Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sudbury Veterans' town hall set to go

Go down

Sudbury Veterans' town hall set to go Empty Many Canadian veterans forced to prove disabilities

Post by Guest Wed 27 Jul 2016, 17:29

To serve is not enough: many Canadian veterans forced to prove disabilities.

Sudbury MP Paul Lefebvre hosted a town hall meeting to address veterans’ concerns.

Jul 27, 2016

Veterans in Sudbury say they're fed up with the bureaucracy.

Several veterans attended a town hall meeting last night, organized by Sudbury MP Paul Lefebvre.

They said they're having trouble accessing medical benefits, and some are forced to pay for medication out of their own pockets.

Matthew Bleach was discharged from the Canadian military three years ago as a result of epilepsy.

He collects long term disability benefits from Veterans Affairs, but for a year, he's been fighting to get his medication covered because of changes in his prescriptions.

"One of the medications that my neurologist gave me isn't covered under their benefit plan," Bleach said, "probably because it cost $400 a month. So, they denied me. I had to pay for it for six months."

"I have full disability [benefits]. It's for my disability," Bleach said, "why are they not paying for our medications? Why do we have to fight them?"

Anastasia Dufour has been paying out of her own pocket while she waits for disability benefits.

She was granted a medical release after 36 years of service.

Despite her long career with the military, she said Veterans Affairs wants her to prove that she has a medical condition.

"They're trying to tell me [to], 'show that it's related to service.'" Dufour said, "well, I've been in the military my whole life. How is it not related to service?"

Sudbury MP Paul Lefebvre said he understands the concerns.

"What can we do? Are you aware that we are here to help you?," Lefebvre said, "I want to ask them as well, how is the best way to communicate with them?"

Lefebvre said he will meet with Veterans Affairs Minister Kent Hehr in September to discuss these matters further.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/town-hall-lefebvre-1.3696712

Back to top Go down

Sudbury Veterans' town hall set to go Empty Sudbury Veterans' town hall set to go

Post by Guest Mon 25 Jul 2016, 10:00

Sudbury Veterans' town hall set to go.

Face-to-face meetings part of Liberal plan to restore funding to Veterans Affairs.

Jul 25, 2016 8:57 AM ET

The federal Liberals promised to set aside $5.6 billion to bolster Veterans Affairs Canada. Now Sudbury MP Paul Lefebvre is holding a town hall meeting to get feedback on issues affecting veterans.

"It's so key that ... we hear from our veterans," Lefebvre said, "what the challenges are, how the veterans affairs offices can help. And, as well, what maybe we're doing well and where we could improve."

The Liberals have promised to hire hundreds of more workers to make up for the years of cuts to the department.

They're also talking about reopening of Veterans Affairs offices that were closed by the previous Conservative government.

"I think it's important that the veterans feel comfortable to bring forward their ideas and their opinions, and their constructive criticism," Lefebvre said, "because, at the end of the day, it's there to service them."

The town hall will take place Tuesday from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. at the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 76 on Weller Street.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/lefevbre-town-hall-1.3693496

Lefebvre to host town hall on veterans' issues

Discussion to cover care for veterans and mental health

Sudbury MP Paul Lefebvre will host a town hall discussion about veterans' issues at the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 76 on Tuesday, July 26.

The discussion will cover issues of care and support for veterans, mental health and service excellence.

A press release issued by Lefebvre said the 2016 budget delivers $5.6 billion in additional benefits and takes historic steps to treat veterans with care, compassion and respect.

“Veterans Affairs Canada is dedicated to making sure Veterans and their families have the support they need, when and where they need it, beginning with these local public consultations,” the press release said.

The discussion is scheduled to start at 7 p.m. At 1553 Weller Street, in Sudbury.

https://www.sudbury.com/local-news/lefebvre-to-host-town-hall-on-veterans-issues-343076

Back to top Go down