Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DEC “ off set “ by pension question

+3
Kramer
AirLog
Unknown Soldier
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

DEC “ off set “ by pension question - Page 2 Empty Re: DEC “ off set “ by pension question

Post by Unknown Soldier Sun 07 Feb 2021, 11:44

Riddick wrote:Every little bit helps.....

"Offsets

The benefit is offset by other income sources, such as amounts paid to you through the Canadian Forces Superannuation Act, commonly known as a military pension.

To encourage activities that are beneficial and meaningful such as a part-time job, the Income Replacement Benefit will allow you to earn up to $20,000 (2021) per year from employment before any offsets are applied."

Riddick
yes, l read about that, like a veteran could have some kind of home business and earn up to $20000 before they would have to claim it against their DEC, but what if that veteran brought home $80,000 how is that “ off set” ?
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 608
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

DEC “ off set “ by pension question - Page 2 Empty Re: DEC “ off set “ by pension question

Post by Unknown Soldier Sun 07 Feb 2021, 11:41

AirLog wrote:Good morning Unknown Soldier,

Go to this policy pare 91, https://www.veterans.gc.ca//pdf/about-vac/legislation-policies/policies/doc2829-income-replacement-benefit-25112020-eng.pdf. It may assist in explaining the offset policy.

AirLog
thanks, but from the link it’s not really showing me what you’re referring to ,lol, l don’t know where to go?
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Sun 07 Feb 2021, 10:54

Every little bit helps.....

"Offsets

The benefit is offset by other income sources, such as amounts paid to you through the Canadian Forces Superannuation Act, commonly known as a military pension.

To encourage activities that are beneficial and meaningful such as a part-time job, the Income Replacement Benefit will allow you to earn up to $20,000 (2021) per year from employment before any offsets are applied."

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 670
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Sun 07 Feb 2021, 10:25

Good morning Unknown Soldier,

Go to this policy pare 91, https://www.veterans.gc.ca//pdf/about-vac/legislation-policies/policies/doc2829-income-replacement-benefit-25112020-eng.pdf. It may assist in explaining the offset policy.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2017-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Sat 06 Feb 2021, 19:05

AirLog wrote:Hi Unknown Soldier,

Be very careful here. Offsets are identified in the legislation. I am DEC with a private disability insurance with a private pension at 65. I will be electing to defer my private pension until a later date as it will be an offset to my IRB. The longer I defer the greater the pension. If I take a lump sum I must declare it to VAC as it will have an effect on my IRB. Better to read the legislation and do the math how it specifically pertains to an individuals situation. Lots to consider but don't blindly jump into any offsets without doing due diligence.

AirLog
l think the question being asked was , if the civilian pension amounted to $500 a month, then the math was easy, the veterans DEC amount would then be reduced by $500 a month, but what if the veteran declares to VAC that they have taken home $150,000...how do you “ off set” that against a DEC monthly amount that may only be $1500 a month?
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Sat 06 Feb 2021, 18:34

Hi Unknown Soldier,

Be very careful here. Offsets are identified in the legislation. I am DEC with a private disability insurance with a private pension at 65. I will be electing to defer my private pension until a later date as it will be an offset to my IRB. The longer I defer the greater the pension. If I take a lump sum I must declare it to VAC as it will have an effect on my IRB. Better to read the legislation and do the math how it specifically pertains to an individuals situation. Lots to consider but don't blindly jump into any offsets without doing due diligence.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2017-11-19

Back to top Go down

DEC “ off set “ by pension question - Page 2 Empty DEC “ off set “ by pension question

Post by Unknown Soldier Sat 06 Feb 2021, 13:50

Here is an interesting question l saw posted somewhere else but no one seemed to have the answer:
The veteran had a Diminished Earning Capability status and was getting a rate of Income Replacement Benefit til age 65 before it would be reduced.
However prior to ending up with a DEC they once held civilian employment long enough to now be entitled to a pension.
The veteran said they were aware that if they took a monthly pension from that civi job, the amount of new taxable income coming in, would be “ off set” or reduce their DEC entitlement by the same amount. So they never end up with more money than whatever the monthly DEC amount is.
But the veteran said they also have the option to take the pension all at once in a one time lump sum payment that could be anywhere from $100000-200000.
The vet was wondering how VAC would “ off set “ DEC by an amount that great when it might equal 2-3 years of monthly DEC payments.
Anyone ever heard of anything like that before ?.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2