Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is CPPD also deducted from your military pension?

3 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Is CPPD also deducted from your military pension? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is CPPD also deducted from your military pension?

Post by Nemo Sun 23 Sep 2018, 10:50

Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Is CPPD also deducted from your military pension? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is CPPD also deducted from your military pension?

Post by Nemo Sun 23 Sep 2018, 10:46

Artie Simm wrote:
Nemo wrote:If you get CPP disability then you lose the bridge benefit of your C.F. pension.
sorry if l don’t understand what that means.? I was medically released before 2006 and was given a pension because I had served more than 10 years. I think it amounts to about $1500 a month, if CPPD was granted at $1000 a month, are you saying that $1000 would be deducted from the $1500 l currently get..?

Personally, I believe it is of benefit for you to go for CPP(D) .  But you must be deemed 100% disabled to get CPP(D). And you must be prepared for being turned down once and then appealing it. Many succeed on the appeal.

Last edited by Nemo on Sun 23 Sep 2018, 10:55; edited 1 time in total
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo Sun 23 Sep 2018, 10:44

Artie Simm wrote:
Nemo wrote:If you get CPP disability then you lose the bridge benefit of your C.F. pension.
sorry if l don’t understand what that means.? I was medically released before 2006 and was given a pension because I had served more than 10 years. I think it amounts to about $1500 a month, if CPPD was granted at $1000 a month, are you saying that $1000 would be deducted from the $1500 l currently get..?

If you are not currently receiving CPP (D) then you are getting your full CF pension which also includes what is called the bridge benefit. This is often referred to as the clawback. If you don't have a statement that states the amount of your bridge benefit, then call the CF pension system and they will tell you. So let's say the bridge benefit for you is $400 (and this is purely a random number I am using for this example). So then that means that on receipt of CPP(D) you would now have your $400 deducted from your CF pension. Now I don't know how much your CPP(D) benefit will be. But let's say it is $1300. So then you would get $1300 CPP(D) each month plus $1100 from your CF pension.

Now, if you don't get CPP(D), then the bridge benefit from your CF pension will disappear at age 65 regardless of whether or not you opt to receive your CPP at age 65.. Many people are not prepared for that as years ago most military pers didn't even know the bridge benefit existed. I knew in my years in I never heard about it. But because so many were getting shocked at age 65 or on receipt of CPP(D), then this bridge benefit is usually shown on an annual statement.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Sep 2018, 01:14

are you saying that $1000 would be deducted from the $1500 l currently get..?

Last edited by Artie Simm on Mon 24 Sep 2018, 09:27; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo Sun 23 Sep 2018, 00:10

And you might find it of benefit to apply for your CPP disability. Could be better long term in what funds you get over your lifetime.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo Sun 23 Sep 2018, 00:08

If you get CPP disability then you lose the bridge benefit of your C.F. pension.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Is CPPD also deducted from your military pension? - Page 2 Empty Is CPPD also deducted from your military pension?

Post by Guest Sat 22 Sep 2018, 23:46

I  know that Cppd is deducted from ELB, but what about a vets regular release pension.

Last edited by Artie Simm on Mon 24 Sep 2018, 09:26; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2