Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Formal petition for Veteran's ID cards

+3
Loader
Iceman
Dannypaj
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Formal petition for Veteran's ID cards Empty Government response tabled on January 29, 2018 (Sessional Paper No. 8545-421-03)

Post by mcagirouard Tue 20 Feb 2018, 18:10

mcagirouard
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2017-12-15

Back to top Go down

Formal petition for Veteran's ID cards Empty Re: Formal petition for Veteran's ID cards

Post by pinger Thu 23 Nov 2017, 18:24

Perhaps more of you got an email from the HoC regarding that e-1140 petition for a Veterans ID card.

" This is to inform you that petition e-1140, which you signed on the e-petitions website of the House of Commons, was presented in the House of Commons on November 22, 2017. You will be notified once a government response has been tabled. "

Province / Territory Total Signatures: 1,725
Alberta 156
British Columbia 183
Manitoba 31
New Brunswick 71
Newfoundland and Labrador 48
Northwest Territories 4
Nova Scotia 485
Nunavut 1
Ontario 465
Prince Edward Island 16
Quebec 223
Saskatchewan 28
Other Countries 14
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Formal petition for Veteran's ID cards Empty Re: Formal petition for Veteran's ID cards

Post by Guest Tue 27 Jun 2017, 17:57

I used VAC card for Motels and staying on Americian bases. It is getting harder in the USA and in many cases its cheaper STAYING at  local motels than staying on a base. Home Dept USA has stopped giving discounts to non american veterans. In Canada you continue to get discounts at major motels/hotels as a Vet ..   It used to be a Big Deal but CAA is just as good as the miltary discounts.... Sad
The best discounts now are availiable by doing a GOOGLE SEARCH FOR THE BEST DEALS IN YOUR HOME PRIOR TO LEAVING OR IN THE HOTEL LOBBY OR COFFEE SHOP PARKING LOT prior to entering the business!  LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Tue 27 Jun 2017, 17:36

Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Sun 25 Jun 2017, 09:09

Iceman wrote:i signed
29 signatures so far. was only 21 when i signed 5 minutes ago

NOW we sit at

Signatures (929) 

Province / Territory

Signatures
Alberta
British Columbia
Manitoba
New Brunswick
Newfoundland and Labrador
Nova Scotia
Ontario
Prince Edward Island
Quebec
Saskatchewan
Other Countries

Note*On Wed 21 Jun 2017, 20:17 signatures were at 254
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo Thu 22 Jun 2017, 18:40

Iceman. I released medically in 96 with 17 years service. I was issued a NDI75 Husband got out in 94 with just a few days under 20 and got one also.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Thu 22 Jun 2017, 17:31

just for clarification. the NDI 75 was originally only available if you had 25 or more years of service.

It was later changed so that you could get it if you had 10 years or more. if you had under 10 years, you were not eligible for it. (I'm not sure when it was changed, i think around 2000)

Iceman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2016-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Jun 2017, 17:17

teentitan wrote:Trooper;  the NDI-75 was discontinued because it was not VAC doing it, it was the DND.  They felt it was not their responsibility to issue a Veteran ID card.  If I remember correctly the DND gave VAC a 5 year heads up that they would discontinue issuing them and VAC did jack squat.

At the last Summitt VVI Chief Editor brought the subject up with Hehr and he was absolutely against issuing an ID card.  That's why I find it really odd that a Liberal MP from Nova Scotia created this petition.

I know there is a lot of people that think having an ID card is stupid and a waste of money.  IMO they are so wrong to think this way.

What happens to a person who's medical file is lost and they have been out of the military for 10 years and they develop a hearing problem.  How are they going to prove they were in the military?  Well an issued ID card from VAC would be the proof they need to get help.

If you know someone in the Military now and is getting out tell them to ask the release clerk to punch a hole in their Military ID card so the releasing member has some form of proof they are a veteran.

Thanks Teen.

DND has done it for many years, it was a simple process as each released service member would automatically received the NDI 75. The ID had the service members picture, the picture was taken from the service members file, which came from the members graduation photo upon entering the forces. How simple is that?

I can see now why a new ID card is a problem for VAC, there's no gain for the bureaucrats, so they will not waste their time on something that does not benefit them!

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Thu 22 Jun 2017, 14:39

good luck trying in the US. it might depend where you are, but for me, what i have found during my travels, is that Americans only provide military/veteran discounts to US military/veterans Only.

On a side note, most of the states in the US actually have a veteran designation on the driver's license itself. that is what is mostly used for veteran identification.

Iceman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2016-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Loader Thu 22 Jun 2017, 13:49

Trooper wrote:What was the reason they stopped issuing the NDI 75?

I still use mine and continue to get all of the discounts.

Below is the CANFORGEN that talks about the transition. If you check the http://www.canex.ca/cf-one-faq ,they state  Your CFOne card is not a valid identification card. Heading to the states for a 10 day bike trip shortly, it will be interesting to see if the US will give veteran discounts with this "appreciation" card.

CANFORGEN 011/16 CMP 008/16 S 191728Z JAN 16

TRANSITION FROM THE RECORD OF SERVICE (NDI 75) CARD

UNCLASSIFIED

REFS: A. OP ORDER IMPLEMENTATION OF THE NEW CFONE CARD, 23 JUNE 2015
B. CFAO 15-2
C. MILITARY HUMAN RESOURCES RECORDS PROCEDURES

1. UNDERSTANDING THE NEED TO FULLY AND PROPERLY RECOGNIZE SERVING AND FORMER MEMBERS OF THE CANADIAN ARMED FORCES (CAF) AND THEIR FAMILIES, THE CAF WILL TRANSITION FROM THE RECORD OF SERVICE CARD (NDI75) TO THE CFONE CARD AS THE RECOGNITION CARD OF CHOICE. AS PART OF THIS TRANSITION, THE CAF WILL CEASE PROCESSING OF THE NDI 75 EFFECTIVE 1 FEBRUARY, 2016

2. THE CFONE CARD WILL BE AVAILABLE TO ALL SERVING AND FORMER MEMBERS OF THE CAF AND THEIR FAMILIES. VETERANS OF THE CAF WILL RECEIVE A SPECIALLY DESIGNED CARD THAT RIGHTFULLY DISTINGUISHES THEM AS A VETERAN OF THE CAF. DETAILS FOR HOW TO OBTAIN A CFONE CARD ARE AVAILABLE THROUGH CFMWS AND AT THE WEBSITE LOCATED AT WWW.CF1FC.CA

3. WHILE THE NDI 75 CARD WILL NO LONGER BE IN PRODUCTION, THE CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE DOCUMENTATION (DND 2279 OR CF 707 AND CF 54) WILL CONTINUE TO BE PROVIDED TO ALL RETIRING AND TRANSITIONING MEMBERS OF THE CAF AS THEY FINALIZE THEIR ADMINISTRATIVE REQUIREMENTS PRIOR TO DEPARTING THE CAF

4. RESPECTIVE URS WILL CONTINUE TO PROVIDE THE DND 2279 AND CF 707 DOCUMENTS FOR MEMBERS WITH LESS THAN 10 YEARS OF SERVICE (YOS) AND DMCA WILL CONTINUE TO PROVIDE CF 54 FOR MEMBERS WITH MORE THAN 10 YOS. FOR MORE DETAILS PLEASE REFER TO COMMANDER MPC WEB PAGE OF THE MILITARY HUMAN RESOURCES RECORDS PROCEDURES PUBLICATION (MHRRP) HTTP://UPKPROD.DESC.MIL.CA/HRMSP/ENG/DATA/TOC.HTML

5. REQUESTS FOR INFORMATION REGARDING THE NEW CFONE CARD WILL BE REDIRECTED TO CFMWS WHO WILL PROVIDE MORE DETAILS WITHIN THE COMING WEEKS
Loader
Loader
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2017-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Thu 22 Jun 2017, 11:03

Trooper; the NDI-75 was discontinued because it was not VAC doing it, it was the DND. They felt it was not their responsibility to issue a Veteran ID card. If I remember correctly the DND gave VAC a 5 year heads up that they would discontinue issuing them and VAC did jack squat.

At the last Summitt VVI Chief Editor brought the subject up with Hehr and he was absolutely against issuing an ID card. That's why I find it really odd that a Liberal MP from Nova Scotia created this petition.

I know there is a lot of people that think having an ID card is stupid and a waste of money. IMO they are so wrong to think this way.

What happens to a person who's medical file is lost and they have been out of the military for 10 years and they develop a hearing problem. How are they going to prove they were in the military? Well an issued ID card from VAC would be the proof they need to get help.

If you know someone in the Military now and is getting out tell them to ask the release clerk to punch a hole in their Military ID card so the releasing member has some form of proof they are a veteran.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Loader Thu 22 Jun 2017, 08:33

489 as of 0830 EDT
Loader
Loader
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2017-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Wed 21 Jun 2017, 19:18

Power of networking!
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Wed 21 Jun 2017, 19:17

Iceman wrote:i signed
29 signatures so far. was only 21 when i signed 5 minutes ago

Signatures 254
UPDATE

Province / Territory
Signatures
Alberta
British Columbia
Manitoba
New Brunswick
Newfoundland and Labrador
Nova Scotia
Ontario
Prince Edward Island
Quebec
Saskatchewan
Other Countries

Last edited by Dannypaj on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 09:13; edited 2 times in total
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jun 2017, 16:22

What was the reason they stopped issuing the NDI 75?

I still use mine and continue to get all of the discounts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next