Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Budget 2017 - And VAC Part in it -

+13
prawnstar
pinger
bigthree
Willie
BinRat
bosn181
Iceman
Vet1234
Bigbrook
Rifleman
EZRider
johnny211
17 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Budget 2017 - And VAC Part in it -  - Page 6 Empty Re: Budget 2017 - And VAC Part in it -

Post by Guest Wed 22 Mar 2017, 19:15

My original DA in 2008 10% and 25% in 2009  I didn't have the choice to spread payments out.  I received 10% and 15% some months later. Both deposited in full.  My reassessment in 2016 of 15% I had the option.

There's no spreading those payments out.

Back to top Go down

Budget 2017 - And VAC Part in it -  - Page 6 Empty Federal Budget 2017: Life-Long Pensions For Veterans Not Included In Government's Second Budget

Post by Guest Wed 22 Mar 2017, 19:14

Federal Budget 2017: Life-Long Pensions For Veterans Not Included In Government's Second Budget

By Lee Berthiaume, The Canadian Press

March 22, 2017

OTTAWA — The Liberals checked off many of their remaining promises to veterans in Wednesday's federal budget, but left one big priority marked incomplete: giving injured ex-soldiers pensions for life.

Finance Minister Bill Morneau's new fiscal plan called for $725 million in additional benefits for injured veterans and their families over five years, which will be doled out in a variety of ways.

They include up to $80,000 to long-serving veterans who leave the military and want to go back to school, as well as a new program that will offer job-coaching and other assistance obtaining a civilian job.

The budget also expands the financial benefits available to family members and others caring for disabled veterans, while making it easier for them to also access career training and counselling services.

Funding is also being set aside for organizations that do research on veterans issues, and for the creation of an emergency fund for the veterans affairs minister to dole out in urgent cases.

Yet as welcome as the new money will be, the big question for many veterans will be how the government plans to bring back life-long pensions as an option for those injured in uniform.

The Liberals were the only party to promise in the election to re-introduce the pensions, which were replaced by a lump-sum payment, career training and targeted income-replacement programs in 2006.

While the budget says progress has been made, and further details will be announced by the end of the year, it also sends a strong signal that the old pension system won't be coming back.

Compensation lower than U.K.

Officials insisted no decision has been made, but the budget suggests that the lump-sum payment, known as the disability award, could simply end up being spread out through monthly payments for life.

The lump-sum's value varies depending on the extent of a veteran's disability, with the maximum amount being $360,000, plus additional income replacement for those who can't work.

That is less than the compensation offered by other countries such as the United Kingdom, where the amount is closer to $1 million.

A move to simply breaking up the disability award sets up a potential battle with those who counted on, and even campaigned for, the Liberals on the assumption the government would return to the old system.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/03/22/federal-budget-2017-lifel_n_15548534.html

Last edited by Trooper on Wed 22 Mar 2017, 19:16; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Budget 2017 - And VAC Part in it -  - Page 6 Empty Re: Budget 2017 - And VAC Part in it -

Post by bigthree Wed 22 Mar 2017, 19:11

Yeah, the monthly payment option has been available probably since the NVC was established, wait and see yet again

bigthree
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2017-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Willie Wed 22 Mar 2017, 19:01

As a veteran and now a parent of a son who is about to join the Canadian Armed Forces, I am proud but I am also very disillusioned with the budget and what it will mean for the next generation of soldiers. Obviously there is tangible improvements in some areas but the failing to reinstate the PA is a paramount failure.

Willie
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2017-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Wed 22 Mar 2017, 18:46

Looks like the Caregiver allowance is going up, but vocational training is getting slashed for people with under 12 years service.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Mar 2017, 18:45

I agree, as it stands you can choose to take your award in Monthly payments.

I think the difference would be for an example a 40 year old Veteran is approved for a lump sum of $180,000, in today's option, if he chooses to take it in Monthly installments, this is $1,250 a Month, $15,000 a year for 12 years. So this Veteran would be 52 when he runs out of funds from his award.

With the new suggested system of lifetime pension, if he were to choose Monthly installments for life, and he lives to 80, he gets an extra $420,000?

Does this sound to good to be true?

OR

Are they going to reduce the amount of Monthly installments, if they choose to go for life, making the difference in the above example, much less than $420,000.

I'm guessing it's going to be the reduced method of Monthly payments, if indeed that's what their going to do.

I don't think a formula would be difficult to obtain for those who already received an award if the details of the pension itself is known.

What a mess!

Back to top Go down

Post by BinRat Wed 22 Mar 2017, 17:55

Well they have that now taking the lump sum in monthly payments v lump sum

But how can they figure it out as to how much per month to say it's a lifetime pension.

As an example I get a 20% award now and go okay I'll take it for life, how are they gonna do a
monthly payment for life since that can not be determined.

So I dunno what crap they are spewing out as lump sum monthly payments are all ready available.

BinRat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by 6608 Wed 22 Mar 2017, 17:46

Also remember this CBC article that was posted by bruce72 in the other thread for the lifetime pensions what the government sources said.

"But the government sources who spoke on condition of anonymity told CBC News the intention is roll out the revised pension plan later this year in order to begin issuing cheques to veterans by 2018 — a year ahead of the next election call."

Devil in the details

A spokesman for Canadian Veterans Advocacy, Sylvain Chartrand, was skeptical.

"We can't be happy until we see the numbers," he said. "We need to know the numbers, 'cause the details are in the numbers. This will tell us exactly what type of return to the pension it's going to be."

One of the demands from veterans groups is that the revised plan reflect the generosity of the previous system under the old pension act.Parity is unlikely to happen, said the sources.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/vets-lifetime-pensions-1.4030353

Cheers
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 337
Registration date : 2012-06-23

Back to top Go down

Budget 2017 - And VAC Part in it -  - Page 6 Empty Budget 2017 - And VAC Part in it -

Post by Bigbrook Wed 22 Mar 2017, 17:42

545.00 a month should look after your car payment and a case of beer but as 100% disability what is left to live on ? Oh Wait!!! at 65 you will get the old age pension so surely you can get through 35 years at 545.00 a month !. You know who probably spends that much a month on his hair.

Bigbrook
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2017-03-03

Back to top Go down

Budget 2017 - And VAC Part in it -  - Page 6 Empty care giver

Post by bosn181 Wed 22 Mar 2017, 17:40

Caregiver Recognition Benefit

Informal caregivers—who are often family members—play an integral and irreplaceable role in supporting ill and injured veterans after they leave service. Yet the sacrifices informal caregivers make for their loved ones are not being properly recognized.

Budget 2017 proposes to amend legislation and invest $187.3 million over six years, starting in 2016–17, and $9.5 million per year ongoing, to create the Caregiver Recognition Benefit for modern-day veterans. This benefit would replace the existing Family Caregiver Relief Benefit and would provide a more generous non-taxable $1,000 monthly benefit payable directly to caregivers to better recognize and honour the vital role they play.

bosn181
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2017-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Wed 22 Mar 2017, 17:23

hmmm.... 100% at 360,000 for a 30 year old, with a lifetime estimate of 85 (55 years) = 545 / month

Iceman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2016-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Wed 22 Mar 2017, 17:19

the text is a little messed up. here is the paragraph

Further Enhancing Lifelong Financial Support for Our Ill and Injured Veterans

Budget 2016 took an important step to significantly boost the Disability Award, the Earnings Loss Benefit and the Permanent Impairment Allowance for veterans—as recommended by the Veterans Ombudsman. Nevertheless, the financial supports for disabled veterans remain unnecessarily complex. Canada's veterans deserve a simple, straightforward and understandable benefits system that better meets their needs.

The Government of Canada will take further action to simplify these programs to better meet the needs of veterans. Specifically, the Government will move forward with its plan to fulfill its commitment to re-establish lifelong pensions as an option for injured veterans. This will provide an option for injured veterans to receive their Disability Award through a monthly payment for life, rather than in a one-time payment. This change to the Disability Award is something that the veterans' community has long advocated for and the Government remains committed to delivering. The Government has made considerable progress in its work to develop the pension for life option and will announce further details this year.

Moving forward, the Government will continue to work with the veterans' community to examine the best way to streamline and simplify the system of financial support programs currently offered to veterans.

Iceman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2016-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Wed 22 Mar 2017, 17:12

disability award spread out over a lifetime is the new "option"
fail
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigbrook Wed 22 Mar 2017, 17:11

How do we like the liberals and their broken election promises on life time pension reform ?????Our PM never had any intentions of following through.....But as they say "he has nice hair"!!!!!

Bigbrook
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2017-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Mar 2017, 17:06

Wow, I am shocked! What a shyte deal for veterans regarding the life long pension. Like I said the PA is dead. The disability award will be split into payments lasting for life??????????????? What a raw raw deal. But remember this isn't just a liberal idea , all parties including the ndp didn't want the PA brought back. That's life . If you get the PA your lucky and just in the right place in time. These benefits that are happening now post 2006 are pretty much what's going to stay. Sad but true. The education plan is pretty good thou but I feel terrible , I really really wanted to believe this was going to be the end of all the fighting and finally a very good fix was coming. Shock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next