Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Change of Release Help

3 posters

Go down

Change of Release Help Empty Re: Change of Release Help

Post by Ex Member Wed 24 Aug 2016, 17:55

short of 10 years service I'm affair you are out of luck buds . however if you were not given a medical release and believe they should have id be addressing that regardless .

propat

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Panserbjørn Wed 24 Aug 2016, 16:46

bigrex wrote:Vet1234, an immediate annuity, is what they call the military pension. For those that are medically released after serving between 10 and 20 years, they are entitled to their CF pension right away, versus waiting until age 60. The bench mark is 40% of the average best 5 years of your career for 20 years of service. The problem is that the pension is reduced by 2% for every year under 20 years served, for those that are medically released. So if you had 10 years completed, your pension would 20%. But if you were already given a return of contributions, the release centre is saying that you didn't even serve 10 years, so even if you get your release note changed, I'm not sure it will benefit you in any way.

I am in the process of sending away from my transfer value but there is an option of

"Medical Retirement (Immediate Annuity)
CFSA Part I Members– Unreduced annuity payable immediately to Part I contributors who have at least 10
years of pensionable service and are released on medical grounds (Item 3 of Queen's Regulations and Orders)
Medical Retirement (Immediate Annuity)
CFSA Part I.1 members – Unreduced annuity payable immediately to Part I.1 participants who have at least 2
years of pensionable service in the case of an approved medical retirement. See note 3."

Would I qualify for the second immediate annuity or would I need to apply for an approved medical retirement or am I screwed now that I am medically released already?

So confused by all this.

- Panserbjørn

Panserbjørn
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2016-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 08 Aug 2016, 12:33

Vet1234, an immediate annuity, is what they call the military pension. For those that are medically released after serving between 10 and 20 years, they are entitled to their CF pension right away, versus waiting until age 60. The bench mark is 40% of the average best 5 years of your career for 20 years of service. The problem is that the pension is reduced by 2% for every year under 20 years served, for those that are medically released. So if you had 10 years completed, your pension would 20%. But if you were already given a return of contributions, the release centre is saying that you didn't even serve 10 years, so even if you get your release note changed, I'm not sure it will benefit you in any way.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Mon 08 Aug 2016, 08:43

Funny you mention that.... My med docs were in the process of being digitized at the time of posting and release.. They were MIA for about 2 years. I'm not sure what an "immediate annuity" is? Also what is the release section and how do I contact them?
I received my return of contributions which I transferred to a private Locked in RRSP.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 08 Aug 2016, 01:02

Vet, the only time that I know of, where the release note was changed after release, was because the medical paperwork was lost in the system, while the release was processed. But if you if you were placed on Pcat, triggering the DmedPol review, but released prior to getting their decision, you may be able to get it changed, and qualify for an immediate annuity. I would call the release section, and tell them what is going on. they may be able to point you in the right direction.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Sun 07 Aug 2016, 11:23

Fantastic! Thank you. I released in 2010 voluntarily. I was on a 2 year TOS after completing 10. I went to apply for parental leave and the clerk told me my TOS was invalid. It was signed and approved by my former CO and I had been posted and spent a year working "without valid TOS" according to my new orderly room. 2 weeks before going on leave, I was cornered and signed a 5 year, which I broke shortly after my parental leave. A year later (already released) I received a letter from DMED POL in Ottawa which said I was medically unfit to work in the CF. It'd be fantastic to have my release reflect that, but all the hurdles and bureaucracy is killing me. I received a 55% DA a few years ago, tried VOC rehab and wasn't going as planned. Recently my psych recommended that I don't go back. Applied for PIA a few months ago and denied. Now I have a psych assessment next month and am praying that VAC does their job and I can get on EELB.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2016, 10:52

It is possible and best done before your release.  You can submit a redress of grievance only if you are not yet released.

Release Category

I am not satisfied with my release category. How can I get it changed?

Should you decide to file a redress of grievance, you should ensure that you do so before your release takes effect. Once you have been released from the Canadian Forces, you will no longer be able to file a redress of grievance. However, any redress filed before your release will still be considered. (Refer to Chapter 7 of the Queen’s Regulations and Orders for more information.)
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-queens-regulations-orders-vol-01/toc-07.page

If you are a former member of the Canadian Forces, you can forward your concerns in writing to the Director General Military Careers for review.

http://www.ombudsman.forces.gc.ca/en/ombudsman-questions-complaints-faq/index.page#ReleaseCategory

The best way is to file your redress of grievance before your release however, if your already out the door you have one more option and that option is to contact  in writing to the Director General Military Careers for review.

One other point here is that you need not have to be medically released to apply and receive Disability Benefits.

Disability Benefits
Disability benefits are financial payments provided to individuals who have a service-related disability.

To receive a disability benefit you must:
1. have a diagnosed medical condition or disability; and
2. be able to show that the condition or disability is related to your service.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/after-injury/disability-benefits

Back to top Go down

Change of Release Help Empty Change of Release Help

Post by Vet1234 Sun 07 Aug 2016, 09:36

Has anyone ever tried to Change their release type after they released? Any luck? Advice?
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down