Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VAC Education funding

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

VAC Education funding Empty VAC funding

Post by Trevge1 Thu 25 Jun 2020, 01:43

There are certain things that you have to do before the ten year mark of your release, at least i think that is the final date for a lot of things. There might still be things that you could apply for. There is a tool when you log in, that lets you find out what you can apply for. It’s right on the main page when you log in.

Trevge1
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2020-06-21

Back to top Go down

VAC Education funding Empty Re: VAC Education funding

Post by Unknown Soldier Wed 24 Jun 2020, 17:51

Trevge1 wrote:Here’s the link. It’s been around for awhile. I have also talked to case managers about it. I haven’t had a case manager in long time, so I called the Vac line, and they passed me through to who ever was free. I explained that what o wanted and they directed me to this.  
https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/forms/document/594
Here’s the link to the info on short courses.  You have to scroll down until you find it.
https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/education-and-jobs/back-to-school/education-training-benefit
ah, l was shown the door before 06
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 608
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Trevge1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

VAC Education funding Empty Short courses

Post by Trevge1 Wed 24 Jun 2020, 14:07

Here’s the link. It’s been around for awhile. I have also talked to case managers about it. I haven’t had a case manager in long time, so I called the Vac line, and they passed me through to who ever was free. I explained that what o wanted and they directed me to this.
https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/forms/document/594
Here’s the link to the info on short courses. You have to scroll down until you find it.
https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/education-and-jobs/back-to-school/education-training-benefit

Trevge1
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Wed 24 Jun 2020, 10:59

Trevge1 wrote:The whole reason I wrote this, is to ask others their thoughts on what they would do.  Yes I am not looking to rock the boat.  VAC offers courses for people to learn hobbies and other skills.  I am still looking for someone that had gone through this process to see if it is worth it or if it is too risky. I am leaning on the risky side. Which is what I want to avoid. But if it’s easy to take a short course and not have anything expected or any negative attention from VAC, then I’m all for it.  It seems like no one I personally know has gone through anything like this. Which also kinda hints at it being  not a good idea. Lol.  
where did you originally find the information of VAC authorizing these “ short courses”, l have never heard anything like it before. Perhaps not many other vets have either, which is why there are so few success stories. I am floored at the injured vets l run into that still do not know what benefits or quality of life apparatus they are entitled to.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

VAC Education funding Empty Funding.

Post by Trevge1 Wed 24 Jun 2020, 01:23

The whole reason I wrote this, is to ask others their thoughts on what they would do. Yes I am not looking to rock the boat. VAC offers courses for people to learn hobbies and other skills. I am still looking for someone that had gone through this process to see if it is worth it or if it is too risky. I am leaning on the risky side. Which is what I want to avoid. But if it’s easy to take a short course and not have anything expected or any negative attention from VAC, then I’m all for it. It seems like no one I personally know has gone through anything like this. Which also kinda hints at it being not a good idea. Lol.

Trevge1
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Tue 23 Jun 2020, 21:03

johnny211 wrote:Unknown Soldier - I agree with you on not messing with ones DEC designation. Call me paranoid. I’ve been Dec for a few yrs. I would have very little trust in asking Vac for any crse. If a Dec Vet wanted to do a small crse, they should do it on the side themselves, or maybe volunteer at something if they can.
  I feel if one involved Vac, the wrong note could go on their file, then if a Vac employee took it the wrong way, that could lead them to relook at yr dec designation. Just my take on it. Personally I’m too fracked mentally and physically to do a crse at this stage, but we all have different goals. VVV...
exactly, I know vets who have been DEC for years, they never hear from VAC , others have been reassessed at the 2 year mark. I say let sleeping dogs lie before VAC starts asking “ if you can do that, why can’t you do this” etc. I’ve talked to veterans who did vocational rehabilitation testing and failed both the physical and mental sessions and VAC’s DEC board still found them “ eligible to find gainful employment.” Every veteran s journey is there own, personally I have yet to find something that will help me better cope with my PTSD, but if I did, VAC would be the last organization l would be telling.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Tue 23 Jun 2020, 20:09

Unknown Soldier - I agree with you on not messing with ones DEC designation. Call me paranoid. I’ve been Dec for a few yrs. I would have very little trust in asking Vac for any crse. If a Dec Vet wanted to do a small crse, they should do it on the side themselves, or maybe volunteer at something if they can.
I feel if one involved Vac, the wrong note could go on their file, then if a Vac employee took it the wrong way, that could lead them to relook at yr dec designation. Just my take on it. Personally I’m too fracked mentally and physically to do a crse at this stage, but we all have different goals. VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Tue 23 Jun 2020, 17:58

bigrex wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:
bigrex wrote:I'm not sure if those would get approved. Typically, they want you to be working towards something, like a degree, or a diploma. But honestly, sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to what they pay for, and what they won't. I'm assessed at well over 100% and DEC, and I've been told by several doctors that I need to lose weight, but VAC would not help pay for a weight loss program, even one run through the hospital. And because of an approved lower back condition, I cannot lay down flat in bed. But VAC refused to purchase a termper-pedic bed that cost a few thousand dollars. Instead they paid several thousand for a hospital bed, that is barely big enough just for me. Meaning that because of their bureaucracy, I haven't been able to sleep in the same room, let alone same bed as my wife,  for several years.
what do you mean by a weight loss program, .? I have heard of them paying for gym memberships

There is 6 month program run by the Capital Health, that costs $3000. They provide you protein shakes, which is all you are allowed to eat or drink, other than water for the first month. You start with a maximum of 1000 calories per day, and are closely monitored  by a doctor, dietician and a physical therapist every week. And if they suspect that you are not following the rules, you are kicked from the program, and they keep the money.  It's not meant for people who are just trying to get their bathing suit figure back.
if a dr approves it how can vac deny it, l read of so many people getting shot down for this or that, l just buy all my apparatus myself. Yes it all adds up but I just can’t handle the denial and/or wait times. Yeah, the justification for the hospital bed is “ you have the injury not your wife”, how lame, those beds that enable you to adjust top and bottom, separately are probably cheaper, but VAC is just so pig headed.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 23 Jun 2020, 16:39

Unknown Soldier wrote:
bigrex wrote:I'm not sure if those would get approved. Typically, they want you to be working towards something, like a degree, or a diploma. But honestly, sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to what they pay for, and what they won't. I'm assessed at well over 100% and DEC, and I've been told by several doctors that I need to lose weight, but VAC would not help pay for a weight loss program, even one run through the hospital. And because of an approved lower back condition, I cannot lay down flat in bed. But VAC refused to purchase a termper-pedic bed that cost a few thousand dollars. Instead they paid several thousand for a hospital bed, that is barely big enough just for me. Meaning that because of their bureaucracy, I haven't been able to sleep in the same room, let alone same bed as my wife,  for several years.
what do you mean by a weight loss program, .? I have heard of them paying for gym memberships

There is 6 month program run by the Capital Health, that costs $3000. They provide you protein shakes, which is all you are allowed to eat or drink, other than water for the first month. You start with a maximum of 1000 calories per day, and are closely monitored  by a doctor, dietician and a physical therapist every week. And if they suspect that you are not following the rules, you are kicked from the program, and they keep the money. It's not meant for people who are just trying to get their bathing suit figure back.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Tue 23 Jun 2020, 15:38

Trevge1 wrote:That is terrible. I’ve been assessed the same as you. Lol. I’d be 132 percent if I was able to get it. So VAC has short courses. They are meant for us to be able to find something to do while we are at home.  Here’s what I found on short term courses.
What is a short-term course?

Short-term courses include:

entrepreneurial boot camps,
community school courses such as photography, woodworking, and art classes,
business development workshops and seminars, and
instructor certification courses such as life coach, dance, fitness and yoga.
To be considered for funding short-term courses must:

be provided by a recognized organization, community-based group or individual,
be offered and available to a broad population of Veterans and/or the general Canadian public,
be provided either online or in a public forum,
be publicly advertised and accessible by the general public, and
include information that indicates who provides the course, where it is being offered, how it is being delivered, how much it costs, etc.
Can I take more than one short-term course?

VAC will provide a maximum of $5,217.28 (2020) for short-term courses for personal development. This can be used at different times and for additional courses.

Is there a completion bonus?

Yes. When you complete your diploma, degree, professional designation, or certification for the program that you participated in under the ETB, you may be eligible to receive a one-time taxable benefit of $1,000.

Will I receive a completion bonus for a short-term course?

No. Short-term courses do not qualify for the completion bonus.

So it looks like they are giving me permission to attend full time. But like you said, if I did that they would expect me to go back to work. Which I can’t do.  Sooo I’ll have to ask around and see what others have done.
would it not make sense to use some of the money you are given for your various disabilities,dec, and just pay yourself and not involve VAC especially if these course are just for you to keep your sanity. Personally if l was in your boat and DEC , the last thing l would want to do is get a few week life coach certificate and then have VAC tell me to use it to earn a living and then cut off my permanent IRB,
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Tue 23 Jun 2020, 15:31

Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

VAC Education funding Empty Wow

Post by Trevge1 Mon 22 Jun 2020, 17:49

That is terrible. I’ve been assessed the same as you. Lol. I’d be 132 percent if I was able to get it. So VAC has short courses. They are meant for us to be able to find something to do while we are at home. Here’s what I found on short term courses.
What is a short-term course?

Short-term courses include:

entrepreneurial boot camps,
community school courses such as photography, woodworking, and art classes,
business development workshops and seminars, and
instructor certification courses such as life coach, dance, fitness and yoga.
To be considered for funding short-term courses must:

be provided by a recognized organization, community-based group or individual,
be offered and available to a broad population of Veterans and/or the general Canadian public,
be provided either online or in a public forum,
be publicly advertised and accessible by the general public, and
include information that indicates who provides the course, where it is being offered, how it is being delivered, how much it costs, etc.
Can I take more than one short-term course?

VAC will provide a maximum of $5,217.28 (2020) for short-term courses for personal development. This can be used at different times and for additional courses.

Is there a completion bonus?

Yes. When you complete your diploma, degree, professional designation, or certification for the program that you participated in under the ETB, you may be eligible to receive a one-time taxable benefit of $1,000.

Will I receive a completion bonus for a short-term course?

No. Short-term courses do not qualify for the completion bonus.

So it looks like they are giving me permission to attend full time. But like you said, if I did that they would expect me to go back to work. Which I can’t do. Sooo I’ll have to ask around and see what others have done.

Trevge1
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 22 Jun 2020, 12:51

I'm not sure if those would get approved. Typically, they want you to be working towards something, like a degree, or a diploma. But honestly, sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to what they pay for, and what they won't. I'm assessed at well over 100% and DEC, and I've been told by several doctors that I need to lose weight, but VAC would not help pay for a weight loss program, even one run through the hospital. And because of an approved lower back condition, I cannot lay down flat in bed. But VAC refused to purchase a termper-pedic bed that cost a few thousand dollars. Instead they paid several thousand for a hospital bed, that is barely big enough just for me. Meaning that because of their bureaucracy, I haven't been able to sleep in the same room, let alone same bed as my wife, for several years.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

VAC Education funding Empty Courses

Post by Trevge1 Mon 22 Jun 2020, 11:51

I was hoping to take some short courses on music theory and a couple if other courses like that. I’m not sure it’s more than a couple of weeks at a time, in the evenings for an hour or two a week type of thing.

Trevge1
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 22 Jun 2020, 11:30

Ok, that could complicate things. Because if you are deemed DEC, it's because you cannot maintain gainful employment. So the problem is, if you successfully complete a course, that takes several months or longer, VAC could turn around and question the DEC determination, Placing some of your benefits, that are dependent of being deemed severely and permanently disabled, at risk. So what exactly are you hoping to take in school?
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next