Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

REHAB termination/suspension protocol

+2
derngt
Unknown Soldier
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

REHAB termination/suspension protocol  Empty Re: REHAB termination/suspension protocol

Post by derngt Wed 28 Aug 2019, 10:37

Unknown Soldier wrote:
SatchBoogie wrote:also, important to keep in mind.  if you would like to not take medication, that is indeed your right.  but it is your choice to see either a psychologist or psychiatrist as per the rehab program stipulations, they are basically the same thing from a treatment perspective except the psychiatrist can (and will) prescribe medication.  the psychologists cannot.  i would suggest finding a registered psychologist to work with as opposed to a psychiatrist if you are interested in the non-medication path. they should respect your wishes regardless of who you work with, but i am saying its one less variable to worry about on your end if you take the initiative.  your treatment is in your hands.  all my best

SB
thanks again, my situation is intertwined with a friends, I am fearful of mind altering drugs, but in her case she has been seeing a psychologist for 4 years  for PTSD and was happy with the situation and doing well mentally. But when she applied for DEC status , VAC asked her to leave behind her psychologist because they felt 4 years was too long to not see any real progress. They are insisting she go to a psychiatrist or else they will close her rehab program. I just think it’s weird how, no one at VAC cared how long she was seeing a psychologist, sort of out of site out of mind, but now they want a different opinion from a new dr. Who knows how long that therapy will take before she opens up, but that’s her battle.

This is something I can speak on. I saw the same psychologist for over 7 year years when he retired I started to see a clinical social work because there are no available psychologist in the area. After no contact with VAC for over ten years I signed up for the vocational rehabilitation program in March of 2018. I believe I mentioned this before. My case manager was able to hook me up with a psychiatrist last year. He helped sort out my meds. I am still seeing him every few week along with my social worker. I was granted DEC in July. I made sure by requesting that I continue seeing my social worker even though I am DEC. My CM said that wouldn’t be a problem. If it was beneficial to my mental health all the power to me. Your friend need to speak to management. Get you psychological to write a report on you mental health plan going forward.

derngt
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

REHAB termination/suspension protocol  Empty Re: REHAB termination/suspension protocol

Post by Unknown Soldier Wed 28 Aug 2019, 08:13

SatchBoogie wrote:also, important to keep in mind.  if you would like to not take medication, that is indeed your right.  but it is your choice to see either a psychologist or psychiatrist as per the rehab program stipulations, they are basically the same thing from a treatment perspective except the psychiatrist can (and will) prescribe medication.  the psychologists cannot.  i would suggest finding a registered psychologist to work with as opposed to a psychiatrist if you are interested in the non-medication path. they should respect your wishes regardless of who you work with, but i am saying its one less variable to worry about on your end if you take the initiative.  your treatment is in your hands.  all my best

SB
thanks again, my situation is intertwined with a friends, I am fearful of mind altering drugs, but in her case she has been seeing a psychologist for 4 years for PTSD and was happy with the situation and doing well mentally. But when she applied for DEC status , VAC asked her to leave behind her psychologist because they felt 4 years was too long to not see any real progress. They are insisting she go to a psychiatrist or else they will close her rehab program. I just think it’s weird how, no one at VAC cared how long she was seeing a psychologist, sort of out of site out of mind, but now they want a different opinion from a new dr. Who knows how long that therapy will take before she opens up, but that’s her battle.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 610
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Wed 28 Aug 2019, 08:08

SatchBoogie wrote:fighting vac will not solve anything.  exact same situation happened to me.  and i mean exact.  the whole "refusing to take medication" all it boils down to is how its written in someone's report.  if they write it as "client is refusing treatment" its seen as contradictory to the methods of the rehab program.  if its written as "client has chosen to take a different path than that of medication and is enthusiastic to continue treatment" then its a positive.  its called the case manager lottery, my friend.  you rolled and got a bad one.  there are bad ones and good ones.  take the advice of one who has conquered this potential dark and immensely insulting and frustrating period.  reapply.  they treat each application as a new case.  and make sure if you're living in the same area you actively request a different case manager.  if they insist, you insist also.  don't forget your rights, but don't lose sleep.  its not worth it.  important thing is put in a new application, put this negative experience behind you and accept the possibility that not everyone who works at veterans affairs is bad at their jobs.  best of luck.
Thank you, this is the most sound advice I’ve heard yet. I will explain to VAC all the reasons I am fearful of drugs, if they want to ruin me it’s on them.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SatchBoogie Tue 27 Aug 2019, 22:09

also, important to keep in mind. if you would like to not take medication, that is indeed your right. but it is your choice to see either a psychologist or psychiatrist as per the rehab program stipulations, they are basically the same thing from a treatment perspective except the psychiatrist can (and will) prescribe medication. the psychologists cannot. i would suggest finding a registered psychologist to work with as opposed to a psychiatrist if you are interested in the non-medication path. they should respect your wishes regardless of who you work with, but i am saying its one less variable to worry about on your end if you take the initiative. your treatment is in your hands. all my best

SB

SatchBoogie
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2019-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by SatchBoogie Tue 27 Aug 2019, 21:30

fighting vac will not solve anything. exact same situation happened to me. and i mean exact. the whole "refusing to take medication" all it boils down to is how its written in someone's report. if they write it as "client is refusing treatment" its seen as contradictory to the methods of the rehab program. if its written as "client has chosen to take a different path than that of medication and is enthusiastic to continue treatment" then its a positive. its called the case manager lottery, my friend. you rolled and got a bad one. there are bad ones and good ones. take the advice of one who has conquered this potential dark and immensely insulting and frustrating period. reapply. they treat each application as a new case. and make sure if you're living in the same area you actively request a different case manager. if they insist, you insist also. don't forget your rights, but don't lose sleep. its not worth it. important thing is put in a new application, put this negative experience behind you and accept the possibility that not everyone who works at veterans affairs is bad at their jobs. best of luck.

SatchBoogie
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2019-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by sports1977 Tue 27 Aug 2019, 19:52

Unknown Soldier wrote:
derngt wrote:
Rustytheviking wrote:I have refused meds in the past. Never been threatened with the cutoff of benefits. Vac and medical professionals leave be. Very possible there’s more to the story than what you’ve been told

I agree..I have given him a lot of different options yet he keep saying the same thing....So go fight VAC then..
thank you for providing me with “ options” but none answered my original question til now: “ Will VAC cut off a verteran’s benefits if they refuse to take psychiatrist recommended meds, under the clause of “not participating in the rehab program “ - apparently not, at least in Vikings case. But l have found that what VAC does to/for one vet, is never equal across the board, I’ll keep you posted.

This is a question i would ask your Case Manager about to see what option and explain why you dont want to take the drugs.

sports1977
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2018-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Tue 27 Aug 2019, 18:37

derngt wrote:
Rustytheviking wrote:I have refused meds in the past. Never been threatened with the cutoff of benefits. Vac and medical professionals leave be. Very possible there’s more to the story than what you’ve been told

I agree..I have given him a lot of different options yet he keep saying the same thing....So go fight VAC then..
thank you for providing me with “ options” but none answered my original question til now: “ Will VAC cut off a verteran’s benefits if they refuse to take psychiatrist recommended meds, under the clause of “not participating in the rehab program “ - apparently not, at least in Vikings case. But l have found that what VAC does to/for one vet, is never equal across the board, I’ll keep you posted.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt Tue 27 Aug 2019, 15:12

derngt
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rustytheviking Tue 27 Aug 2019, 14:20

I have refused meds in the past. Never been threatened with the cutoff of benefits. Vac and medical professionals leave be. Very possible there’s more to the story than what you’ve been told

Rustytheviking
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2017-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Tue 27 Aug 2019, 09:34

derngt wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:
bigrex wrote:As tragic as that is, anti-depressants in teenagers, is a very risky thing, because their brain chemistry is still in flux. But that seldom happens with adults, when taking medication.  But what derngt was saying, was that VAC does not need to know what medications you are taking. They may what medications have been prescribed, to treat PTSD when filling out paperwork, but they do not ask how long you took them, if you you stopped, or why.
maybe so, but what I’m saying is, suppose as part of a veterans rehab plan, VAC states that the veteran must see a psychiatrist,either in the community or at an OSIC. After a few sessions the Dr. says I want you to try, whatever is prescribed to try and level PTSD. The veteran says no thanks for whatever reason, that psychiatrist then files a report to VAC saying “ client refused meds/help”. Then VAC turns around and says “ take the pill or lose your finances “, that’s blackmail, no one should ever be forced to take a drug out of fear they will lose the ability to support their family if they don’t.

bigrex was bang on what he said..Everyone agrees with your statement the no one should be forced to take meds..End of discussion..If you would rather fight the system then trying to work in it...All the power to you...I would prefer to get a cheque every month and support my family then fight VAC...If you can afford being cut off then fight away...On a personal level I would start and stop my meds for over 10 years for the same reasons you stated...It has only been in the last year I have finally found the right combination...Now I take them religiously...
but that’s what worries me, the trial and error method of finding the right combination, what if a person only gets one shot at it.l mean, it’s easy to say that a youths brain isn’t fully developed so they react differently to psychotic drugs, but some of these pills say in the side effects that in “ some” cases, they may heighten the likelihood of homicidal or suicidal thoughts,regardless of your age. a veteran may only need to take those drugs once to go off the deep end.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt Tue 27 Aug 2019, 08:18

Unknown Soldier wrote:
bigrex wrote:As tragic as that is, anti-depressants in teenagers, is a very risky thing, because their brain chemistry is still in flux. But that seldom happens with adults, when taking medication.  But what derngt was saying, was that VAC does not need to know what medications you are taking. They may what medications have been prescribed, to treat PTSD when filling out paperwork, but they do not ask how long you took them, if you you stopped, or why.
maybe so, but what I’m saying is, suppose as part of a veterans rehab plan, VAC states that the veteran must see a psychiatrist,either in the community or at an OSIC. After a few sessions the Dr. says I want you to try, whatever is prescribed to try and level PTSD. The veteran says no thanks for whatever reason, that psychiatrist then files a report to VAC saying “ client refused meds/help”. Then VAC turns around and says “ take the pill or lose your finances “, that’s blackmail, no one should ever be forced to take a drug out of fear they will lose the ability to support their family if they don’t.

bigrex was bang on what he said..Everyone agrees with your statement the no one should be forced to take meds..End of discussion..If you would rather fight the system then trying to work in it...All the power to you...I would prefer to get a cheque every month and support my family then fight VAC...If you can afford being cut off then fight away...On a personal level I would start and stop my meds for over 10 years for the same reasons you stated...It has only been in the last year I have finally found the right combination...Now I take them religiously...

derngt
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Tue 27 Aug 2019, 01:29

Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 26 Aug 2019, 23:18

As tragic as that is, anti-depressants in teenagers, is a very risky thing, because their brain chemistry is still in flux. But that seldom happens with adults, when taking medication.  But what derngt was saying, was that VAC does not need to know what medications you are taking. They may what medications have been prescribed, to treat PTSD when filling out paperwork, but they do not ask how long you took them, if you you stopped, or why.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Mon 26 Aug 2019, 16:46

derngt wrote:Did I miss a part of this conversation..If you agree taking meds are a good thing and seeking regular therapy is a good thing why are you being cut off..Is this someone else's case or yours...
l guess you missed part of the conversation, because I don’t think taking meds is a good thing, as l feel the risk of dangerous side effects outweighs their ability to help. I.e. a personal friend had a teen son who was recommended to take some form of pill for depression, the boy ended up cutting his own throat, they now said it was because of the drug he was prescribed.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt Mon 26 Aug 2019, 15:10

Did I miss a part of this conversation..If you agree taking meds are a good thing and seeking regular therapy is a good thing why are you being cut off..Is this someone else's case or yours...

derngt
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum