Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles

+12
ColdWarVet1980
Dannypaj
Rifleman
BinRat
Sapper Zodiak
johnny211
Kramer
pinger
bigrex
Rags
Teentitan
birdgunner
16 posters

Page 7 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 19  Next

Go down

Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 7 Empty Re: Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles

Post by pinger Tue 28 Jun 2016, 19:27

Re: She wanted Canada’s veterans treated better and got banned from legion for her troubles.

JMO but that incident is absolutely pathetic and it's great that branch including the head branch got it's PR due in the national post.

She "has been suspended from that organization for a year." AND "is also prohibited from holding any position with the legion for another two years." sic.

Too bad that lady couldn't suspend that BRANCH from OPERATING for the same amount of time.

But perhaps there's personal internal politics at that branch??? Who knows.

On the flip side, I know of a couple personally close by who belong to a legion near me.
They are not vets. She had a stroke and is paralyzed. Legion "members" donated their time and built this huge wheelchair ramp for her. Then they came back and paid her back for the material. This is good... people helping people. But there shouldn't be a patch required. Fort McMurray didn't need one.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 7 Empty Re: Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles

Post by Teentitan Tue 28 Jun 2016, 11:18

Definite social club workings.

And to think this social club has access to our VAC file!
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 28 Jun 2016, 11:16

Well, if a young 24 or 30 year old Veteran walked into a Legion, and everyone there was vastly older than them, and civilians, and the few older Veterans that were there said they thought you weren't a real Veteran because "men were tougher, when they were in the military" type of stuff, would you stick around, in hopes of making things better? I wouldn't. I have nothing against gays, but I wouldn't start hanging out at a gay bar, in hopes that things will change, but at least the gay bar wouldn't try telling Ottawa that they speak for me, and all straight people, because the odd straight person happens to go to their bar.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Tue 28 Jun 2016, 10:46

Rex are you saying Legion members 'vett' a veteran at Legions before they even think of applying to become a member?

Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 28 Jun 2016, 10:22

Danny, the legion as a whole, is dysfunctional. Yes, there may be some branches that are better than others. Like the ones in Halifax, because so many Sailors spent their entire careers here, they tended to stay in the Halifax areas once they retired. So, I bet that the vast majority of Veterans who are Legion members live within 30 minutes of a large military base, or the NCR. But there are too many Legions that have very few veterans, if any, so when an actual young Veteran walks in, they are treated like an outsider, and then they go online and let their peers know about their experience, even further turning most younger Veterans against the legion.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Tue 28 Jun 2016, 05:59

I went and visited my local Legion the other day, nice place $40.00 membership.  Love the slot machine (wonder who's using those puppies? $$$ a plenty is being made) and a bar....perfect! I just went through my whole life being an alcoholic and this could be my trigger.
Didn't see anyone I recognized in there, but the ladies and gentlemen welcomed me in with open arms, even gave my little one a chocolate bar.
I want to give my local Legion a chance.
Make the people at the “top” dance a little while I am there as well.
Politics of the Legion needs a little ray of Sun shine (No Sunny Days in those places, “yet”).
Placing pressure in the right places can go a long way.
Thanks for the notification Joan Beznoski.
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 7 Empty She wanted Canada’s veterans treated better and got banned from legion for her troubles

Post by Guest Tue 28 Jun 2016, 05:14

She wanted Canada’s veterans treated better and got banned from legion for her troubles.

June 27, 2016 7:34 PM ET

The 82-year-old woman who tried to raise concerns about the mistreatment of veterans with the president of the Royal Canadian Legion has been suspended from that organization for a year.

Joan Beznoski, who never did get to talk to the legion’s president, is also prohibited from holding any position with the legion for another two years.

Beznoski, a legion member for 36 years, brought discredit to the organization for failing to follow its bylaws, according to the registered letter delivered to her home in Lac du Bonnet, Man.

Beznoski said she wasn’t surprised by the punishment, which is the harshest ever handed out by that particular branch. “Our veterans fought and died for freedom of speech and I get kicked out for trying to talk to the president,” she said in an interview. “Except I never even got to talk to him.”

Gail Conrad Davey, president of legion Branch 164 in Lac du Bonnet, did not respond to a request for comment.

Even before it was decided that Beznoski had violated the rules, Conrad Davey issued a statement condemning the woman’s actions and branding her as a disgruntled individual.

But at the heart of the matter appears to be an internal battle at the branch — and other legion locations — where veterans have been removed from key positions and replaced by civilian legion members.

Of the legion’s current 300,000 members, only about 50,000 are actual military veterans and there is growing concern the organization is turning into a social club focused on the needs of its civilian members.

Beznoski’s troubles began after she tried to phone the legion’s Ottawa headquarters and talk to dominion command president Tom Eagles to voice her dissatisfaction about how the country’s largest veterans’ organization was treating former soldiers.

She talked to a receptionist and later Brad White, the legion’s dominion secretary.

White then wrote to legion executives in Manitoba to inform them of the phone call.

In a letter, obtained by the Ottawa Citizen, White said the elderly woman wanted dominion command, the legion’s administration organization, to conduct an investigation into ongoing problems in the Lac du Bonnet branch, including allegations of bullying and disrespectful behaviour toward veterans.

White, however, noted in a letter to Dawn Golding, executive director of the legion’s Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario Command, that he had no intention of looking into those allegations.

Golding, in turn, wrote Conrad Davey pointing out White’s comments and adding, “I fully trust you will take action as you deem necessary.”

A short time later, Beznoski was asked to leave a bingo game to come into a back room at the legion hall to answer questions.

Among those questioning her was Trevor Jenvenne, a RCMP officer who would later sit as chairman of the committee that heard the complaint against Beznoski. Jenvenne’s mother, who is the secretary of the branch, also signed off on the complaint against Beznoski.

Trevor Jenvenne did not respond to a request for comment.

Bruce Poulin, a spokesman for the Royal Canadian Legion, said the dominion command president does not have jurisdiction to deal with branch matters. Beznoski was informed of the correct procedure to have her concerns addressed at the local level, he noted.

They went after this long-time legion member simply because she tried to make a phone call and raise awareness about problems veterans are dealing with at the local level.
“There is absolutely nothing to prevent any member from speaking with the dominion president on any occasion,” Poulin said.

Beznoski noted she had previously followed the legion’s protocols and submitted her concerns to the various levels over a year-long period. But no response was provided so she decided to try to approach Eagles.

Allan McArthur, a military veteran who helped Beznoski in her case, said he found it ironic that during the complaint process legion officials didn’t follow the protocols required. In the letter to Beznoski, the branch acknowledged that concern but added the issue is “moot.”

McArthur said an appeal could be launched with the legion’s Manitoba command but noted that would likely not succeed since a high-level official from that organization was a witness against Beznoski.

“They went after this long-time legion member simply because she tried to make a phone call and raise awareness about problems veterans are dealing with at the local level,” said McArthur. “I think the harsh nature of her punishment tells you a lot about how the legion is operating these days.”

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/she-wanted-canadas-veterans-treated-better-and-got-banned-from-legion-for-her-troubles

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Sun 19 Jun 2016, 19:25

I hear you propat. Good post as well Navvy because you speak of a social support net albeit RCL.
To each their own. It can be vital to have one to begin with for some of us.

Be it the whatever Society of Canada, or the Canadian fracking daffodil society. Some kind of social support to have with peers. Be it people, horse, dog, bird, whatever you choose is one thing, but much better to physically get out the door and interact with the world.

But back to RCL and related topics...
In my opinion the RCL finger in the GoC pie has been waaay too stinky for waaay too long.

Stay well everyone... and happy papa day to boot
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jun 2016, 17:36

well boys the branches are like people and S/Os are people ya got good ones and bad ones their are stories ive hared about both . I think for the most part the people at the branches are trying .

how effective is this org ? hard one to answer really with dominion command being very different than the branches .

dominion command through its actions or more commonly inaction's are and will keep supporting the GOC while they are fracking disabled vets . the good branches just try to pick up the pieces as best they can in a manner approved by dominion command .
boy that sure don't mean advocating for vets rights or speaking about how their own vet org should be run.

I think its a push really.

a branch starts advocating for say the return of the PA pension expect that to be shut down by dominion command ASAP and perhaps people thrown out for even attempting such a thing .

like most vets orgs these days they want YOU to check your civil rights at the door . freedom of speech , freedom of expression yaaaa not here buds ya want to say something as a member this org WE will tell you what to say and when to say it .

so ya its a push hoping it will get better but I really doubt it.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member Sun 19 Jun 2016, 15:31

Nothing beats legion spaghetti night! I like it because at my legion there is a lot of younger Afghan veterans and I love sitting around shooting the shyte with them over some cold cold suds! Sometimes it nice to not always concentrate on disabilities and just remember some of the fun times in the service. Sometimes some veterans get caught up in the disability battle and that's all their life becomes. You all only have one life and it's nice to chuckle and remember being young and actually loving what we did, I loved when I joined the forces and had some great experiences, and my whole release process was beautiful they did everything for me in Halifax, GOD I even collect CppD. For six months prior to release and still getting a paycheck from the forces. The legion kinda is more social for me and any help they provide to the young guys is a bonus.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Sun 19 Jun 2016, 13:30

propat wrote " if you are going to be a for profit social club then just be that .

if you are going to be a not for profit vets org then be that .

pretty shyte simple no????

Were on the same page propat. It's a very simple seperation to me.

Non-Profit vs. For-profit.
Honesty vs. Greed.

But here's a Q.  How effective has the RCL honestly been in supporting disabled vets overall in the last 10 - 15 years as a non-profit? I had a S/O help me very much 3 years back but I ain't no member, just an anomaly. Hit and miss I suppose.

I can really see them going private sector/profit in maybe 5 - 10 years or less.

Newbie's ain't joining, The oldies are dying... And the civies are left playing crib.

JMO

BTW... my spaghetti dinner is better
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 19 Jun 2016, 12:16

I agree with both of you. Also, the vast majority of younger Veterans return to their home towns after they get medically released. They haven't been at one base long enough to lay down roots, either living in barracks or PMQ's if married. So they are often already distanced from their peers, both emotionally and now geographically. So many are not likely to walk into their local legion, and sit down with a bunch of people 2 or 3 times their age, and strike up a conversation. Add on the fact that most of those seniors have not even been in the military. And those Legion members that have served, have often said that the younger Vets need to take what they were given and be happy. It doesn't promote an environment that would be very appealing to younger veterans
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jun 2016, 11:58

well yup good point buds but that would have to come down to honesty vs greed wouldn't it ?

if you are going to be a for profit social club then just be that .

if you are going to be a not for profit vets org then be that .

pretty shyte simple no????

the two do not mix on a moral level for obvious reasons .

honesty VS greed witch one do you think will win out in this org ???

perhaps the same one that's been winning out for decades already ???

this old beast will never change I'm afraid the leaders and future leaders will use it and abuse it to their own greedy ends without any paus or concern for vets and then move on.

always question authority

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Sun 19 Jun 2016, 11:37

Here's a bold shortcut...

RCL discontinues it's not-for-profit status. They are FOR profit instead.
They get listed on the TSE and everyone lives happily ever after. The End.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jun 2016, 09:33

yes nav that would be one of many reasons for sure . think about this thou . a bunch of afghan vets out their now many disabled . a lot of these guys are really peed off over what happened in 06 putting themselves or their friends in a pretty tough spot . they are fighting in many ways mostly letter righting to politicians but some social media stuff as well and every now and again share their stories with mainstream media and joining differed vets orgs .

I'm thinking if that particular organization didn't help throw these guys under the bus but were now actually passionately fighting the GOC on their behalf over the last 10 years they would have seen the largest influx of actual veterans joining that they have seen in a very long time .

vets are sick to death of the do as I say vets orgs that tell you what you can or cannot say or do military style BS stuff. these vets have checked their rights and freedoms at the door in the past for the opportunity to put their lives on the line for their country and ended up getting fracked . very few of these guys are willing to join orgs that will one again see them lose their rights and freedoms. if the leaders were real leaders when they took their positions they should have been checking their own beliefs and concerns at the door as they should no longer matter AT ALL .

they should be their SOLELY to represent and act on behalf of its members witch in large part consists of listening to its members in an open and honest manner to find out exactly what that is . NOT telling its members what they will listen to or what they will do .

ya see some of that work can be hard for sure but the dissension making is easy . if your not sure what to do give it a little time the members will tell ya what to do or what position to take .

ALL YA GOT TO DO IS LISTEN .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 19  Next