Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What % you need to be DEC

+7
johnny211
45jim
Teager
cdnnavy77
Crockett
Rustytheviking
daverobitaille@rogers.com
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

What % you need to be DEC - Page 3 Empty Re: What % you need to be DEC

Post by Unknown Soldier Sun 13 Oct 2019, 14:44

Ppclicaper wrote:Well all I can say .. I would not want to be a CM . I would never want to explain denial of benefits to any veteran , and be the only one a veteran see’s that represents VAC. Like when you call the call centre... trying to find out info.
you hit that nail on the head, a CM becomes the face of VAC when the shit hits the fan, but in most cases l think a veteran realizes that they are just the bearer of bad news, at least in denial of claims. dEC before April 1 was a different matter, as a lot of vets who got denied felt their Cm was going to the board, going to bat for them, and often blamed them for “ not pleading their case hard enough”, when in fact that were not even aware how much or little influence the Cm had during the decision.All that being said, lm sure the requirements to become a Cm are on the vac site, and yet beyond that is there a training component that involves role play to show these gov employees the type of mentally damaged veteran they might encounter, I doubt it. On the one hand no one should shoot the messenger, but when claims take 16 months not weeks, on average, l can see why vets lose their cool on everyone from vac employees to their own families.very few have coping mechanisms.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 608
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Ppclicaper Sun 13 Oct 2019, 14:29

Well all I can say .. I would not want to be a CM . I would never want to explain denial of benefits to any veteran , and be the only one a veteran see’s that represents VAC. Like when you call the call centre... trying to find out info.

Ppclicaper
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2019-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Sat 12 Oct 2019, 17:24

Ppclicaper wrote:Your CM was there to represent you to the other members of the board .. to bring real life views and prospective , as the CM was the most involved with your case. That is now gone ..they go by paperwork alone ...without the personal view or direct contact. I would be hesitant to state a CM bringing their own personal views against you into a decision . Than we would be paranoid of police psychologists etc in the same way .. all VAC did was eliminate everything beyond deciding on paperwork alone ... me personally I believe that is bad.
well I've heard of veterans going out Tim's with their cms while other vets have restraining orders against them and their cms, it's easy enough to find out if your cm is on your side or not , send to the access of information and ask for every transmission between you and your cm, youd be amazed what is said behind your back
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ppclicaper Sat 12 Oct 2019, 17:05

Your CM was there to represent you to the other members of the board .. to bring real life views and prospective , as the CM was the most involved with your case. That is now gone ..they go by paperwork alone ...without the personal view or direct contact. I would be hesitant to state a CM bringing their own personal views against you into a decision . Than we would be paranoid of police psychologists etc in the same way .. all VAC did was eliminate everything beyond deciding on paperwork alone ... me personally I believe that is bad.

Ppclicaper
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2019-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Sat 12 Oct 2019, 09:07

Rustytheviking wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:
Rustytheviking wrote:Like I stated, it comes down to ability to work and do education or retrain. There are people well over 100%, who can work and take home a paycheque, hence they don’t get dec. others have say 30% rating for a tbi and can’t work at all. Then they get dec.

My psychologist recommended I be dec. I only had ptsd and hearing loss. I was approved with zero issue. I then won my 4 year fight for my tbi. All it did was give me access to more benefits as I was already dec. needless to say I cannot work nor do schooling. Injured at 24, now 37 and apparently I’ll live to mid 70’s or 80, if something else doesn’t get me first.

All in all, everyone is different and it’s a case by case scenario.
That is the only problem I have with VAC and the declaration of who has a DEC and who does not, regardless of the veterans disability %. You and others say that they were found to have a DEC solely on their psychologists report while others who applied were told by VAC that their psychologists report was not sufficient, and that they were required to get a “ 2nd opinion” from a psychiatrist at the OSIC or similar. It’s the inconsistency that makes vets spin out of control.

Every province is different. I was living in Saskatchewan at the time. There is no march of dimes or anything there. My case manager at the time made the call with the medical team. Not sure about others experiences but it sounds like the west is more lenient on the requirements. Now with the pfl who knows what baseline they need to make the calls. Ability to work definitely should be a requirement though.
that’s another bone to pick, lol, l don’t think the west is more lenient because I’ve heard horror stories from out there too. But yes, depending on when a veteran was declared when they had a DEC, before April 1 a vets CM had their fingers in the pie, which I find kind of ludicrous, because although many have social work training VAC was literally leaving the future fate of a veteran in the hands of a layman,with no medical training whatsoever. Yes, in many cases the veterans DEC was decided by a Cm and an Inter Disciplinary Team, but I’ve heard of just the CM alone deciding...preposterous. ( at least if the CM decides against the vet). Now it’s some new board in Wpg, but l didn’t read that it was March of Dimes out of wpg, just a group of occupational therapists, nurse practitioners, dr. Etc
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rustytheviking Fri 11 Oct 2019, 21:17

Unknown Soldier wrote:
Rustytheviking wrote:Like I stated, it comes down to ability to work and do education or retrain. There are people well over 100%, who can work and take home a paycheque, hence they don’t get dec. others have say 30% rating for a tbi and can’t work at all. Then they get dec.

My psychologist recommended I be dec. I only had ptsd and hearing loss. I was approved with zero issue. I then won my 4 year fight for my tbi. All it did was give me access to more benefits as I was already dec. needless to say I cannot work nor do schooling. Injured at 24, now 37 and apparently I’ll live to mid 70’s or 80, if something else doesn’t get me first.

That is the only problem I have with VAC and the declaration of who has a DEC and who does not, regardless of the veterans disability %. You and others say that they were found to have a DEC solely on their psychologists report while others who applied were told by VAC that their psychologists report was not sufficient, and that they were required to get a “ 2nd opinion” from a psychiatrist at the OSIC or similar. It’s the inconsistency that makes vets spin out of control.

Every province is different. I was living in Saskatchewan at the time. There is no march of dimes or anything there. My case manager at the time made the call with the medical team. Not sure about others experiences but it sounds like the west is more lenient on the requirements. Now with the pfl who knows what baseline they need to make the calls. Ability to work definitely should be a requirement though.

Rustytheviking
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2017-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Thu 10 Oct 2019, 19:29

Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 Oct 2019, 18:27

Ten years and 66% PTSD and 32% feet and knees, before I was deemed DEC in 2018.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rustytheviking Thu 10 Oct 2019, 13:40

Like I stated, it comes down to ability to work and do education or retrain. There are people well over 100%, who can work and take home a paycheque, hence they don’t get dec. others have say 30% rating for a tbi and can’t work at all. Then they get dec.

Rustytheviking
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Thu 10 Oct 2019, 10:39

daverobitaille@rogers.com wrote:Hi All, What % do you need to be DEC. I am at 16% for my back, 11% for tinnitus so 27% total. I am waiting on 2 more claims to be finalized. My doctor already agrees that I will never be able to hold a full time job anymore but only up to 2 days per week. I am currently on Vocational rehab and going to college.
there are vets well over 100% disability that are not declared to have a DEC, and those with much lower that do have it. It all comes down to the right medical professionals signing off, family dr., occupational therapist, psychiatrist over a psychologist etc. As mentioned elsewhere, prior to April 1 2019 your case manager and an inter disciplinary team made the decision, based on medical evidence and the vocational educational assessment made by March of Dimes, now it’s in the hands of some new collective out of Wpg. If you read the threads here you will find people who have been on ELB/IRB for as little as 6 months to veterans who have been on it 13 years before VAC declared them to have a DEC
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

What % you need to be DEC - Page 3 Empty What % you need to be DEC

Post by Rubicon Thu 10 Oct 2019, 10:13

Dave, I was at 97% total with 6 approved disabilities and denied on first application for DEC just prior to 1 Apr 2019. The subsequent appeal was also denied this week because I had yet to have completed Vocational Rehab Testing and my neurologist wanted to revisit my condition at the one year mark before making her final assessment. I am appealing once again before Christmas with both the testing and the neurologist report completed this time. I still have one disability application sitting at Step 3. All this to say the percentage doesn't really matter apparently but now that the decision no longer rests with your CM nor a medical board, hopefully things will change with the March of Dimes now adjudicating. I am working with them now for my Voc Rehab testing and went around my CM to do it. Hopefully this will light a fire under someone's arse to get moving.

Rubicon
Rubicon
Rubicon
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2017-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Rustytheviking Thu 10 Oct 2019, 08:14

daverobitaille@rogers.com wrote:Hi All, What % do you need to be DEC. I am at 16% for my back, 11% for tinnitus so 27% total. I am waiting on 2 more claims to be finalized. My doctor already agrees that I will never be able to hold a full time job anymore but only up to 2 days per week. I am currently on Vocational rehab and going to college.

For me, I was at 72% when I was declared dec. I also cannot work, and will not work again. Im now we’ll over 100% in total. Most of us I find that are dec have been written off completely. No work or no college.

Rustytheviking
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

What % you need to be DEC - Page 3 Empty What % you need to be DEC

Post by daverobitaille@rogers.com Thu 10 Oct 2019, 06:52

Hi All, What % do you need to be DEC. I am at 16% for my back, 11% for tinnitus so 27% total. I am waiting on 2 more claims to be finalized. My doctor already agrees that I will never be able to hold a full time job anymore but only up to 2 days per week. I am currently on Vocational rehab and going to college.

daverobitaille@rogers.com
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2018-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum