Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The system is broken

+5
Nemo
Panserbjørn
prawnstar
Teentitan
bigrex
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The system is broken Empty Re: The system is broken

Post by pinger Sat 10 Sep 2016, 14:35

Sad shyte all round. I suppose it is good to have townhall meetings. I'd go to one nearby.
But I am complacent and just can't remember what any have accomplished. Perhaps they have over time. But who's townhall? A VaC townhall, or a Veterans Ombudsman's townhall. Does the CF Ombudsman entertain townhalls.
Not to put it out of context but article says...
"  Ellis didn't speak a lot at the meeting, but took notes, along with the meeting's other host, Skip Simpson, who works for Ellis’s office. The feedback gathered was intended to go to Veterans Affairs Minister Kent Hehr. " My underline. WAS INTENDED?

That's past tense. Is it a damn article typo Sept. 01 or me? Furthermore, WHEN the MVA is aware of these townhall notes, what gets accomplished?
Perhaps a little more if there is an all round outcry of consensus.

No offence but hope I made a little sense simmering.

Stay safe...
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

The system is broken Empty Emotional town hall session hears plight of military veterans

Post by Guest Sat 10 Sep 2016, 09:56

http://m.insidebelleville.com/news-story/6835475-emotional-town-hall-session-hears-plight-of-military-veterans

Belleville – One by one, they took the microphone and spoke about how Veterans Affairs Canada has let them down.

A town hall-style meeting on veterans affairs, hosted by Bay of Quinte MP Neil Ellis at the Fairfield Inn on Aug. 31, turned into an emotional cry from the heart, as participants spoke about how a lack of support for veterans is stressing out spouses and causing those who've defended the country to live with a poor quality of life.

A woman who took the podium repeatedly, who only identified herself as Louise, asked Ellis to see a photo of her entire family so he would personally know that children are being impacted by Veterans Affairs' slow-moving and apparently sloppy bureaucracy.

The woman said she's a caregiver for her husband and their children and too often paper work she files to access benefits and services gets lost.

"My husband sacrificed his physical health, his mental health; you cannot lose my mail," she said, her voice rising in anger, while fighting off tears.

Ellis moments later took the photo she had removed from her purse and gave the woman a hug.

She wasn't the only one who spoke about how Veterans Affairs needs to serve spouses of veterans better, by helping them understand how to access services or benefits they're entitled to, in some cases, after their spouse's death.

"I found doing the paper work is very confusing," said a woman whose spouse had recently died. "They use a lot of letters and not spelling out what these letters means ... The money is not coming through as fast as it should be. I don't know how long it's going to be for CPP or for old age."

Dozens of other emotional pleas were given at the meeting, which was attended by about 100 people, of which roughly half seemed to be veterans themselves.

The group was told the Belleville meeting was the third of four mandated town hall-style meetings being held across the country to gather input on how to improve services for vets.

Ellis didn't speak a lot at the meeting, but took notes, along with the meeting's other host, Skip Simpson, who works for Ellis’s office. The feedback gathered was intended to go to Veterans Affairs Minister Kent Hehr.

There was a lot at stake for Ellis at the meeting, as the rookie Liberal MP was recently appointed to chair a federal standing committee on Veterans Affairs.

Prior to the Oct. 2015 election, the Liberals campaigned to add more services and benefits for veterans, given that Veterans Affairs was subjected to heavy criticism when under the Stephen Harper administration, when Veterans Affairs offices were shuttered across the country in an effort to save money.

Harper's former Veterans Affairs Minister Julian Fantino also came under fire during the Conservative era for confrontational meetings with veterans.

One speaker at the town hall acknowledged that Ellis and his Liberal colleagues are new in the role.

"You came into power saying you're going to do things for veterans, as long as you do it, you'll be all right," the man said.

But still other speakers took the microphone with fury in their voices.

A question posed to the audience about how the federal government should "re-establish life-long pensions as an option for injured veterans," sparked passion.

Several people suggested that the federal government must put a system in place where more veterans will qualify for a good pension or good benefits, especially if they've been injured on the job.

"They deserve a pension for life," said a man who identified himself as Ron Marsh. "You've got to stop this nonsense. If I lost my legs working on a factory I'd have $1,500 a month," he said, smacking his hands in anger.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 04 Sep 2016, 20:24

I was awarded a disability award in 2008 for PTSD, and I can't say for certain, but I could probably handle being back on base. Maybe not though, since my release at the end of 2006 I've never set foot back on any military installation. I also sold my firearms and have never fired a weapon since I was serving. Actually, the more thought I give it, living back on base under any circumstances would probably be a bad idea.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 04 Sep 2016, 20:17

Ya I can see that BinRat. I just don't want to see vets on the street. I still think a housing subsidy is the way to go, then veterans could pick where they want to live. And counselling and education benefits too.

I'm willing to bet many homeless vets would qualify for a disability award too, but because of their situation they might not be in a position to go through the process.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Sun 04 Sep 2016, 20:12

I couldn't for the exact reasons Binrat just mentioned. I'm sure some would be fine, not this guy though. I'd pick up an assault charge real quick.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by BinRat Sun 04 Sep 2016, 20:05

Actually Bruce there was another thread that I had brought that up, About the old PMQ's and stuff and the consensuses then, was or reply's was, alot of people once out, don't or wouldn't want to live on base again..

I can't remember what thread it was about when I mentioned it, but ya, if I remember correctly it was veterans released and have PTSD would rather not live on base as it brings back to much memory of times, and would make thier PTSD worst not better...

BinRat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 04 Sep 2016, 18:50

Well I know Canada gave a bunch of the old PMQ's at Rockcliffe in Ottawa for refugee housing, and there were hundreds sitting empty back in 2006 when I left Ottawa, that could possibly be used for temporary housing. But honestly, just putting a roof over their heads, isn't going to solve the problem. First they need to deal with the reason they were homeless in the first place, be it mental health issues, addictions, or both. Because just throwing money at them without offering them some kind of support network, there would be nothing keeping them from self destructing again.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 04 Sep 2016, 17:20

The government should should give homeless veterans a housing subsidy of $1200 dollars per month tax free payable for up to two years.   This would give them stability and time to seek counselling if they needed it or time for school etc.  

Another option would be to give them housing in barracks on existing military bases.  Edmonton always had empty barracks,  even Wainwright could be an option,  Trenton and Borden always have space too.  And the veterans that stayed on base could access services at the MIR, like counselling. And they could eat at the mess hall for a dollar per meal. At least they'd be among their brothers and sisters in arms again.

Back to top Go down

Post by BinRat Sun 04 Sep 2016, 16:36

Hmmm Habitat for Humanity, I seen a piece on the new one's where someone was just given there home.. And went wow, must be nice, Heck doubt if I eve will get a house of my own.

But then they said what is required to get one, and I was like, Ohhh really.. here's what you need to get to qualify to get one...

"Important Eligibility Information

To qualify for a Habitat home you must:

View our Online Housing Information Application Video;
Have a total family income (before taxes):
Between $43,560 and $65,313 for Ottawa residents;
Between $39,950 and $59,200 for Lanark County residents;
Be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident;
Be living somewhere that doesn’t meet your family’s needs;
Be steadily employed, but can’t afford or can’t obtain a conventional mortgage;
Be ready and able to contribute 500 hours of sweat equity to help build your own home and participate in other Habitat projects and community activities."

http://www.habitatncr.com/index.php/homeownership/apply-now

This was from the Ottawa Habitat for Humanity website, hence the reference for the Ottawa/Lanark residence..

So steady employed would that also mean EELB would qualify since most of us are unable to work.

Or have some other requirements just for Veterans, I dunno

BinRat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 271

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sun 04 Sep 2016, 16:18

Totally agree Bruce but with what Hehr said this week about the subsidy program just doesn't smell good.

When he was doing the rounds with tv when he first got the job one of the questions that was asked by both CBC and CTV was about VAC's plan for the homeless vets.

He said that he had to "co-ordinate" with the Provinces and Territories to make sure that VAC was not going against their homeless plan.

So this subsidy idea is going to be on the tree of wishes and hope for some time because I have not heard of any Provincial ideas for the homeless situation.

The only Canadian plan I have ever heard of is Habitat for Humanity. Now if VAC started conversations with this group it could have some good results. Especially around Military Bases because I'm pretty sure there would be some good manpower and skills to help build some homes for vets.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 04 Sep 2016, 16:12

I just hope that the veterans who are homeless get a housing subsidy. The street is no place for anyone. I can't imagine what that's like, but any veteran with physical and or mental impairments it must exacerbate the problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sun 04 Sep 2016, 16:05

Thanks Bruce forgot about that. But now that you jogged the memory cell the Cons didn't ignore it they asked for numbers to address the issue. With VETS Canada starting at the time Stogran brought that group to the governments attention. That's when the ball got rolling so the Cons didn't really ignore it.

VETS Canada shamed the Legion and they started their own homeless program too.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 04 Sep 2016, 14:53

Pat Strogan tried to bring the issue of homeless veterans to the attention of the Harper government when he was the ombudsman, but the Cons wouldn't hear of it.
Typical of the federal government to pretend the problem didn't exist. Deny, deny, deny.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sun 04 Sep 2016, 11:00

VAC never had a homeless policy until VETS Canada came along and proved that there was a homeless problem.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Panserbjørn Sun 04 Sep 2016, 01:36

I agree with you pinger. The infrastructure has decayed rather than improved. Which is why they have shunted responsibility to other organizations.

Panserbjørn
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2016-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next