Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is CPPD also deducted from your military pension?

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is CPPD also deducted from your military pension? Empty Re: Is CPPD also deducted from your military pension?

Post by Guest Mon 24 Sep 2018, 11:17

bigrex wrote:Ok, I was not aware that you had actually left work, because when we were talking about it, you were very hesitant about doing so. But if you left work months ago, because of your health, you should have requested a DEC determination or CPPD right away, but by waiting until now, when your ELB is on the verge of being cut off, you've only placed yourself in the precarious situation of possibly going without any financial supports, even if temporarily.

I honestly hope everything works out, but you seem to intentionally make things more difficult for yourself, by questioning and ignoring the advice that I and others have repeatedly given you, over the last several months, at your request. I hate to say it, but if you do not ask for a DEC determination right away, as well as apply for CIA and CIAS, if you haven't already, then there is nothing more that I can help you with.
l wouldn’t say that, l question the advice here because sometimes it takes 2-3 different ways of explaining something before l get it, and l don’t ignore the advice in fact I’ve used much of it, and l thank everyone here for putting up with me and adnswering my multitude if not redundant questions, without you all l would be lost. Much like another poster mentioned who felt he was an “ oddity”, l also feel that too, in fact I bet every person on here feels their situation is unique. For me it was a slow descent into hell , but now I’m here, and trying to figure out the best way to survive. I’ll be okay for the time being as my ELB is not “ on the verge of being cut off”, l just don’t feel any determination of my VAC disabilities or application for their other benefits will come through for me before l at least hear back from CPPD. Your responses are always appreciated, but again without someone knowing the whole story things can often be misunderstood

Back to top Go down

Is CPPD also deducted from your military pension? Empty Re: Is CPPD also deducted from your military pension?

Post by bigrex Mon 24 Sep 2018, 09:51

Ok, I was not aware that you had actually left work, because when we were talking about it, you were very hesitant about doing so. But if you left work months ago, because of your health, you should have requested a DEC determination or CPPD right away, but by waiting until now, when your ELB is on the verge of being cut off, you've only placed yourself in the precarious situation of possibly going without any financial supports, even if temporarily.

I honestly hope everything works out, but you seem to intentionally make things more difficult for yourself, by questioning and ignoring the advice that I and others have repeatedly given you, over the last several months, at your request. I hate to say it, but if you do not ask for a DEC determination right away, as well as apply for CIA and CIAS, if you haven't already, then there is nothing more that I can help you with.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Sep 2018, 09:08

bigrex wrote:Well for one thing Artie, you can't tell any government agency that you can't work, and need to get benefits, while you are actually still working full time. They won't take your application seriously, because they'll see that you can work if you have to, but you just don't want to. it may not be fair, but it is what it is. So if you feel that you should be able to get DEC, don't you think that it would be better to take that leap of faith while currently getting ELB, than waiting until it gets cut off, and then you are forced to leave work? At least now you have that safety net in place..

As far as the time it takes to get approved, we're seeing people get DEC approved after only several weeks, and CPP taking several months, to years, if they need to go through the appeal process. Nothing is guaranteed to be quick.
but I'm not working ,

Last edited by Artie Simm on Wed 26 Sep 2018, 17:24; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 24 Sep 2018, 07:40

Well for one thing Artie, you can't tell any government agency that you can't work, and need to get benefits, while you are actually still working full time. They won't take your application seriously, because they'll see that you can work if you have to, but you just don't want to. it may not be fair, but it is what it is. So if you feel that you should be able to get DEC, don't you think that it would be better to take that leap of faith while currently getting ELB, than waiting until it gets cut off, and then you are forced to leave work? At least now you have that safety net in place..

As far as the time it takes to get approved, we're seeing people get DEC approved after only several weeks, and CPP taking several months, to years, if they need to go through the appeal process. Nothing is guaranteed to be quick.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Mon 24 Sep 2018, 06:54

Bigrex - Looking back, you are correct that CM, was not following policy. That was when ea CM had 50 or more clients. Sometimes I’d call, and that CM would mess me up with another client. They where stressed to the max then. I’m just glad it worked out in the end. The wait times today have gone beyond reason. And something that every Vet needs to address at their doors come next fall. VVV
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Sep 2018, 23:48

bigrex wrote:Yes, but had you even attempted to get DEC before you applied for CPPD? Because if you are too messed up to work at all, you should not have any issues getting DEC, since you can be able to earn 66.6% of your previous income, and still be approved. So if your CM made you apply for CPP first, before even requesting a DEC determination, then she was being derelict of her duties.

And Artie, I said that, because it's easier to get DEC, than CPPD. With CPP, you need to be completely disabled and incapable of working, but with DEC, you only need to be limited to working part time. But you don't even seem willing to apply for DEC, in order to extend your ELB. But if it's because you don't think you can qualify for DEC, there is no way they will approve CPPD.

But to answer your question, yes, you can get DEC without being assessed at 100%. I was only at 75% when I was declared TPI.
l think a lot of who gets what comes down to how well you get along with your CM,

Last edited by Artie Simm on Wed 26 Sep 2018, 17:23; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 23 Sep 2018, 22:05

Yes, but had you even attempted to get DEC before you applied for CPPD? Because if you are too messed up to work at all, you should not have any issues getting DEC, since you can be able to earn 66.6% of your previous income, and still be approved. So if your CM made you apply for CPP first, before even requesting a DEC determination, then she was being derelict of her duties.

And Artie, I said that, because it's easier to get DEC, than CPPD. With CPP, you need to be completely disabled and incapable of working, but with DEC, you only need to be limited to working part time. But you don't even seem willing to apply for DEC, in order to extend your ELB. But if it's because you don't think you can qualify for DEC, there is no way they will approve CPPD.

But to answer your question, yes, you can get DEC without being assessed at 100%. I was only at 75% when I was declared TPI.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Sep 2018, 21:24

johnny211 wrote:Artie Simm and Bigrex - It’s not very often that I comment on big Rex..lol. But let me throw all this 90 degrees. And I’m sure I’m an oddity. I was on Voc rehab, had a CM, and no where near 100% at that pt in time. I was at the end of my rehab, did a yr of college, got a good job. But the mental and physical wounds stopped me cold. I had to leave work.
 I was then in that gray, panic area. Vac was threatening to cut me off. This was prior to a new reassessment. Out of the blue one day my CM, said to me. If you get CPPD, then let me know, and that will be my ammo to get you TPI/Dec now. I applied, and got it 3 mths later. Faxed it to her, and then she put it up for DEC.
  At that point I was at 100%. And DEC was approved. So maybe I’m an oddity but I figured if cppd says I’m dec, then vac should agree. And they did. I’m not saying this will work for all, but just my red tape mess..Johnny Out..VVV
that’s kind of the boat I’m in,

Last edited by Artie Simm on Wed 26 Sep 2018, 17:22; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Sun 23 Sep 2018, 20:00

Artie Simm and Bigrex - It’s not very often that I comment on big Rex..lol. But let me throw all this 90 degrees. And I’m sure I’m an oddity. I was on Voc rehab, had a CM, and no where near 100% at that pt in time. I was at the end of my rehab, did a yr of college, got a good job. But the mental and physical wounds stopped me cold. I had to leave work.
I was then in that gray, panic area. Vac was threatening to cut me off. This was prior to a new reassessment. Out of the blue one day my CM, said to me. If you get CPPD, then let me know, and that will be my ammo to get you TPI/Dec now. I applied, and got it 3 mths later. Faxed it to her, and then she put it up for DEC.
At that point I was at 100%. And DEC was approved. So maybe I’m an oddity but I figured if cppd says I’m dec, then vac should agree. And they did. I’m not saying this will work for all, but just my red tape mess..Johnny Out..VVV
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Sep 2018, 17:04

bigrex wrote:First of all, you would not get CPP(D) if you couldn't qualify as DEC, since it's even harder to get than VAC benefits. Secondly, deductions are made from your total ELB benefit, not the amount that you actually receive So if your total ELB is $4000, and you get 2500 from other sources, it still leaves $1500 from ELB, plus those other sources, leaving you with the same $4000/mo. But instead coming from one source, ELB, it comes from 3 sources, ELB, CP pension, and CPP(D). So having the CPP deducted from your CF pension, also mean that VAC will be deducting less CF pension from the ELB.

Using your numbers, your ELB before deductions would have to be $4500. Then subtract the $1000 for CPPD. and the CF pension, which is now reduced to $500 (even though it's actually only reduce by a few hundred), still leaving you with an ELB benefit of $3000, and a total monthly income of $4500 before taxes.

So trust me. As long as you are entitled to ELB, your pre-tax income will never drop below that 90% amount. It's just not financially possible.
I'm not so sure about not qualifying for Cppd, it was you who said they are a separate entity from VAC.

Last edited by Artie Simm on Wed 26 Sep 2018, 17:21; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 23 Sep 2018, 13:33

First of all, you would not get CPP(D) if you couldn't qualify as DEC, since it's even harder to get than VAC benefits. Secondly, deductions are made from your total ELB benefit, not the amount that you actually receive So if your total ELB is $4000, and you get 2500 from other sources, it still leaves $1500 from ELB, plus those other sources, leaving you with the same $4000/mo. But instead coming from one source, ELB, it comes from 3 sources, ELB, CP pension, and CPP(D). So having the CPP deducted from your CF pension, also mean that VAC will be deducting less CF pension from the ELB.

Using your numbers, your ELB before deductions would have to be $4500. Then subtract the $1000 for CPPD. and the CF pension, which is now reduced to $500 (even though it's actually only reduce by a few hundred), still leaving you with an ELB benefit of $3000, and a total monthly income of $4500 before taxes.

So trust me. As long as you are entitled to ELB, your pre-tax income will never drop below that 90% amount. It's just not financially possible.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Sep 2018, 12:48

Sorry it still doesn’t add up to me,

Last edited by Artie Simm on Mon 24 Sep 2018, 09:30; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Sep 2018, 12:11

bigrex wrote:Yes, it does get deducted from both CF pension, and ELB, but in the end, you are not any better or worse off, because the ELB will always keep you topped up to the 90% amount.

Before getting CPP(D)

CF pension $1000
ELB $4000 - $1000

total monthly income = $4000 gross

After getting CPP(D)

CF Pension$700
CPP(D) $800
ELB $4000 - $1500

but that's not entirely true because ELB is only for 2 years if VAC decides to remove it.Which is why l think l should apply for Cppd ,lm not DEC either.im just looking for a safety net after the 24month mark.

Last edited by Artie Simm on Sun 23 Sep 2018, 13:03; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo Sun 23 Sep 2018, 11:30

I am surprised tho why VAC does not tell you to apply for CPP(D) because then there is less that comes out of the VAC budget. I know SISIP makes you apply for CPP(D) for the same reason.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 23 Sep 2018, 11:20

Yes, it does get deducted from both CF pension, and ELB, but in the end, you are not any better or worse off, because the ELB will always keep you topped up to the 90% amount.

Before getting CPP(D)

CF pension $1000
ELB $4000 - $1000

After getting CPP(D)

CF Pension$700
CPP(D) $800
ELB $4000 - $1500

bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum