Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Assorted Merged Stored Topics

+18
peep
Wife of a Veteran
DeeCee
MaggieinNB
ceedee
RCN-Retired
beleaf67
sailor964
froggie2u36
Rags
Sapper Zodiak
pteadams2002
acerman1234
dennismanuge
K9
OldZipperhead
bigrex
Teentitan
22 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

Assorted Merged Stored Topics Empty Assorted Merged Stored Topics

Post by Guest Thu 07 Apr 2016, 10:56

Veterans Affairs offices could re-open 'within the next year.

Windsor veterans debate timeline, red tape, bureaucracy

A Veterans Affairs office could re-open within a year in Windsor, according to the Liberal government.    

The timeline was included in a letter to Windsor West MP Brian Masse, after he wrote Veterans Affairs minister Kent Hehr asking when the office would re-open:

...our goal is to re-open all nine offices, including the one in Windsor, within the next year.

When CBC News requested confirmation, the ministry did not give the same timeline.

The language of the letter is not good enough for Masse. He said he expected a more detailed confirmation in response to his inquiry.

"This is a turn-key operation," he said. "This is something they can open in a matter of weeks, yet it's been six months now.

"We'll be calling on the community for support to get this done, if necessary. They shouldn't be using weasel words to fulfil this minor electoral promise. It's only a million dollars the Conservatives saved [by closing the Windsor office]."

'Awful frustrating'

Ralph Mayville, who fought with the Devil's Brigade in the Second World War, echoes Masse.

"That is a long time, a year. It should open tomorrow," he said. "You shouldn't be waiting that long to ask questions. It's better than nothing, but it could be a whole lot better."

Since the Veterans Affairs office closed in Windsor in January 2014, the 94 year-old has been travelling to London at least once a month to deal with his pension and disability paperwork.

Mayville is hard of hearing, so dealing with automated menus through the phone is difficult.

"It's awful frustrating. If it wasn't for my caretaker...she's the one who drives me," he told CBC News. "Thank God for that. It's an awful waste of time to go all the way down there, have a meeting, then have to drive all the way back. [Having the office in Windsor] made helluva difference."

Jumping through hoops

But not everyone shares that view.

For at least one other veteran, re-opening an office in Windsor would not make navigating the system any easier.

"As far as I'm concerned, it's a more expensive waiting room," said Jeff Gravel, who fought in Afghanistan and also uses Veterans Affairs services to help him deal with post-traumatic stress disorder. "The building won't bring about new employment for the veterans. They won't be manning desks. If it's about the services, the services haven't changed in the year it's been closed.

"We're asking wounded and ailing vets to jump through hoops like circus animals," the 40-year-old said. "They're wounded. That's why they need Veterans Affairs. We don't need the extra aggravation. We don't need the extra hoops or three levels of people to contact when we need someone done ... There's nothing a brick wall, a new building or waiting room there that's going to help us move it forward any faster."

Gravel said his concerns are more with the Veterans Affairs system itself.

"Tweak the system. The system is broken," he said

"We need to make amendments to it to accommodate the changing reality of vets that have served this country," Gravel said. "The needs have changed. The demographics of vets have changed. If that means altering the services somewhat, then that's what makes sense for everybody."

Gravel suggested money spent on opening an office could be put toward looking into treatments to help veterans suffering from war injuries, "moving away from the pharmacological aspect of things and exploring alternative treatments for veterans to get them on the road to recovery. To make them employable. To get them back in the community."

The federal government did not tell CBC News where the office will be located.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/veterans-affairs-offices-could-reopen-within-year-1.3523403

Back to top Go down

Assorted Merged Stored Topics Empty Re: Assorted Merged Stored Topics

Post by Dove96 Mon 25 Feb 2013, 11:05

Thank you for your insight.
I am starting to pick out some of the more adult and committed people. It is nice to have like-minds around.
I am happy to find this site, for the longest time I only knew about Facebook and the people on there are even more volatile.
Dove96
Dove96
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by ceedee Mon 25 Feb 2013, 07:36

agreed brother

ceedee
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2012-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rags Mon 25 Feb 2013, 07:33

Well Dove, I for one dont get to upset or bothered by the one or two hit and run avatars. They are the same people who are not happy and have an axe to grind. Im obviously not happy with result but I stay and pass comment and try and understand how we got here and where we are going. Sometimes more then not we are all on a really big ship laden with cargo and people and it takes alot of time and work to just turn the big ship a little to alter course. My goal is always to guide the ship to the best destination I see. I know that that change requires alot of work and effort to just nudge the ship a little to steer a better course. I know I cant turn it around but I sure can change its direction over time. Unfortunaetly in this case the ship had a closed bridge and no information so we who wanted to change the direction only had a few days to push the nose of this massive ship a few degrees and all we had to work with was a little skiff and a 9HP johnson. And a small crew of willing people that was only about 15 total.

So I see all those that stay the course here and dont agree but have good passionate arguments as solid people even if I dont agree with them all the time. It is the sarcastic mouth pieces that that throw out such rediculous comments that they love the deal and lawyers or hate the deal so bad they shit all over the site. No one is going to love the deal and no one will hate it to the point of the crap that is said here so you just ignore them. Those Avatars are all the same few people they come and go with a couple of idiotic posts and return later as another to say same stuff. Some times they even use two at same time and answer there own thread with a supportive comment from one of there other avatars.
Just ignore them they do not define who the real CSAT people who are discussing the issues are.
In conclusion we do all get along we all have that allegiance it never went anywhere. you are getting caught up in the lost mind of a few people who change avatars and cause crap here.

Last edited by Rags on Mon 25 Feb 2013, 07:40; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Dove96 Mon 25 Feb 2013, 00:15

Most sensible thread I've read on here.
My Motto: Be patient, everyone is fighting some sort of battle.
and of course...
Don't worry be happy.
Dove96
Dove96
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Rags Sun 24 Feb 2013, 22:22

Ah I was just asking but it did draw you out as a past avatar hit and run.

Rags
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Feb 2013, 21:45

Why you ask? Rags? Because without him nothing ZERO aught, blank, bottom, insignificancy, lowest point, nada, nadir, naught, nil, nix,nonentity, nought, nullity, oblivion, ought, rock bottom, scratch, shutout, void, zilch, zip, zot

THAT IS WHY ! DENNIS TO US IS LIKE TIGER IS TO GOLF - HE PUT MONEY INTO EVERYONE OF OUR POCKETS

I ask everyone here to send Dennis 1% of the money you receive after taxes and legal ...with the simple word THANKS

IF YOU DONT.... DONT CALL ME YOUR FRIEND!( UNLESS THE JUDGE AWARDS MORE THAN 1% )

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 24 Feb 2013, 20:39

Maybe the stipend should go to Dennis's brother, because they have publicly made the assertion that VAC has unjustly denied his brother benefits just because they have the same last name. He is the true victim of governmental vindictive actions.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrelove Sun 24 Feb 2013, 20:17

Nope...Walking Dead it is!

sabrelove
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2012-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Rags Sun 24 Feb 2013, 19:51

Why?

Rags
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Feb 2013, 18:44

50,000.00 is not enough. -1% Deal or no Deal? DEAL!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Feb 2013, 18:15

Tyronshoelaces -now she was funny!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Feb 2013, 17:51

Thank-you so very much..you make me very proud...Keep up all the great work!...Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Feb 2013, 17:49

Thank you dj691000.
sparrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Feb 2013, 17:47

Life is beautiful..Beautiful is crazy..My life is beautiful..just awesome

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content