Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disability benefits.

3 posters

Go down

Disability benefits.  Empty Re: Disability benefits.

Post by Guest Thu 05 Nov 2020, 10:12

Happen to me! I never questioned it! Seems so unfair.

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Thu 05 Nov 2020, 09:25

MattDamon wrote:Hey guys and gals,

Quick question for you. I have a buddy who is also a veteran and we were having a conversation about benefits and he asked me a question that I had absolutely no idea on the answer. He isn't an internet or social media person, he avoids it like the plague as he finds it mostly negative and it doesn't help his mental health. So I told him that I would ask on here to see if anyone has any insight.

He is well over 100% disability and is DEC with little to no chance on ever going back to work. He also knows that he is completely maxed out money wise but can still apply to all his medical expenses are covered for any new approvals.

This is basically what came up in our conversation.

He was wondering if someone has lets say..  10% on the old charter and get a monthly payment for life and 85% on the lump sum system and zero on the new system. Would that person be eligible for 15% or 5% if ever they were approved for an injury related to their service?

Again this was just something that popped up in conversation and we figure we would ask so we can store the answer in our "temporarily useless info" part of our brains incase one of your friends we served with ever asked us the question.

Thanks for any insight you may have.

Cheers and I hope everyone is staying safe during this messed up time.
l don’t know if this helps but this is what happened to a friend of mine, she was listed as 95% disabled, she had 2 claims pending, one was totally new, the other was based on an original claim that was denied decades earlier. If VAC had adjudicated the older claim first and it was found to be favourable to the veteran, she would have been entitled to 3 years of back pay because the injury was tied to a claim submitted under the PA. In addition, even if the claim was favourable at say 30%, she would have only gotten, a 5% increase in disability payment, but being under the PA that would mean she would have been listed at 100% disabled but given a monthly amount because she has a spouse and 3 kids, and this would continue until she died, probably amounted to 50000,? Over time.....instead VAC adjudicated the new claim at 15%, gave her a lump sum of 5% and called it a day. both claims had gone in together, and had the same stage 3 date, but essentially VAC robbed her of thousands of dollars over her lifetime.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 609
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by MattDamon Thu 05 Nov 2020, 00:26

Thanks Iceman and that's what we figured but wanted to make sure!

MattDamon
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2017-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Thu 05 Nov 2020, 00:07

If he is 10% on the PA, and had 85% as a lump sum, the total percentage is 95%.

The maximum award that would be paid out is 5%.

However, any Additional claims, even though they won’t get paid out, would still be covered for health payments.

On a side note, if he got 85% lump sum, he should also be getting some additional monthly payments as a pension for life adjustment.

Iceman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2016-05-03

Back to top Go down

Disability benefits.  Empty Disability benefits.

Post by MattDamon Wed 04 Nov 2020, 23:18

Hey guys and gals,

Quick question for you. I have a buddy who is also a veteran and we were having a conversation about benefits and he asked me a question that I had absolutely no idea on the answer. He isn't an internet or social media person, he avoids it like the plague as he finds it mostly negative and it doesn't help his mental health. So I told him that I would ask on here to see if anyone has any insight.

He is well over 100% disability and is DEC with little to no chance on ever going back to work. He also knows that he is completely maxed out money wise but can still apply to all his medical expenses are covered for any new approvals.

This is basically what came up in our conversation.

He was wondering if someone has lets say..  10% on the old charter and get a monthly payment for life and 85% on the lump sum system and zero on the new system. Would that person be eligible for 15% or 5% if ever they were approved for an injury related to their service?

Again this was just something that popped up in conversation and we figure we would ask so we can store the answer in our "temporarily useless info" part of our brains incase one of your friends we served with ever asked us the question.

Thanks for any insight you may have.

Cheers and I hope everyone is staying safe during this messed up time.

MattDamon
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2017-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down