 2015, 08:33

No Riddick you have perfect 20/20 vision. You know crap when you see it and we all know it is lying bulls--t coming out of his mouth.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 16 Empty IN THE NEWS: Vets Shut Out of Harper Event at Legion Hall

Post by Kramer Tue 18 Aug 2015, 08:17

For those that have read the article posted here on VVi

I am not surprised Harper did what he did to the vets. He wanted a captive audience by invitation only....those he believed would be voting for him.... and he got it.

He is just an OCD, hide in the closet chicken ****. It disgusts me to know he is called our leader. He does not want anything to do with us.....but wants to lead us??? talk about hypocrisy. He needs to be locked out of cushy office. His principles, values and ethics are not inline or in the best interest of Canadians.......or am I just totally blind of his leadership abilities and really just shocked he continues with the outdated Bobby Goldsboro hair style?

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 20 Jan 2015, 13:35

The problem with the legion, is because they choose to remain quiet on the majority of issues affecting younger Veterans, the GOC can use their silence as justification for their actions. "If the legion isn't complaining, then everything must be OK!" type idea. Or they use the legion's complacency, and need for government funding, to make widespread changes that affect almost 0% of RCL membership. Like the NVC. The legion signed off on the NVC, but how many RCL member have even had to collect a lump sum payment? Let alone a lump sum payment that is supposed to support them, and their families, for several decades. Probably not very many. So why should their voice, or in some cases silence, be more important than online communities that consist of the actual Veterans that have been affected by these changes? Does having a meeting hall, where they can sit around and drink with other individuals, somehow make any Canadian, more important, or wiser, about issues affecting Veterans, than actual veterans who would rather log onto a computer? If that is the case, why not let the Lions Club, or the Hells Angels join the advisory group. They have club houses across Canada.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Jan 2015, 12:34

I think early on around world war I, the legion was more military oriented along with military members family's and the RCMP.

It wasn't until later the Membership's were open to the general public.

I think it is the early years that has brought about how the government views and respects the Legions in general, that respect I think continues today regardless of the change in the general public becoming part of Legions right across the Country, as we all know the government continues to listen to what the Legions have to say.

Don't get me wrong - the Legions do offer great services to Veterans, and can speak on our behalf on certain issues, I think the problem lies with the Legion not embracing other Veterans group in what these groups are saying, it seems to me if the legion was not so Isolated within itself, it would be better for all in listening to what Veterans are saying regardless of them being a member or not.

In my own opinion, any Legion spoke person who is speaking on behalf of Veterans, should be a Veteran, and should also consolidate with Veterans outside of the Legion in hearing all points of views.

I know very little about the Legions, so my above remarks may not be correct, just wrote what I think as to what little I do know, and have seen lately in the Media.

Back to top Go down

Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 16 Empty Do we need a new RCL?

Post by pinger Mon 19 Jan 2015, 19:25

Was thinking for quite a while how past prime the legion may be for veteran’s purposes now a days.
I bear in mind some of you guys and gals may belong to a legion and might respect you if you do.
Never joined a legion myself. A couple of their SO’s did help me. Some legion members are very old
and highly decorated war vets with a full “metal” jacket and I respect that.

My sister volunteers at some legion hall somewhere for bingo days. She never served in the forces, just a nice person.
But if I was inclined to play bingo, Hell, I’d go to a regular bingo hall. A legion near me has spaghetti Sundays…Nope.

Maybe I should really spend some time at a legion someday. Ya know, get to meet the civies… I’ll really try.

But ain’t it more striking how the rcl has an impact to the goc?
And exactly what kind of camaraderie has that tasted like?

Just speaking out. pinger.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Oct 2014, 17:13

that seems like a good solution for sure big rex but id prefer something with a hard and fast rule. im probably just paranoid by looking at how VRAB operates or some DVA CM,S operate (not mine or at least the one I have now) I know how they are suppose to do things and have seen them do quite the opposite. it just makes it harder for these guys to frack you over with a hard and fast rule in place .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 18 Oct 2014, 14:43

Actually propat, I don't think it would be too hard to manage. All VAC needs to do is, if a Veteran chooses a lump sum, instead of a monthly cheque, it prompts VAC to phone them or schedule a home visit if close to a VAC office. Then, during that conversation, if there are no red flags, VAC staff ensures that the client knows the full extent of their decision, then anything that occurs afterwards is on the Veteran. If the client is someone suffering from PTSD, then they could request that the veterans spouse or NoK, be involved in the discussion as well.

I don't think there would be many that would opt for a lump sum, so it's not like it would over tax the system, but there are some instances where it is preferred, and they should have the right to choose what is best for them
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Oct 2014, 11:33

yup all good points buds but when it comes to choice im a little concerned about those suffering from PTSD especially those with addiction issues . im also concerned about singling them out . not sure how that would be resolved maybe limiting some choices to those at 50% or below or something like that.

as far as asking these guys for anything its hard to pin these guys down to a simple yes or no to a specific question trust me I know.

it has really come time to flip the script its sad to say.

we really need a veterans political action committee one that shows vets will vote on block in mass.

if that is possible and happens they will come to us asking what we want.

always question authority

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sat 18 Oct 2014, 11:24

One thing I forgot to mention when I made this posting is at this years Dominion Command Meeting a resolution was put forth by

the Legion that they are pulling their approval on the NVC until there is significant changes and the NVC actually becomes what it was said to be...a living document.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say this is a pretty big resolution as the Legion may have put their yearly grant from VAC in jeopardy. The grant is for travel expenses for Legion members to visit veterans in homes or check up on veterans who still live in their home.

If they really want to put a choke hold on the system they should call a press conference and remove their Service Officers from representing vets and actually go on strike at every location a VRAB hearing is being conducted.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 18 Oct 2014, 10:18

I completely agree with you propat. The report's recommendations were too vague, and the response even stated that they did not fully understand how the ELB recommendation would work. As far as ending the lump sum, I just do not see this government ever doing anything about that, even if God himself spoke to Harper, he would only accuse him of being a Liberal hack, or a patsy for the unions. So I think that more effort should be put into getting promises from the opposition parties, to end the buy out after the next election, if they gain power. And they wouldn't even have to totally eliminate the lump sum, just give the Veteran a choice. After all, if I was some young guy and had a minor disability, and was assessed at 5%, or an aging Veteran, I might prefer a lump sum, over the extra few hundred dollars a month. Maybe return to the pension for life, like under the PA, but give the veteran an option to receive X numbers of years, up front. So if I choose to get 5 years worth of payments up front, I get the lump sum, with yearly top ups to account for indexing. Then after 5 years, the veteran can then choose to get another lump sum, or start the monthly deposits. Some people would likely make better use out of a large lump sum, every few years, rather than a monthly payment that barely covers going out to dinner and a movie these days.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Oct 2014, 09:43

WOW let me check for a recommendation to end the buyout . ahh I see its just not their . some good stuff their I THINK some of it very ambiguous . still just half measures . ya I realize most legion members are on the old VA system and ending the buyout does absolutely nothing for them sure I get that . I see the list of half measure recommendations could help NVC clients AND VA clients as well and ya I get that as well . do for others only if you can do for yourself as well.

dunno what to do with this .

discussed and disillusioned.

propat

Back to top Go down

Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 16 Empty Legion Letter Writing Campaign

Post by Teentitan Fri 17 Oct 2014, 11:56

All;

As you will recall, we sent a News Release expression our disappointment with the government’s response to the House of Commons Standing Committee on Veterans Affairs (ACVA) Third Report entitled: “The New Veterans Charter: Moving Forward” which was unanimously adopted and distributed in June 2014. We are now rallying all Legion members, and all Canadians, to join us in calling for action from this government. We are launching a letter writing campaign effective immediately.

Attached you will find instructions on how to participate in the campaign. We have also posted a YouTube video expressing the same sentiments. Please give this the widest distribution possible and ensure that every Legion branch is made aware of this campaign and encouraged to participate. Should you receive any media enquiries, the talking points that you will need are found in the letter (attached). If you would prefer you are more than welcome to forward any media requests to Dominion Command.

http://www.legion.ca/fr/appel-a-laction-sur-la-nouvelle-charte-des-anciens-combattants/ French

http://www.legion.ca/call-for-action-on-the-new-veterans-charter/ English

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAMIUeB3mks&feature=youtu.be / Bilingual
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Rags Fri 06 Dec 2013, 07:07

Teen Im loving the TMZ reference....Robby F&F also very funny. You all lightened my day. No matter how accurate and true my statement you are right I should ease the vengeance I attached to a point I was making when it involves a Vet even if he is the worst kind of leader.
Rags

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Dec 2013, 15:33

I agree with you both that is why I would love to talk to Romeo rather than blithe his fast and furious attempt, oh come on was i the only one thinking that

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 19 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next