Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-establish lifelong pensions as an option for our injured veterans?

+3
johnny211
Teager
Nemo
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re-establish lifelong pensions as an option for our injured veterans? - Page 2 Empty Re-establish lifelong pensions as an option for our injured veterans?

Post by Guest Thu 02 Mar 2017, 17:30

I'm astounded to see the lack of push by advocates regarding the lifelong pension.

The Minister is asking for patience, I don't think it's fair to ask for patience when this particular promise was the backbone in all of the promises made by the Liberals to Veterans during their campaign.

Will it be announced in this budget? Will it be a lifelong pension that is taxed? Will they change the Permanent Impairment Allowance (PIA) to Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and state that the CIA is much easier to qualify for and it is for life, therefore making the (CIA) the promised lifelong pension?
What is the plan if it is not announced this year? What is the plan if it is announced and holds little, to no merits?

Remember one thing, neither Kent Hehr, or Justin Trudeau will have anything to do with how this lifelong pension will unfold, if the bureaucrats say it is complicated, and they need more time, they will get more time.
Make no mistake, the lifelong pension is in the hands of the bureaucrats.

Also, we need to understand that the list of promises made by the Liberals is to be legislated by the bureaucrats, as long as the promises are made within their 4 year term, they, the Liberals have met their end of the promises to Veterans. A lifelong pension can mean anything, whether it holds any merits or not remains to be seen.
I'm almost certain that anything that comes from the bureaucrats will reflect the long term interest of the bureaucrats themselves.

I also think that the increase in the ELB is for sure a welcome improvement, but I also see that it is taxed, and it is a fix of a gap within many gaps to be fixed, it is not a significant improvement in terms of the overall Charter.
The offices should have never been implemented over the lifelong pension, this came from the Legion and Ron Clarke. The re opening of these offices created jobs and put a big stamp on the governments PR machine.
The upcoming disability award supplementary payment, retro, is another welcome improvement, but again, it is just another fix of a gap within many gaps to be fixed, I'm concerned that they waited a year to pay this out, and I'm also concerned that this is coming ahead of the lifelong pension.

You can see where I posted the other day of the Veterans funding increase for 2017. Going to $1.5 billion from $659.9 million, a 29.3 per cent increase.
This does not mean that this money will be spent, it is just a forecast figure, it could not be used at all, we will see.

I have written this today to keep the promise by the Liberals to implement a lifelong pension alive, this particular topic lifelong pension seems to have faded in interest as of late.

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2