Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hearing tests , one and done or no ?

Go down

Hearing tests , one and done or no ? Empty Re: Hearing tests , one and done or no ?

Post by Guest Fri 30 Mar 2018, 13:10

Thanks, I don`t even know what type of person I saw audiologist or hearing tech I just looked up local hearing testers and picked one, though there was more than just beeps, there were words spoken in my ears too.
I can access VAC original test I guess, but even if the new one was conducted by the right professional and shows my further loss of hearing since I get out...I feel VAC will say "you were fine when we released you a decade ago, of course you`re hearing went down, that's life"?

Back to top Go down

Hearing tests , one and done or no ? Empty Hearing tests, one and done or no?

Post by Rubicon Fri 30 Mar 2018, 11:16

Artie Simm, I just had a hearing test performed in Kingston by an audiologist recognized by Blue Cross as a Service Provider because I thought my hearing had deteriorated further since my medical release. I was already being treated by this audiologist for tinnitus and had just been prescribed for hearing aids to mask the tinnitus. I did not want to fill the VAC disability application queue with an application that was not warranted. My audiologist was able to use the VAC hearing loss chart to determine if I indeed had sufficient loss for a hearing application. It turned out I had further hearing loss but did not have sufficient loss to warrant a claim for it. I would suggest you find an audiologist who can test and compare your numbers to the VAC chart to see if you have sufficient measurable hearing loss for a claim. Make certain you use an audiologist as VAC has issues with just having hearing technicians performing the test. Most military hearing tests are performed by hearing technicians and not audiologists which is probably why VAC refers veterans to an audiologist before rendering a decision. Additionally, my most recent hearing test was much more intense and thorough than the "beep test" at the base clinic. Good luck.

Rubicon
Rubicon
Rubicon
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2017-03-16

Back to top Go down

Hearing tests , one and done or no ? Empty Hearing tests , one and done or no ?

Post by Guest Fri 30 Mar 2018, 10:24

Over a decade ago I submitted a hearing claim and was denied. Only recently have I learned that hearing and Tinnitus claims are separate issues.
I have since been tested for Tinnitus and it appears based on the Dr.`s assessment that I do have it.
So, I just submitted a disability claim for Tinnitus.
If granted, the test clearly shows hearing loss in both ears( nothing related to my time after leaving the service caused that).
I don`t think I even saw the results of the original hearing test I had when I got out, to compare how sever the the current hearing loss is.
Is it worth even bothering resubmitting to VAC with this new hearing test for a hearing claim as well, my ears are obviously damaged no matter what the decade old test reflected?

Back to top Go down

Hearing tests , one and done or no ? Empty Re: Hearing tests , one and done or no ?

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down