Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rewarded for staying broken!

3 posters

Go down

Rewarded for staying broken! Empty Re: Rewarded for staying broken!

Post by pinger Thu 21 Sep 2017, 16:01

Good topic to post Dameon,

It could rhyme with sucking off the GoC / VaC tit, self-loathing, or not worthy, but “ basements “ are not very nice...

However, spinning that 180 degree's to what one CAN do is more positive, like the aforementioned volunteering. Be it a VaC ward or a library literacy program, call it paying it forward or anything close to ones heart. It's rewarding.

The bonus is it's under VaC's radar

Dr. Phil out Smile

Stay well all.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Dameon Thu 21 Sep 2017, 10:19

Bigrex, now there is a motive I can get behind. I haven't worked in a few years, and haven't really been able to function in a social environment. But getting to the point where I could give back, now that is something that interests me. Thank you.

Dameon
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2017-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 21 Sep 2017, 09:45

It's a matter of finding balance in your life. I cannot work any more, but even if I wanted to try and find a casual job for minimum wage, it would reduce my ELB, and possibly even cost me the CIAS. So I used to volunteer as an assistant coach for a basketball team for a few hours per week. It allowed me to feel like I was still contributing to society, without putting my benefits at risk. Every community needs volunteers, be it for delivering food to seniors, to reading to children at the local library. So find something that interests you, and try to make the most of the new life that you have.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Dameon Thu 21 Sep 2017, 08:54

That's a good point Trooper. I think I see what you are saying. Perhaps this is coming from my own desire to be well, and my own frustration with the process. The truth is VAC has been pretty good to me in most regards. I think my anxiety with the bureaucracy just gets on my nerves, and I start this pondering the silliness of some of the process.

Dameon
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Sep 2017, 08:26

Why not look at it this way;

The benefits are there for Veterans with medical conditions, it is these benefits that are suppose to help somewhat the Veteran, be it financially or otherwise. We are not doctors who can make diagnoses or decisions on whether or not we have made a complete turn around for the better. It is something that can be looked at in the form of one feeling better, but in no way better in terms of the medical condition or conditions that has given you some benefits from VAC or other sources. What or how one reacts when they think they are better or improved enough to come forward and state it to the beneficial source providing the benefits to you is up to the individual. I am talking about Veterans who have served their Country, they are different then other individuals who have not, we are not in the same category in terms of entitlement of benefits. The bottom line is really quite simple, just because your feeling a bit better does not mean that you no longer require what was approved in terms of benefits to you, but if you no longer want or need those benefits, fill your boots and let them know you are better, and no longer require the benefits, definitely not something I would suggest. Look after yourself and keep those benefits!

Back to top Go down

Rewarded for staying broken! Empty Rewarded for staying broken!

Post by Dameon Thu 21 Sep 2017, 07:48

If want to prefice this discussion with an assurance, that no matter the cost, I want to find away to become a normal member of society, or at least as close as possible, under my conditions.

I have an incredible amount of anxiety built up over dealing with VAC. It's like an employer who is whimsical in nature, friendly, with a hidden agenda. I have a hard time trying to develop any trust, especially with them, and they are the ones that are helping me. Another topic for my therapist. Anyway....

I have received a disability award for an OSI. But just 10% to be reevaluated next year. I am actively trying to get better, and am hopeful that I will be able to live with my demons in the future. What I am curious about, is when they do their reassessment, if I am in better condition mentally, than I was when I started, will that negatively effect my decision, lowering the percentage I may have gotten if I had of stayed in my basement the whole time, and not bothered to help myself? If so, that makes it look like they are rewarding people for not doing anything, and chastising those who want to get better.

I only ask out of curiosity, and because it kills me think that VAC would encourage Vets to stay broken.

I have friend who is doing nothing to help himself, and is still buried in a world of substance abuse to cope. They awarded him 40%, after his reassessment, and he did absolutely nothing except drink himself into a hole for 16 months while he waited.

I am frustrated that he is not getting the help he needs, but also just that they may turn their back on me because I am turning my life upside down to get this monkey off my back.

Thoughts?

Dameon
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down