Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is ELB really equal to SISIP in ALL cases ????????

4 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is ELB really equal to SISIP in ALL cases ???????? Empty Re: Is ELB really equal to SISIP in ALL cases ????????

Post by Guest Fri 09 Sep 2016, 17:50

your right lowboy it was absured idiotic in fact . the second they opened this up to PA vets they should have struck down that limit that really shouldn't have been there anyway .

propat

Back to top Go down

Is ELB really equal to SISIP in ALL cases ???????? Empty Re: Is ELB really equal to SISIP in ALL cases ????????

Post by LawnBoy77777 Fri 09 Sep 2016, 17:35

Propat, they made an absurd law for ELB in saying that there is a strict 120 day limit to apply BUT then they said the 120 day limit did not apply IF the Minister was satisfied with the reason that you did not apply within the 120 day limit.

I say it is absurd because the law contradicts itself. It also gives UNLIMITED discretion to the Minister but in reality this power is delegated downwards to the Case Manager. This means the law can lead to inconsistent results (Villani ONCA or SCC).

LawnBoy77777
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2015-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Sep 2016, 05:38

ya steelgunner I'm in the same boat as bigrex rehab and ELB years after release . yes I'm sure they did have a 120 day thing in the past or at least some time limit I defiantly recall that . thing is they either got rid of it or are not applying it .

it was still in place when I applied and they ignored it then .

thing is PA vets were not allowed this benefit and a few years down the road they were allowed witch kinda put the time limit rule into a precarious legal position .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Sep 2016, 22:32

Opps, I meant the rehab program deadline of 120 days. Got approved for the rehab program too.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 06 Sep 2016, 22:18

ELB can be applied for at any time. I applied, and was approved, for EELB in 2012, over 6 years after my medical release.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Sep 2016, 21:30

Well, in the mail today got a letter from VAC about my ELB application which was 9 months into my SSIP LTD.  well passed the 120 days deadline.  

I got approved with no hassle and took about 3 months.  So, hats off to VAC and no complaints here.

Point of my post, if anyone has been denied because of the 120 day deadline here is proof and ammo that they do.  I will now ask for 15% more in Oct on my SSIP LTD and if they saw no I will ask ELB to top me up that extra 15%

So anyone on just SSIP get your ELB application in now.

Back to top Go down

Post by LawnBoy77777 Thu 25 Aug 2016, 20:53

Lol so do I. I'm working hard on making SISIP go to 90%

LawnBoy77777
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifleman Thu 25 Aug 2016, 19:47

I sure hope you are WRONG!!!

Rifleman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by LawnBoy77777 Thu 25 Aug 2016, 18:01

SISIP = ELB (when they want it)

When the NVC was enacted, they copied SISIP LTD policy 901102 into law.

That meant they had to repeal NVC Regs s. 22(a) after Manuge won his' case!

SISIP & ELB are often said to be "mirrors."

In the SISIP settlement, DoJ lawyers used proxies to establish SISIP LTD to age 65 & ELB was one such proxy. EIA & CPPD were another 2.

There is a trend to de-link SISIP & ELB.

1. The 2011 ELB change in minimum. SISIP refused for 7 months. When they finally caved in, it was made retroactive but, I think, VAC had to pay for the increase;

2. Last year & the Res F equity fix I didn't get yet. SISIP refused to comply with the change in law;

3. I'll bet SISIP will not move to 90%.

LawnBoy77777
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv Tue 16 Aug 2016, 13:36

Thanks Trooper, this is very helpfull and very clear.
Cheers

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 299

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 16 Aug 2016, 12:51

Correct $6000 only if the $6000 does not take you over your (TOTAL) release salary, same goes for SISIP.

Definition - VRP Income Offset Formula for Employment Earnings (SISIP)
If a claimant earns income while participating in a VRP approved by the Insurer, the claimant's LTD benefit will be reduced by 50% of the gross employment income, or 50 cents for each dollar earned, until the member's total income from all sources reaches 100% of his monthly salary at release. In the case of a claimant who was on Class C service, the monthly pay in effect when the injury was incurred or the illness was contracted, adjusted to the present value by application of the Consumer Price Index (CPI) for each year benefits are payable. Thereafter, the claimant's benefit will be reduced by one dollar for each dollar earned.

How long can you be on rehab with SISIP?

SISIP LTD Vocational Rehabilitation Program.

Once former CAF members are approved in the program, the VRP will facilitate their return to gainful civilian employment through the enhancement of the former members' existing education, skills, training and experience. Since 1 Dec 99, eligible personnel who are released from the CAF for medical reasons are offered an initial period of a (maximum) of 30 months VRP; up to 6 consecutive months before their effective date of release and 24 consecutive months post-release. The effective date of release is the last day of paid service in the CAF and occurs after the completion of all retirement leave. The 30-month VRP period can be extended if the former member qualifies as totally disabled at the end of the post release 24-month period.

If the release is for other than medical reasons, and the former CAF member is totally disabled in accordance with the definition in the policy, then the member may qualify for VRP support. The terms "totally disabled" and "total disability" means that the member has been released from the CAF and that there is a clear and objective medical evidence, satisfactory to the Insurer, which confirms that the individual is incapacitated by an active, medically determinable physical or mental impairment which prevents the member from performing any and every duty of any substantially gainful occupation or employment for which the member is reasonably qualified by education, training or experience.

https://www.cfmws.com/en/aboutus/sisipfs/insurance/pages/vocational-rehabilitation-program.aspx

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 16 Aug 2016, 12:47

Czerv, with SISIP, it will likely end after the 24 months, unless you are deemed totally disabled, since I've only heard of a couple of cases where they approved a retraining program that is longer than 2 years. But unless you are taking part of an approved voc rehab program, AKA going to school to learn a new trade, they will deduct 100% of any employment income. And if they do deem you totally disabled, you cannot work, because as soon as you do, they will say that you no longer meet their criteria for continued benefits.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv Tue 16 Aug 2016, 11:46

Thanks Trooper, this helps. So, if I understand it correctly: my 5000 +2000 (at50%) would let me keep all together 6000?
How long can you stay on Rehab?  I just started my second year with SISIP LTD.
My CM is rather useless (and new at this).

Cheers

czerv
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 16 Aug 2016, 10:48

Others can jump in to correct OR agree with this reference I found ;

Earnings Loss Benefit - Determination of Variable “B”: Amounts from Prescribed Sources

Veterans’ Deductions

The following percentages of the APS listed in section 22 of the Canadian Forces Members and Veterans Re-establishment and Compensation Regulations (CFMVRCR) are to be considered when determining the amount of EL payable to a Veteran:
100% of the APS (a) through (f) listed in section 22 of the CFMVRCR;
100% of employment earnings payable while the Veteran is not participating in a rehabilitation plan or vocational assistance plan developed by the Minister; and,
50% of employment earnings payable while the Veteran is participating in a rehabilitation plan or vocational assistance plan developed by the Minister so long as:
the sum total of the earnings loss payable for a month, plus the monthly APS (a) through (f) listed in section 22 of the CFMVRCR; plus the total amount of employment earnings for a month, does not exceed the Veteran’s monthly imputed income;
any employment earnings that cannot be offset at 50% using the formula in (i) will be offset at 100%.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/1063#anchor48678

With respect to how long you can continue on ELB while working I'm going to say that once your Rehab is complete, you need to be deemed (TPI) in order to continue receiving benefits from the ELB.

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv Tue 16 Aug 2016, 08:54

I do not understand something here, I would appreciate explanation.
IF, let say I get 5000 for LTD/SISIP and move to ELB (VAC) and get a job that gets me 2000 a month (before taxes) how much would SISIP or VAC take from it? How much would I have left?
How long can one stay on LTD/ELB (+REHAB) while 'working'?
It is a complicated system for me.
Thank you.

czerv
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next