Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Assorted Merged Stored Topics

+24
Rags
Slaket
abetterway
Dannypaj
armybulldog
1993firebird
rucksack031
Kramer
Dove96
meteck
Sapper Zodiak
birdgunner
johnny211
2 Truck
BinRat
Rifleman
cosmo12
pinger
loggie
Teentitan
prawnstar
bigrex
Jeffery M
28 posters

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

who do you want to win this election ?

Assorted Merged Stored Topics - Page 4 Vote_lcap100%Assorted Merged Stored Topics - Page 4 Vote_rcap 100% 
[ 19 ]
Assorted Merged Stored Topics - Page 4 Vote_lcap0%Assorted Merged Stored Topics - Page 4 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Assorted Merged Stored Topics - Page 4 Vote_lcap0%Assorted Merged Stored Topics - Page 4 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 19

Poll closed

Assorted Merged Stored Topics - Page 4 Empty Re: Assorted Merged Stored Topics

Post by Guest Thu 12 Nov 2015, 13:36

To me Peter is looking a little tired these days but that hasn't stopped him from from helping Veterans as this is what he loves to do so with the go ahead from his wife an the PM , perhaps we will see him in the senate one day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Nov 2015, 07:01

ya bigrex but isn't going to the senate kinda like semi-retirement without the pay cut?

he may just very well like that god knows he does deserve it.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 11 Nov 2015, 21:58

The thing is, I believe that he was set to retire anyways, and only ran because the NDP felt that they had a better shot of forming the new government than ever before. After so many years of being the Veterans Affairs critic, anyone would have loved the chance to be the actual Minister for once, even just to implement the immediate changes that they promised, before retiring. That would have been a fitting swan song for such a outstanding career, but I think that his time in public office is over, and will use his loss to retire gracefully.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Wed 11 Nov 2015, 19:37

What a great idea! Nice to know he'll still be around in some capacity he chooses.

We need more Peter Stoffers!
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Assorted Merged Stored Topics - Page 4 Empty Move afoot to put Peter Stoffer in Senate

Post by Guest Wed 11 Nov 2015, 18:12

Sen. Peter Stoffer?

Well, not yet. But one group of veterans is aiming to get the former orange MP and veterans affairs critic into Canada’s Red Chamber.

A petition has been making the rounds online with the goal of convincing Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to appoint Stoffer to the Senate when he eventually fills the 22 vacant seats in the upper house.

“Mr. Stoffer is a most respected politician; during his 18.4 years tenure in the House of Commons he has received a number of acclamations,” the preamble reads.

So far, 360 people from coast to coast have “signed” the petition — a little ways from the initiative’s goal of a million signatories.

John Labelle, a Lower Sackville resident and 38-year veteran, launched the online petition in late October with two other veterans. He plans to circulate it until after Christmas, and is optimistic it will catch on.

“We’re going to do everything we possibly can,” Labelle said.

“Once people read it, I’m sure they’ll sign.”

Labelle said he believes the NDP’s Stoffer, who lost the Sackville-Preston-Chezzetcook seat to Liberal MP Darrell Sampson by 6,500 votes, was a victim of the strategic “stop Harper” vote that helped buoy the nationwide Liberal surge. He said he thinks the Senate would be the perfect setting for Stoffer to continue his longtime work fighting for veterans and their families.

We haven’t found anyone who doesn’t like Peter Stoffer,” Labelle said.

“He got along so well with all the MPs in the House of Commons.”

Speaking to The Chronicle Herald while clearing the last of his personal effects from his Lower Sackville constituency office, Stoffer said he was flattered by the sentiment but wouldn’t speculate on if he would accept such an appointment.

“The reality is there’s many, many, many qualified people out there that if Mr. Trudeau wanted to put in the Senate, he would have a wonderful group of Canadians across the country to (choose from). For myself to speculate one way or the other would simply be very very premature.”

This isn’t the first attempt to keep the popular former MP in public life. Others have called for Trudeau to name Stoffer the deputy minister of veterans affairs, a role held by retired general Walt Natynczyk, or even the veterans ombudsman.

Stoffer has made it clear he plans to continue his work for veterans in some capacity, and said he’s willing to offer assistance to the provincial or federal government, if requested.

Since his election defeat, he said, he’s been approached by several organizations but has yet to make any decisions about his future.

He’ll continue to be a presence at the local legion, where he’s been a member for 19 years, he said, but plans to enjoy some time off with his family, as well as take a vacation with his wife for his 60th birthday in January.

“I (won’t) decide about what I’m going to do professionally or personally until February or March,” he said.

Of course, anything I do has to have the approval of my wife now; she’s my general manager.”

But his time off hasn’t stopped him from continuing to lend a hand when requested.

“I met some veterans today; a couple of them had some issues and I was able to deal with them on the phone very quickly for them. It felt good to be able to do that, even as a private citizen.”

Though Trudeau ultimately has the final say on who gets a Senate seat, he has promised to put in place an independent panel to advise him on appointments.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1321793-move-afoot-to-put-peter-stoffer-in-senate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Nov 2015, 19:47

And if you want to go straight to the top ~

The Right Honourable Justin Trudeau, P.C., M.P.
Prime Minister

Parliament Hill:

Department:
Prime Minister of Canada
Langevin Building
80 Wellington Street
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0A2
Telephone: 613-992-4211
Fax: 613-941-6900

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Nov 2015, 19:40

Just to add to the list:

The Honourable Harjit Singh Sajjan, P.C., M.P.
Minister of National Defence

Parliament Hill:

Department:
National Defence
Major-General George R. Pearkes Building
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0K2
Telephone: 613-996-3100
TTY: 1-800-467-9877
Fax: 613-995-8189

E-Mail: dnd_mdn@forces.gc.ca

Last edited by Sparrow on Mon 09 Nov 2015, 19:48; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Nov 2015, 19:34

This may be of use:

The Honourable Kent Hehr, P.C., M.P.
Associate Minister of National Defence, Minister of Veterans Affairs

Parliament Hill:
Department:
Veterans Affairs
66 Slater Street, 14th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0P4
Telephone: 613-996-4649

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Nov 2015, 19:30

bigrex made a serious funny, and all are becoming an awesome team what the "H" is going on. lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Nov 2015, 19:27

Sent an email to Hon Hehr and hopefully someone from his department will provide a phone number so Veterans can contact directly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Nov 2015, 19:00

Thanks again Sparrow.....only missing two phone numbers for the MVA but that will come in due time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Nov 2015, 18:49

Here you go Trooper for your updates Very Happy

Mailing Address:
The Honourable Kent Hehr
Veterans Affairs Canada
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0P4

Email Address:

minister_ministre@vac-acc.gc.ca

Contact Minister via on line at this link
https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/department-officials/minister/contact

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Nov 2015, 18:34

Thanks.....forgot to remove Peter but it's removed now.

Again if anyone can think of any other contacts just post it here an I'II update.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Nov 2015, 18:26

great stuff guys . well done.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Nov 2015, 16:50

Thanks to our good friend Sparrow I have updated some of Mr. Hehr's contacts , will update the Constituency Office & Hill House of Commons phone contacts at a future date as they become available.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next