Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Veterans affairs minister urges patience on pensions for injured ex-soldiers

3 posters

Go down

Veterans affairs minister urges patience on pensions for injured ex-soldiers Empty Re: Veterans affairs minister urges patience on pensions for injured ex-soldiers

Post by Guest Thu 13 Jul 2017, 15:44

Interesting comments:

Ryan Canning
I want to start off by saying I've had mostly positive experiences with VAC BUT I'm appealing a decision and they said the appeal should only take 12 weeks but they're back logged by a year. That is unreasonable.

Also, what the hell is the Minister wearing? Did question period interupt his steamroom time? Representing Veteran's doesn't warrant wearing a shirt and tie??
Like · Reply · Jul 9, 2017 10:02am

Tim Dobranski
That would be wardrobe which would be worn so as the person confined to a wheel chair can be somewhat independent and comfortable.

Also, I just received a reply to a level one appeal which took 12 weeks. So I really find it difficult to believe they are back logged by a year....... Wink

Questioning his choice of wardrobe does not enhance your arguement in any way. Wink
Like · Reply · Jul 11, 2017 6:41pm

Ryan Canning
Tim Dobranski I wasn't using the wardrobe to enhance my point, they were two independant thoughts. As far as it's comfortable for him, I have seen plenty of pictures of him wearing a suit and tie and I doubt those meetings were as important as representing Veteran's in the House of Commons.
Like · Reply · Jul 11, 2017 6:42pm

Barb Foster
Sure... they need patience while billions of dollars leave Canada and a final kick in the nuts is a 10.5 million dollar payout to a convicted terrorist . Hehr, Trudeau and the rest of the Liberal Govt need to be sent packing. The sooner, the better. 😡
Like · Reply · 2 · Jul 7, 2017 8:05pm

Thomas Frost
This is what we get when all these different Veteran Groups campainged for the Liberal Party. Some people were blinded by the great smile of JT.
Like · Reply · 1 · Jul 7, 2017 9:29am

Brenda Broley Cook
Maybe Omar Khadr can loan these Vets a few hundred thousand?? Seems like the liberals had no problem getting his cheque to him yesterday. Hypocritical anti Canadian government that they are.
Like · Reply · 8 · Jul 7, 2017 9:15am

Shane Jones
These clowns will be voted out,that's a promise,and for the record you idiot,it was never an "option" during your campaign,the Liberals promised to re-establish life long pensions and not as an option because that would require a cap where the old monthly pension never did,it's for life then it goes to your wife/children,this new bs option is just another way to save money,I guess they got a new 10.5 million dollar bill to pay before taking care of our veterans.
Like · Reply · 4 · Jul 6, 2017 3:34pm

Barbara Outhouse · Burridge Community College
remember at election time. I pray this clown and his show are gone.
Like · Reply · 2 · Jul 7, 2017 6:51am

Jeremy Lesser · Mechanic at Department of National Defense, 1 Svc Bn
How much patience do we need to have. Right now VAC is processing claims from June 2016. 1 year backlog. And November 2016 for reassessments.
Like · Reply · Jul 6, 2017 3:19pm

Lynn McAllister · St. Lawrence College, Ontario
Harper took away the pensions and implemented the lump sum payment. It Shouldn't have taken this long to fix this affront to injured veterans. There is probably a big mess trying to sort out what to do with the ones who had no option but take the lump sum, but two years is excessive.
Like · Reply · Jul 6, 2017 2:14pm

Lloyd Ryan · Calgary, Alberta
The New Veterans Charter came into effect as a result of a House of Commons All Parties Committee who studied whether Veterans were being treated fairly during the Paul Martin Days. It has been under review for many many years. If you think Harper screwed it up you would be naive. If you think it can be fixed in less than 2 years ....... that would only prove the point Even the Liberals who lied about giving our Veterans a better deal in 2015 are now starting to face the reality of how difficult a task that is.

Lloyd Ryan remember all this at election time. I pray this clown and his show are gone.

Lloyd Ryan Harper came into power in 2006 and chose not to fix or repeal this so yes I blame him. He had 8 years to fix this and chose not to. While governments stall and dither on changes, veterans are suffering and that is deplorable.
Like · Reply · Jul 7, 2017 6:53am

Lynn McAllister Nay! I say Nay! Verily I say unto Thee - the new kid on the block (who just wasn't ready in 2015) has had over 1-1/2 years to fix this and he hasn't done it even though he swore a promise to suffering Veterans that he was going to. He made that promise in order to gain votes from our Veterans. He duped many of them along with millions of Canadians east of Manitoba with his REAL CHANGE! BS. Note that he didn't promote REAL GOOD CHANGE! If you need someone to blame get with the times and blame TruDOUGH! Harping about Harper now is an indicator that you are living in the past.
Like · Reply · Jul 7, 2017 10:50am

Lloyd Ryan Harper had 8 years to fix this Trudeau 1.5 years, both governments have let down our vets.
Like · Reply · Jul 7, 2017 10:56am

Tim Dobranski
Lynn McAllister: But it was the Chretien/Martin lieberals that drew up the NVC in 2004-05 and forced Harper to pass it when Harper had a minority government in 2006, and Harper kept his promise to review and make improvements every two years. Were the changes enough? no, but there was a recession Harper had to deal with, where-as boy blunder has spent and wasted far more on everything but veterans and Canadians with no recession.
Like · Reply · 2 · Jul 7, 2017 3:57pm

Tim Dobranski thank you for supporting my comment that both liberals and conservatives are to blame for this.
Like · Reply · Jul 7, 2017 4:03pm

Tim Dobranski Nice summation Tim. The Lieberals now have a quandry. They masterminded the NVC and as you commented forced Harper to enact it in 2006. Harper subsequently 'tweaked' it but did not engage of a major overhaul of it which has made some people affected by that or not unhappy. The Lieberals now need to deal with how to change the NVC without making it look like they messed it up in the first place. Boy Blunder painted himself into a corner with the promise to revamp the NVC. Either he points to the incompetence of the Comedy Team of Chretien and Martin and he issues an apology to Canadians and our Veterans and ponies up big money to improve things or he brings in some of his own 'tweaks' and claims he solved the whole thing while staging a photo op with his incompetent Veterans Affairs Minister later this year. Anyone who thinks there will be major improvements were probably stupid enough to vote for this Lieberal Government in 2015. I'm betting he is going to praise the NVC and 'tweak' it and hope the mess is forgotten by the angry mob by 2019. As a value added bonus he will claim his 'tweaks' should have been enacted by Harper and his adoring fans will sing his praises.
Like · Reply · Jul 7, 2017 4:37pm

Tim Dobranski
Lynn McAllister: You may believe you give "blame" to both, but your posts do not indicate what you believe as they are factually wrong as PM Harper did not take away pensions and he still made improvements knowing Canada was in a global recession at the time.

NVC 2005 written by Chretien/Martin liberals was the vessel which removed pensions. Also PM Harper followed recommendations every two years which focused more to improve the services and treatments of Veterans rather than just direct payments to veterans.

The only thing any lieberal has done recently with veterans is to try to buy votes with pittance payments, and major promises that they have reneged on time and again.

So the actual fact is I found your posts to be nonfactual, naive, and typical of a Lie Minister Boy Blunder supporter. Wink
Like · Reply · Jul 11, 2017 6:32pm · Edited

Kevin Scott · Works at Starbucks
I guess the injured solders need Khadr's lawyers in their negotiations with Hehr. That way, each will get a quick 10 million.
Like · Reply · 14 · Jul 6, 2017 11:17am

Remember all this at election time. I pray this clown and his show are gone.
Like · Reply · 1 · Jul 7, 2017 6:53am

Dwight Steen
Not sure how this idiot from calgary got elected
Like · Reply · 6 · Jul 6, 2017 8:17am

Michael Cook · Chef de cuisine at The Edge Wine Bar and Grille
true, and whats with what hes wearing ...doesnt seem appropriate for the house
Like · Reply · 1 · Jul 7, 2017 9:09am

Tim Dobranski
Veterans have been waiting since 2005 when the lieberals took away the pensions in the 2005 NVC. So how about an apology and compensation from Canadian politicians not helping Veterans for the last 12 years. Wink

Yes longer than it took lieberals to determine a terrorist should be paid $10.5 Mil for killing a military medic, and longer than it took Lie Minister Bimbo Boy Blunder to evade questions on the payment he will give the terrorist without appeal.

BTW, even though Lie Minister Bimbo Boy Blunder chastised previous governments because Veterans had to go to court for benefits, and for previous governments saying they were not morally responsible for veterans, and he used both those events by promising he will take care of veterans to get the veteran votes........he has made the veterans reopen their case which costed veterans more, and told them his government was not morally responsible, and broke his promise that veterans would have life long pensions before the end of the fiscal term 30 Mar 2016......so are we to believe the lieberals now? More lies.....and I won't be doing Lie Ministers Bimbo Boy Blunders approved blunts, so I will remember all these lies, gaffes, and corruption in 2019. Wink
Like · Reply · 12 · Jul 11, 2017 6:22pm · Edited

TruDOUGH! has a lie bucket in his office and it is almost full. He not only promised our Veterans a fair deal but he also promised (among many other things) to build a strong new relationship with the FN's. How's that working for them? Electoral Reform? That was another whopper that's also in his lie bucket along with keeping Federal Deficits to $10 Billion a year and stimulating the economy with infrastructure spending. I could go on but the list is long and recent comments that we can trust Trump when it comes to renegotiating NAFTA show what a complete idiot is really is.
Like · Reply · Jul 6, 2017 7:00pm

Like · Reply · 1 · Jul 7, 2017 6:54am

Ian Prest
withhold all liberal pay cheques and pensions until pay system is fixed and all back pay is paid up and vets get their pensions
Like · Reply · 6 · Jul 6, 2017 12:26am

Gerald Andries · Calgary, Alberta
Ian,
All politicians are crooks.
Like · Reply · Jul 6, 2017 9:54pm

Heather Straga
I am sure you corrupt politians get your pay cheque......these veterans deserve thier money NOW!!!
Like · Reply · 2 · Jul 5, 2017 9:51pm

Mickey Andres
Useless bunch with screwed up priorities.
Like · Reply · 3 · Jul 5, 2017 8:10pm

Trent Jeffries
Pathetic minister in waaaaay over his head
Like · Reply · 5 · Jul 5, 2017 6:23pm

Like · Reply · Jul 7, 2017 6:56am

Krishna Bains
You paid OMar Khadr $10.5 million, yet you can't come up with Canadian veterans' pensions? Your priorities are totally screwed up.
Like · Reply · 25 · Jul 5, 2017 5:31pm

Tim Patrie · Edmonton, Alberta
Yes, screw the veterans, but ok to give $10mil+ to a "terrosist". Yep sounds about "right". But it is beginning to looks like are men and women in the armed forces are fighting on the wrong side. Sad

Like · Reply · 2 · Jul 7, 2017 6:56am

http://globalnews.ca/news/3578141/veterans-affairs-minister-urges-patience-on-pensions-for-injured-ex-soldiers/

Back to top Go down

Veterans affairs minister urges patience on pensions for injured ex-soldiers Empty Re: Veterans affairs minister urges patience on pensions for injured ex-soldiers

Post by pinger Fri 07 Jul 2017, 14:36

Pretty well said Trooper.

Here's my small rephrase...

"I don't know of any one individual (insert puppet here) who would do things differently
given the job of Minister of Veterans Affairs, this seems to be the way the job flows..."

Might I add, irregardless of any party that is governing.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Jul 2017, 06:35

Have patience, the bureaucrats are not yet ready to release the so called promise made by the Liberals to return Lifelong pensions.

What will be implemented or brought forward will obviously be a disappointment to the whole Veteran disabled community. However, this disappointment will be challenged by Hehr with all his other so called implementations he will show as a point of what has been done to better Veterans and their families thus far.

Hehr has no clue on options or the lifelong pension, he will sign on anything his bureaucratic team brings forward, in the meantime Hehr will continue to shine as Minister regardless of negativity written about him in the media.

I don't know of any one individual who would do things differently given the job of Minister of Veterans Affairs, this seems to be the way the job flows given the bureaucrats the full range of power in implementing what they see fit, the Minister just signs off on what they bring forward.

I can't wait to see this so called lifelong pension implementation, there was only one lifelong pension to reinstate, and there's no way they will reinstate that pension as promised by our Prime Minister, so to me what will be brought forward will not be worth the paper it's written on, it will be a huge disappointment to all those hoping for a secured lifelong pension as was given to those prior to 2006.

Yes it is sad, and it certainly shows the true colors of those responsible for the well being of injured Canadian Veterans. The government is real good at screwing over it's Veterans, the new charter has done just that, the charter has screwed over all disabled Veterans 2006 onwards, I just hope they don't succeed in fooling everyone, they maybe able to get away with it, but they will not be able to fool everyone.

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv Thu 06 Jul 2017, 20:27

“We’re committed to a pension-for-life OPTION for our veterans,” Kent Hehr.
He/Hehr still speaks about 'option'. I guess, once you get your lump sum, you are out of 'options'.

Bastardes.

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Thu 06 Jul 2017, 10:42

Pinger that is the best statement on this issue. BZ!
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Wed 05 Jul 2017, 21:33

With all proper due respect... ABSOLUTE BULL - SHYTE !

Nuff said. Hope that's okee-dokee.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Veterans affairs minister urges patience on pensions for injured ex-soldiers Empty Veterans affairs minister urges patience on pensions for injured ex-soldiers

Post by Guest Wed 05 Jul 2017, 19:20

Veterans affairs minister urges patience on pensions for injured ex-soldiers

July 5, 2017

CALGARY — Canada’s veterans affairs minister is urging patience from injured ex-soldiers growing frustrated waiting for a government plan that would give them pensions for life.

The Liberal government promised in the budget it would announce plans by the end of this year for the option of life-long pensions for those injured in uniform.

The Liberals were the only party to promise to re-introduce the pensions, which were replaced by a lump-sum payment, career training and targeted income-replacement programs in 2006.

“We’re committed to a pension-for-life option for our veterans,” Kent Hehr, minister of veterans affairs and associate minister of national defence, said in an interview with the Canadian Press Monday. “They’ve asked for this. We’ve committed to this.”

Hehr declined to discuss what progress has been made so far but said he understands why many injured Canadian Armed Forces members are frustrated by the delay.

“They really deserve our support,” Hehr said. “When they leave the military as the result of illness or injury, that is tremendously hard and they’ve had to take off that jersey for the last time.

“I understand their frustration and that’s why we want to work with them to better outcomes for them and their families … My goodness, it’s going to be done.”

There have been complaints from some ill and injured military personnel who say they were forced out of the Armed Forces too fast and left to fend for themselves.

That includes having to wait months for their first pension cheques to arrive, and struggling to get the benefits and services owed them by Veterans Affairs.

Approximately 1,800 service members are forced out of the military every year because of medical conditions that have made them unable to fulfil their duties.

Many are struggling with psychological injuries sustained while in uniform. Documents obtained by The Canadian Press last year showed post-traumatic stress disorder was the top diagnosis for those at risk of being forced out.

Veterans’ advocates say the challenges many of those men and women have faced getting benefits, services and even their pension after leaving the military have made their move to civilian life even harder.

http://nationalpost.com/g00/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/veterans-affairs-minister-urges-patience-on-pensions-for-injured-ex-soldiers/wcm/49c2615f-8f5d-423f-8d0e-ad04c5a5479c?i10c.referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.ca%2F

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down