Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CPPD and VAC deductions

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

CPPD and VAC deductions Empty Re: CPPD and VAC deductions

Post by bigrex Mon 29 Apr 2019, 14:09

Yes, you should get a letter stating what your benefits were supposed to be, during that time period. That can then be sent to VAC. But until everything gets sorted out, I would not spend a dime of the money CPP sends you. That way you won't have to worry about having to come up with a large chunk of money, in the near future.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Apr 2019, 12:33

bigrex wrote:It is complicated, but trust me, in the end, you will not have lost any money

So say for a specific month, your total ELB 90% amount is $5000 before any deductions, so the calculations looked like this.

ELB $4000
+CF pension $1000
= total income of $5000.

But now you are going to be getting a retroactive CPP(D) payment of $500, for that month, so the calculations would look something like this.

IRB $3800
CF pension $700 (after deduction of bridge benefit)
CPP $500
= total income of $5000

Because when you pay the money back to the CF, it will mean that VAC has effectively deducted too much money for CF pension, during those months.
thx, its still all greek...or geek to me, lol, so what you`re saying is that at some point I should get a letter from the CF saying you owe us $5000 or whatever and then well be even keel? I mean right now the CF has my CPPD paperwork, but thats all I`ve done. I just keep expecting VAC to get on my case saying " hey you never told us you were drawing CPPD, and weve been paying you the full ELB the last few months, you know owe us $5000 in over payment too, or whatever is going to happen.? I`m just trying to figure out at what point I`m supposed to notifiy VAC or are the CF pension people doing that for me me behind the scenes?

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 29 Apr 2019, 12:12

It is complicated, but trust me, in the end, you will not have lost any money

So say for a specific month, your total ELB 90% amount is $5000 before any deductions, so the calculations looked like this.

ELB $4000
+CF pension $1000
= total income of $5000.

But now you are going to be getting a retroactive CPP(D) payment of $500, for that month, so the calculations would look something like this.

IRB $3800
CF pension $700 (after deduction of bridge benefit)
CPP $500
= total income of $5000

Because when you pay the money back to the CF, it will mean that VAC has effectively deducted too much money for CF pension, during those months.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Apr 2019, 09:25

bigrex wrote:OK, here is what you do. You will need to pay back the CF pension first. Then get a letter, stating what you new CF pension was for those months, because the CF pension doesn't deduct dollar for dollar, it just reduces it by the bridge benefit, of roughly $320, IIRC. Then once, you have that, contact VAC, and let them know that you have recieved CPP(D) retroactive, and they will deduct that money, from ELB. But then you inform them of the new reduced CF pension, for those same months, reducing the amount you will effectively need to pay back, from $6000, to roughly $5000. which you use the CPP back pay to cover. If done correctly, you should not be out of pocket, for paying back any of the ELB. Then starting next month, you ELB would be whatever is left of the 90% amount, that isn't covered by CPP(D) and the CF pension.
l phoned CAF pension division and they told me to send them a copy of the payment letter I received from CPPD, so what happens now, will I eventually get a letter back from the military pension people with my newly adjusted rate at some point, and then I submit that letter to vac/ELB division .? Because right now I’ve heard back from no one and don’t even know if they will supply me with a letter detailing what my new lower military pension payment will be, however my first payment of CPPD has gone in the bank as well as my regular ELB payment , But my ELB payment is supposed to be lowered by whatever the amount of my CPPD deposit is right? I not sure when/how I’m supposed to make that happen. Anyone know?

Back to top Go down

Post by Zodiac Sat 16 Mar 2019, 18:51

I believe you just got a very late message from VAC.  I got one too @ 2330 hrs last night, but I had already read the message at about 1700 hrs on my VAC account.

Zodiac
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2019-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Mar 2019, 16:34

Sleeping Dog wrote:
bigrex wrote:OK, here is what you do. You will need to pay back the CF pension first. Then get a letter, stating what you new CF pension was for those months, because the CF pension doesn't deduct dollar for dollar, it just reduces it by the bridge benefit, of roughly $320, IIRC. Then once, you have that, contact VAC, and let them know that you have recieved CPP(D) retroactive, and they will deduct that money, from ELB. But then you inform them of the new reduced CF pension, for those same months, reducing the amount you will effectively need to pay back, from $6000, to roughly $5000. which you use the CPP back pay to cover. If done correctly, you should not be out of pocket, for paying back any of the ELB. Then starting next month, you ELB would be whatever is left of the 90% amount, that isn't covered by CPP(D) and the CF pension.
thanks, I'll try that. It baffles me that l was granted CPPD, but VAC declined my DEC application
This is weirder still ,last night ( fri) I get a message from my CM in myvacaccount, it appeared at 11pm as l get notifications of vac messages on my phone. The CM was basically scolding me with a bunch of irreverent information. This seems a bit late to be working overtime, I think the CM was attempting to push my buttons at a time I might be most vulnerable, l found it odd, just odd, I replied but the cm did not respond again.??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Mar 2019, 22:58

thanks, I'll try that. It baffles me that l was granted CPPD, but VAC declined my DEC application

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 15 Mar 2019, 21:03

OK, here is what you do. You will need to pay back the CF pension first. Then get a letter, stating what you new CF pension was for those months, because the CF pension doesn't deduct dollar for dollar, it just reduces it by the bridge benefit, of roughly $320, IIRC. Then once, you have that, contact VAC, and let them know that you have recieved CPP(D) retroactive, and they will deduct that money, from ELB. But then you inform them of the new reduced CF pension, for those same months, reducing the amount you will effectively need to pay back, from $6000, to roughly $5000. which you use the CPP back pay to cover. If done correctly, you should not be out of pocket, for paying back any of the ELB. Then starting next month, you ELB would be whatever is left of the 90% amount, that isn't covered by CPP(D) and the CF pension.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Mar 2019, 18:35

bigrex wrote:It's a complicated system, but yes, ELB will deduct your CPP(D). But basically, you will not lose any money, from the Gross 90% amount, guaranteed by the ELB, it's just that you will receive it from multiple sources, instead of just VAC. So your 90% amount could be $5000/mo, CF pension equals $1500, CPP(D) pays $1000, leaving an actual ELB gross payment of $2500. But overall, you are still getting the full $5000. The CIA and CIAS, are not deducted from the ELB.
I’ve been on ELB a year, l was just approved CPPD, though I’ve received no money yet, the gov. Letter says they are going to retro pay me 4 months. Monday I plan to inform VAc and my mil pension. Let’s say the CPPD back pay is $6000, what does vac/mil pension do about that moving forward, I.e. if my ELB was $2000 a month before, would vac look at the CPPD letter and decide, were not paying you ELB for the next 3 months. And then on the next month ELB $2000- CPPD $1500, and vac will just start paying me $500?

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Thu 07 Mar 2019, 20:55

Once again Bigrex, thanks. I thought as much but to be definitive we will have to wait for the role out on April 1st.

Steve

AirLog
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2017-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 07 Mar 2019, 20:47

I believe that the CIAS will be outside the "normal" benefits. If you get it, then great, but if not, it might as well never existed.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Thu 07 Mar 2019, 20:04

I thought as much Bigrex. Now my fear is that my CIA Supplement will be used to calculate the 90% of imputed income come April 1st! I am hoping not but I can't quite figure out how the CIA supplement will be used come April 1st.

Steve

AirLog
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 07 Mar 2019, 19:59

It's a complicated system, but yes, ELB will deduct your CPP(D). But basically, you will not lose any money, from the Gross 90% amount, guaranteed by the ELB, it's just that you will receive it from multiple sources, instead of just VAC. So your 90% amount could be $5000/mo, CF pension equals $1500, CPP(D) pays $1000, leaving an actual ELB gross payment of $2500. But overall, you are still getting the full $5000. The CIA and CIAS, are not deducted from the ELB.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Mar 2019, 19:50

AirLog wrote:Bigrex,

I am in the process of applying for CPPD as my private LTD insurer has requested that I apply. Based on my conversation with my LTD provider and CPPD (they called to inform me that they will be expediting my application due to my illness), I most likely will be approved for CPPD in the. next week or two. I do understand that my military pension will be reduced by CPPD but will my ELB also be reduced by the amount I receive from CPPD? I was under the impression that my military pension would be reduced but then my ELB would be increased by the amount my pension would be reduced where I would basically end up with approximately the same amount of monthly income. Otherwise what is the benefit of applying for CPPD? Advice desperately needed.

Steve
do you have kids? Many here recommend staying clear of CPpd if you are on Elb etc due to the deductions, but I think you get an additional $250 per child that is not deducted from elb or your military pension as it is money on behalf of your kids, not you.

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Thu 07 Mar 2019, 19:46

Also, and in continuation with my last post, with the new PFL coming into effect April 1st, will my CIA Supplement be included as part of my imputed income when calculating my ELB (Extended)?

Steve

AirLog
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next