Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Treatment Benefits

5 posters

Go down

Treatment Benefits Empty Re: Treatment Benefits

Post by Vet1234 Thu 21 Sep 2017, 23:19

Nemo wrote:I became ill due to service in a SDA. I only had A coverage. I only got B when they provided me with some VIP coverage.

same here. also no call to explain it.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo Thu 21 Sep 2017, 12:51

In my case personally, my pensioned condition was deemed to have worsened in a SDA. However, despite being in a SDA, my medical coverage was only "A". Now maybe they made a mistake.... In any case, when they deemed I was eligible for funds for VIP, then they switched my medical coverage to "B" and I got complete coverage for everything including dental.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Taz Thu 21 Sep 2017, 09:47

So what I understand from below in the 'training' section is that if you are training to go to a SDA at your home base and are injured, you could get 'B' status even though you did not deploy to the SDA. Am I understanding this correctly?

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/1447#anchor59193

Special Duty Area and Special Duty Operation

While serving in an SDA or as part of an SDO, members are eligible under the Insurance Principle for:
  • service in the SDA/SDO;
  • travel to and from the SDA/SDO;
  • leave taken during service in the SDA/SDO, no matter where that leave is taken; and
  • time spent in the Third Location Decompression Program.

RCMP members may serve within a designated SDO in Canada without being deployed to the SDO. In these circumstances, the member continues in the performance of his or her regular peacetime duties and is covered pursuant to the Compensation Principle [subsection 21(2) of the Pension Act] for disability pension purposes.

Training

As of September 11, 2001, while participating in training for the express purpose of service in a specific SDA/SDO, members are eligible under the Insurance Principle for:       
  • time participating in the training;

• travel to and from the training; and
  • leave taken during the training, including programmed down-time (i.e., week-ends and afterhours).

Individuals are covered only during periods of training which are designated by the Department of National Defence (DND) as training for the express purpose of service in a specific SDA/SDO.

Only the periods of specially designated training periods, for a specific SDA/SDO are eligible for Insurance Principle coverage. Although members may consider themselves on pre-deployment training commencing the day they receive notification from DND informing them that they are to deploy until their actual deployment, this period of time is not entirely covered by the Insurance Principle.

Whether the training takes place on a member’s home base or away has no impact on whether the member is covered by the Insurance Principle or not. Specifically designated SDA/SDO training is covered whether it takes place at home or away.

Insurance Principle coverage includes the full 24 hour period, unless specific commencement and end times (hours) are provided by DND. If specific hours are provided, then individuals are covered by the Insurance Principle only during the specified hours.
Taz
Taz
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2017-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Sep 2017, 07:32

What is Group A & B From the VAC Health Care Identification Card?

If you have ‘A’ coverage:

• You qualify for treatment benefits to treat
    medical conditions related to the condition(s)
    for which you have been granted disability
    entitlement.

• You may receive these treatment benefits
    anywhere in or outside Canada.

• If you plan to travel outside of Canada,
    please contact us (see page 24) so that we
    can explain how to access any needed
    treatment benefits while you are away.

If you have ‘B’ coverage:

• You qualify for treatment benefits to treat any
    medical conditions providing you have a
    demonstrated health need.

• We would consider the benefit requested
    and any provincial/territorial or private health
    coverage you may be able to access.

• You can only access these treatment
    benefits within Canada.

• You must access coverage available from
    your provincial/territorial or private health
    care plan first. VAC may then cover amounts
    not already covered by these plans.

http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2016/acc-vac/V49-1-2013-eng.pdf

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo Thu 21 Sep 2017, 02:07

I became ill due to service in a SDA. I only had A coverage. I only got B when they provided me with some VIP coverage.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by BinRat Wed 20 Sep 2017, 23:47

Found this....

https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=115735.0

reply to post #18

I can shed some light on this topic. I am a 13 year medically released Veteran who ended up working for VAC as a CR4 post release. The A clients are those who have received a pension for an injury sustained in Canada. Example; a soldier is out in the field and falls off a vehicle injuring his back. He applies for a pension and it's granted, when he releases, be it an expiration of contract, retirement or medical, he will get a VAC card with A's under the benefits to which he is entitled. Those benefits will ONLY be for those related to his pensioned disability. There are 14 categories on the VAC card and he will have an 'A' under each number to which benefits he is entitled to coverage for. His file will indicate REG FORCE pension. This does NOT mean he is a Reg Force member, it simply means the pensioned condition was incurred in a non SDA. (Special Duty Area)

The B client is the tricky, and often cloudy one, but it is the Cadillac of benefits. You will NEVER see a card with a few sporadic B's on it. B's run the full 14 slots on the VAC card because the B client is entitled to VAC coverage on ALL benefits, regardless of his pensioned condition. The client MUST have at least ONE pensioned condition from an overseas injury. Example; A mechanic in Afghanistan is lifting a LAV wheel and ends up slipping a disc in his back. He applies for a pension and it is awarded. His file will denote that it is an SDA pension. Now, this does not mean when he releases, he will automatically get B client status. He will initially receive A client status for his pensioned condition. He then must apply for the VIP program and be granted benefits of the VIP program. If his application for the VIP program is because he needs help doing household chores and groundskeeping work at his home (shovelling/lawnmowing) because his back condition prevents him from doing these tasks, THEN, he will become a B client. VIP approval based off the SDA pensioned condition is what flips the A status to B status. This is the ONLY way a Veteran becomes a B client.

Now, as a B client, he is entitled to absolute coverage through VAC, even if it's not related to his pensioned condition. For example, our slipped disc mechanic ends up requiring hearing aids when he's 72 due to natural hearing loss, he can go to VAC to pay the $4,000.00 bill for 2 hearing aids, DESPITE the fact that he doesn't have a hearing loss pension because he's a B client. Any and all travel that he needs to take for any reason, he can submit health related travel claims to get reimbursed his gas mileage and meals (if he went over a designated meal time). The benefits available to the B client are long and extensive and I would end up writing a novel here. The short story is, the B coverage is the best VAC has to offer and there are specific requirements to kick that B coverage in.

A final note, an A client can still apply for the VIP program and get approval, it just won't kick in B coverage when he gets it. Our first example soldier who tweaked his back in the training area may not be able to do household chores and groundskeeping due to his injury, so he may still apply for, and get approved VIP benefits for housekeeping/groundskeeping. I hope this clears some of the muck for some people here.

BinRat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by RCN-Retired Wed 20 Sep 2017, 22:18

Yes and to be a B client one must have had served in a SDA and was injured while serving there. Just another way that VAC considers there are two classes of veteran, simply amazing and a $$ decision.
RCN-Retired
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2012-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Sep 2017, 16:15

Taz wrote:Hi all... I was just wondering; what is the difference of 'A' group and 'B' group for the Blue Cross VAC treatment benefits? How does one become a member of either group and what would be the steps. I cannot find definitive information anywhere. Which group is better... or even better, what are the pros and cons of each group. I hope someone can help me. Very confused here. Thanks!!

Clients must have a VAC Health Care Identification Card on which an "A" and/or "B" is indicated under the heading "Program Number 10."

• Group A clients may only use their card to obtain benefits directly related to the treatment of their VAC pensioned medical condition.

• Group B clients are eligible for approved benefits providing they have a clearly demonstrated health need and the benefits are not available to them under a provincial health plan.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/health/treatment-benefits/poc/poc10

What Clients Should Know

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/health/treatment-benefits/poc/poc10/poc10b

Back to top Go down

Post by Taz Wed 20 Sep 2017, 16:03

Hi all... I was just wondering; what is the difference of 'A' group and 'B' group for the Blue Cross VAC treatment benefits? How does one become a member of either group and what would be the steps. I cannot find definitive information anywhere. Which group is better... or even better, what are the pros and cons of each group. I hope someone can help me. Very confused here. Thanks!!
Taz
Taz
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2017-03-06

Back to top Go down

Treatment Benefits Empty Treatment Benefits

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jan 2017, 18:37

Health Care Benefits (Treatment Benefits)

We provide financial support to qualified Veterans for the health-care services or benefits available through the 14 Programs of Choice: http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/health/treatment-benefits/poc

We may also reimburse expenses incurred if you have to travel to receive treatment benefits and services: http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/health/treatment-benefits/tb-coverage-travel

Do I Qualify?

You may qualify to receive financial support for treatment benefits, if you are:

in receipt of a disability benefit;
in receipt of services through the Veterans Independence Program;
in receipt of financial assistance through the Long Term Care program; or
in receipt of the War Veterans Allowance.

Information for still-serving regular members of the Canadian Armed Forces (excluding Reservists) and the RCMP (excluding civilian members) who have a VAC disability benefit.

Any treatment benefits you require for your disability will be provided through your home organization until you have released from service.

Releasing Canadian Armed Forces members –
please ensure your discharge date/documentation has been provided to your Canadian Forces Health Services Centre (CF H Svcs C) so they may update their system. Incorrect release date information may impact your eligibility to access VAC’s treatment benefits.

Releasing RCMP members –
please notify your local VAC Area office of your discharge date. If you are unsure which office is nearest to you, please contact us: http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/contact

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/health/treatment-benefits

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down