Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poppy plates for veterans who ride motorcycles in N.L.

2 posters

Go down

Poppy plates for veterans who ride motorcycles in N.L. Empty Re: Poppy plates for veterans who ride motorcycles in N.L.

Post by Dannypaj Wed 16 Nov 2016, 07:54

For the purpose of this application, a Veteran means “a person who has honourably served in:
i. the Canadian Forces, the armed forces of another Commonwealth country, the armed forces of a wartime
ally of Canada or another Commonwealth country, or the Royal Canadian Mounted Police while on United
Nations service or on a peacekeeping mission, for a minimum of three years, in one or more of these services,
ii. the Merchant Navy or Ferry Command during wartime, or
iii. a theatre of war as a member of the Canadian Forces, or the armed forces of another Commonwealth
country or a wartime ally of Canada or another Commonwealth country
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Poppy plates for veterans who ride motorcycles in N.L. Empty Veterans honoured with new motorcycle plate

Post by Guest Wed 16 Nov 2016, 06:27

Veterans honoured with new motorcycle plate

THE CHRONICLE HERALD
Published November 15, 2016 - 8:24pm
Last Updated November 16, 2016 - 6:58am

Poppy plates for veterans who ride motorcycles in N.L. B97632466Z.120161116065843000G79FFR6D.11
Veteran Angus Cameron, shows off the new veterans' motorcycle licence plate on his bike. The plate will be available in the spring and has the same design as the vehicle plate with the Canadian flag on the left side and the word veteran on the bottom.

Veteran Angus Cameron, shows off the new veterans' motorcycle licence plate on his bike. The plate will be available in the spring and has the same design as the vehicle plate with the Canadian flag on the left side and the word veteran on the bottom. (STAFF)
Veteran Angus Cameron, shows off the new veterans' motorcycle licence plate on his bike. The plate will be available in the spring and has the same design as the vehicle plate with the Canadian flag on the left side and the word veteran on the bottom. (STAFF)
Nova Scotian veterans will receive their own motorcycle licence plate next spring, 15 years after the province became Canada’s first to honour military members with their own plates.

The veterans’ motorcycle licence plate sports the same design as the existing vehicle plate, with the Canadian flag on the left side and the word “Veteran” on the bottom of the plate.

“We are proud to have been a part of making this new veteran motorcycle plate available for the veterans of Nova Scotia,” said Steve Wessel, president of the Nova Scotia/Nunavut Command of the Royal Canadian Legion. “This plate will fit nicely alongside our existing car plate, which has been travelling the roads since 2002.”

In 2014, the Royal Canadian Legion updated its definition of a veteran to include all members of the RCMP. The Royal Canadian Legion defines a veteran as any person who is now serving or has honourably served in the Canadian Armed Forces, a Commonwealth nation or its wartime allies, a regular member of the RCMP, a peace officer in a special duty area or on a special duty operation, or someone who has served in the Merchant Navy or Ferry Command during wartime.

“Nova Scotia has a long tradition of military service," said Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal Geoff MacLellan. “The licence plate is another way that we can show our appreciation to the people who have served us, protected us and honoured us in uniform.”

Applications for the new motorcycle plate will be available online and at any Access Nova Scotia location this spring.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1415785-veterans-honoured-with-new-motorcycle-plate

Back to top Go down

Poppy plates for veterans who ride motorcycles in N.L. Empty Veteran Plates

Post by Guest Thu 18 Aug 2016, 22:24

I myself went out and got my Veteran Plates for my car.  What are your thoughts about Veteran plates and have other members here also attached them to your mode of transport.

Any Pro's and Cons  that you can see?

Pro for me, parking in White Rock and Surrey is now free.  
Pro hoping the RCMP will not give that speeding ticket in the future.

Con hoping some Army hater will not trash my car.

Mind you not driving these days to much for medication reasons.
I am in BC, you cann't  personnize you plate, you just get a Vet number Radom .  I was hoping you could put your environment and trade on the plate.  I am pretty sure they do some of that in the USA.

Sorry might have put this in the wrong fourm area.

Back to top Go down

Poppy plates for veterans who ride motorcycles in N.L. Empty Re: Poppy plates for veterans who ride motorcycles in N.L.

Post by Newf Thu 04 Aug 2016, 20:47

Great news. This is making me homesick.
Newf
Newf
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2014-09-13

Back to top Go down

Poppy plates for veterans who ride motorcycles in N.L. Empty Poppy plates for veterans who ride motorcycles in N.L.

Post by Guest Thu 04 Aug 2016, 11:01

Poppy plates for veterans who ride motorcycles in N.L.

Aug 04, 2016

The province of Newfoundland and Labrador has unveiled a special-edition licence plate for motorcycle riders who served in the military.

The plates, unveiled at a ceremony at the Conception Bay South war memorial on Thursday, feature a poppy.

Veteran Tom Skelding was the honourary first recipient who picked up his plate — Number VA0001 — from Premier Dwight Ball and Frank Sullivan, the president of the Royal Canadian Legion Provincial Command.

"I'm humbled to receive that number," said Skelding, who retired as an army captain from the Royal Canadian Dragoons, and started a letter-writing campaign to get the special plates.

"Motorcycles have always been part of the military, going back to pre-World War One, dispatch riders ... In the second war, there were motorcycle regiments," he said. "There's a history of motorcycling and the military. A lot of military folks take it up as a hobby."

He said wearing the plates raises awareness.

"They see the veteran. They see the poppy, and they know what some of us did for a living."

Ball said the plates are a sign of respect for veterans who live in Newfoundland and Labrador.. He said the poppy symbol of remembrance is already featured on vehicle licence plates.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/poppy-licence-plates-veterans-motorcycles-newfoundland-1.3707162

Veterans’ Motorcycle Plates Unveiled In CBS

August 4, 2016

Premier Dwight Ball was at the war memorial in CBS today to unveil a new veterans' motorcycle plate.

The new design became a reality through collaboration between the provincial government and the Royal Canadian Legion.

The plate features the legion's official red poppy which is a well known symbol of remembrance. The poppy was first made available for vehicles last year and since then, has been incorporated into the motorcycle plate design.

Veteran Tom Skelding was recipient of the first plate numbered VA-001.

Skelding served with Canadian Army and retired as a Captain in the Royal Canadian Dragoons. He played a key role in getting the new plates created through a letter writing campaign that began over a year ago.

Skelding says it is important to him that people recognize veterans in the community.

He says the plates also encourage veterans to connect with one another and he feels honoured and humbled to be the first recipient.

http://vocm.com/news/veterans-motorcycle-plates-unveiled-in-cbs/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down