Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Release

4 posters

Go down

Release  Empty Re: Release

Post by Gunner8 Wed 22 Jan 2020, 08:33

Iceman, that is true, we do choose a voluntary release. That being said, I still think if one tried, and had a military service related injury he could prove ( for example diagnosed with ptsd) after his release, I believe he would have a good chance to succeed in changing it.
But also, if theirs really no benefit to getting it changed, a hen why bother. But I’d certainly look into it if I had served 20+ yrs and was receiving a CAF pension!!

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2018-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Tue 21 Jan 2020, 14:22

You know, this is the BIG issue with medical releases in regards to PTSD, and most military veterans that do develop it

When we are exposed to a conflict, or severe trauma, and develop PTSD (whether we acknowledge it or not at the time), we decide we need to GET OUT.  
We say and do anything to speed up the release, without even realizing it, or acknowledging the mental issues. we just know we need to leave

It does not matter whether the day before you swore you were in for the long game, we make that decision, and it is mostly an unconscious decision, as we are not really aware of it.
* at least for me that was my case 28 years ago

Physical symptoms are really easy to identify, but not mental, especially if we repress it so release proceedings proceed as normal.
They let us go our merry way, and then at some later stage we might realize what we did, and what our issue really is (this can be 2,5,10 or even 20 years in the future (as in my case).
some people will never actually acknowledge it. they just know they get a pit in their stomach thinking about that time, or try to totally avoid anything military

However, it is still really a voluntary release. we chose it, they did not choose it for us.  a medical release, they choose

Iceman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2016-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Tue 21 Jan 2020, 13:36

Gunner8 wrote:But their wouldn’t really be any benefit for me to change my release would it?

Other then the automatic indexing of the CAF pension I don't really see any other benefit of a medical discharge. But like I said it's not a stupid question to ask.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Tue 21 Jan 2020, 13:23

But their wouldn’t really be any benefit for me to change my release would it?

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Tue 21 Jan 2020, 13:21

CPP D is Canada Pension Plan Disability

Yes the CAF pension is the 20 year pension I was referring to. But with only 7 years service you did not qualify for a pension.

With nothing on your military medical file CAF will most likely deny your change of release. But it wouldn't hurt to try. It's worth the attempt with little to nothing to worry about because as they say....

"The only stupid question is the question you don't ask" and trust me I have asked a lot of stupid questions over the last 22 years. Some panned out in my favor but I wasn't disappointed or upset when the answer was "no" because I asked.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Tue 21 Jan 2020, 13:02

Teentitan, I don’t have any medical evidence before the release, but I was diagnosed with PTSD after I got , which was related my Afghanistan tour.
Is the pension your talking about the pension you get after Serving 20-25 years +? Because I served 7 years, and I am now on IRB and ASPC.
I am also deemed DEC. What is CPP D?

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Tue 21 Jan 2020, 11:02

Gunner you can try, emphasis on "try", to change your release from CAF from voluntary to medical if you have in your medical records any mention of PTSD or in a serious accident that caused head trama (like a roadside IED). Without any medical evidence before your release I don't think you would have any chance.

The benefit of a medical release is your pension (if you are in receipt of a CAF pension) is automatically indexed. That is the biggest benefit.

If work is a no go in your future then you might want to look into applying for CPP D. Yes your CAF pension is decreased because of the bridging but in the end a person 99.9% of the time come out ahead by as little as $100 to $400 (give or take) a month.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Mon 20 Jan 2020, 21:51

I’m not sure if their is any benefit. Was just wondering if maybe anyone else have done it in the past, and if so, why would they do it? But their probably isn’t a benefit. Was just curious.

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Mon 20 Jan 2020, 17:25

Iceman/Gunner8 - Iceman, I’m with you there. Same here, got out voluntarily in 01, 3 yrs after my task as a Swiss Air searcher. I knew it was time to go, as mentally I didn’t have it anymore. But I never brought it up on release. It was close to 8 yrs later, when I decided to go to DVA. So I’m not sure it matters Gunner8. Being out for along time, I’m not sure how the medical release system works now. Physical injuries are probably a different Story..VVV
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Mon 20 Jan 2020, 14:10

Gunner, is there any benefit?
I released in 1992 voluntarily after the gulf war, and got diagnosed with PTSD in 2014 (it was completely repressed)
i feel i still get the benefits i deserve

Iceman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2016-05-03

Back to top Go down

Release  Empty Release

Post by Gunner8 Mon 20 Jan 2020, 10:43

Good day, I have a question regarding release. I released voluntarily in 2009. I was later diagnosed with ptsd in 2013. Is it possible to get my release changed to medical? Thanks

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down