Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PIA Appeal?

2 posters

Go down

PIA Appeal? Empty Re: PIA Appeal?

Post by pinger Sat 25 Feb 2017, 22:17

Hi Blink and welcome to csat.
When my pia was denied, I re-approached it with snail mail.

Artie wrote " So what would one write in "requesting a review" other than I disagree . . . .  ? "
Re-articulate it. And supply most current med docs relevant like a o/t report, a dr.'s nurses, anything med relevant to your sit.

I also sent along what I had previously. Think it was a re-assessment. Can't remember.

Stay very well all
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 Feb 2017, 01:04

Vet1234 wrote:I see the option there...
Just took a look at my first denial and it said I had 60 days to request a review in writing...
The issue I see with asking for a review through MyVac is that there is no place for someone to give their reasons for review.  That being said, a Vet would atleast initiate the process instead of waiting for a CM or the Ombudsman or VRAB to get around to looking at the case.
To answer your question Blink, I guess someone could just check that box.  Not sure why they tell us to request a review in writing on the decision letter if that is an option.
So what would one write in "requesting a review" other than I disagree with your decision ? If your PIA claim was denied by VAC and you wanted reviewed who would look at it the 2nd time round?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Feb 2017, 21:24

Thanks ....Vet 1234 !

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Mon 20 Feb 2017, 21:19

I see the option there...
Just took a look at my first denial and it said I had 60 days to request a review in writing...
The issue I see with asking for a review through MyVac is that there is no place for someone to give their reasons for review. That being said, a Vet would atleast initiate the process instead of waiting for a CM or the Ombudsman or VRAB to get around to looking at the case.
To answer your question Blink, I guess someone could just check that box. Not sure why they tell us to request a review in writing on the decision letter if that is an option.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Feb 2017, 20:47

Check out form  VAC608A

Do you wish to apply for Permanent Impairment Allowance?*
First application

Reassessment

Review of decision

Why Cant we check off "Review of Decision"  rather than request a  review in writing?

You can view it on My Vac account under forms Application for PIA

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Sun 19 Feb 2017, 22:19

All that being said. Mental health is a legitimate reason for missing deadlines on appeals.
We should be able to have someone we trust and that understands eligibility and the policies and process that is specifically there to help us.
Case managers are not those ppl.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Sun 19 Feb 2017, 22:13

Exactly! That's the deficit. Just like " all the benefits are online" or you have 60 days to appeal...
Tell that to the Vet with chronic distrust for the government and documented avoidance issues.
The best one.... "your case manager is there to help get you the benefits "
Bahaha
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Feb 2017, 22:02

Vet1234 wrote:You need to appeal in writing.  I tried to appeal through MyVac and was told it needed to be in writing.
You can however re-apply after 60 days through MyVac.
if someone is PI mentally, how sound is there written appeal going to be.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Feb 2017, 19:01

Thanks !

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Feb 2017, 18:22

Blink,

If you want to appeal your PIA you can ask for a departmental review which needs to be done in writing, or go through VRAB.

If you do not agree with the Departmental decision made regarding your application for disability benefits, you may request a Departmental review or or appeal the decision to the Veterans Review and Appeal Board (VRAB). http://www.vrab-tacra.gc.ca/Home-accueil-eng.cfm

The Veterans Review and Appeal Board is the independent tribunal that offers an avenue of appeal for Departmental decisions on disability benefits. In order to ensure a fair appeal process, the Board is an entirely separate and independent organization from Veterans Affairs Canada (the Department).

If you are dissatisfied with your Departmental decision, you can contact the Bureau of Pensions Advocates (BPA) http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/organization/bureau-pensions-advocates which provides free legal assistance. The BPA has offices across Canada staffed by experienced lawyers who have the responsibility to represent applicants before the Veterans Review and Appeal Board.

Veterans' organizations such as the Royal Canadian Legion also provide assistance, free of charge, in preparing your review or appeal.

Options for review or appeal include:
A Departmental Review
This option gives you the opportunity to provide any important new evidence in support of your application and have your claim reviewed again by VAC.

Veterans Review and Appeal Board

Review Hearing
The Review Hearing is the only time in the process when you may appear before decision-makers and testify regarding the facts of your case. During the hearing, Board members listen to your testimony and to the arguments made by your representative, and ask questions to clarify all the details of your application. Review Hearings are normally conducted by two Board members, and take place at approximately 23 locations across Canada (your travel expenses will be covered by Veterans Affairs Canada). The Board also offers Review Hearings by teleconference and video conference.

Appeal Hearing
If you are dissatisfied with your VRAB Review decision, you can request an Appeal hearing. An Appeal hearing is a further opportunity for your representative to make oral and/or written arguments in support of your case. The legislation does not permit oral testimony at this level.

Three Board Members who were not involved in the Review Hearing conduct the Appeal Hearing. Appeal Hearings are usually held at the Board's Head Office in Charlottetown as well as by teleconference.

You can also do what Vet1234 suggested, re-apply in 60 days.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/after-injury/disability-benefits/reviews-appeals

Back to top Go down

PIA Appeal? Empty PIA Appeal?

Post by Vet1234 Sun 19 Feb 2017, 17:52

You need to appeal in writing. I tried to appeal through MyVac and was told it needed to be in writing.
You can however re-apply after 60 days through MyVac.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Feb 2017, 17:24

It i want to appeal a declined PIA ...they say i have to do it in writing can it be done via "my Vac " account?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum