Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2023 Rates

3 posters

Go down

2023 Rates Empty Re: 2023 Rates

Post by Lordporky Wed 21 Dec 2022, 14:04

I just checked again today and now the IRB shows a 15% increase in January. No explanation yet.

Lordporky
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2020-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt Wed 21 Dec 2022, 11:05

Lordporky wrote:hey, I appreciate the feedback and efforts to clarify.

I think there is a math error on VACs part. It's more than just a rounding difference.

I get an amount for PSC/APSC and an amount for IRB. MyVAC account shows the monthly amounts for 2022 and the "gross entitlement" amount with is for the next payment in Jan 2023 (this was confirmed through email conversation by VAC).

My PSC/APSC shows an increase of 6.6% (6.6 is what VAC is using for indexing - also confirmed via email by VAC). however the IRB shows the January increase is a 3.18% increase.

Of course I'm grateful for any increase, we are lucky it is indexed. I just want to understand what is going on. I wish they would just make the calculations transparent.

In your case you need to address the indexing amount. Wait until end January when the pay gets deposited. My numbers were correct. All your VAC amounts should be the same

derngt
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Lordporky likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lordporky Wed 21 Dec 2022, 11:01

hey, I appreciate the feedback and efforts to clarify.

I think there is a math error on VACs part. It's more than just a rounding difference.

I get an amount for PSC/APSC and an amount for IRB. MyVAC account shows the monthly amounts for 2022 and the "gross entitlement" amount with is for the next payment in Jan 2023 (this was confirmed through email conversation by VAC).

My PSC/APSC shows an increase of 6.6% (6.6 is what VAC is using for indexing - also confirmed via email by VAC). however the IRB shows the January increase is a 3.18% increase.

Of course I'm grateful for any increase, we are lucky it is indexed. I just want to understand what is going on. I wish they would just make the calculations transparent.

Lordporky
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt Wed 21 Dec 2022, 10:47

derngt wrote:
Xnurse wrote:Didn’t mean to offend, just trying to express my understanding of the issue. I’ll check out the Facebook page for clarification. I’m not having any panic attacks, thanks for thinking of me. 
derngt wrote:
Xnurse wrote:My understanding of this situation is that VAC, in their infinite capacity for dumbass planning, created an ongoing discrepancy between their programs and the programs vets receive from other agencies. VAC annual indexation is based on the same Consumer Price Index calculation as SISIP, CPP, and CAF pension, but they do the calculations based on numbers from October to November, while everyone else uses CPI from September through October of the previous year. Therefore VAC rates are likely to be either slightly higher or lower than every other benefit indexation vets receive. Then the Department has to calculate the difference between the Veterans benefits from other departments compared to their IRB total, which is increased by their slightly different numbers. This is why every year in January, benefits calculated by vets are offset slightly from what everyone expects. I provide a simplified example below based off my income streams:

My 2021 -           2022 with 6.3% used by everyone else but VAC

CPP -              200.                    212.6
CAF Pension-   200.                    212.6
SISIP -            200.                   212.6
VAC IRB -        400.                   (Would expect 425.2 at same rate as everyone else) but actually 427.2 since it must include all other incomes streams as offsets.

VAC total 2021 for IRB 1000     - 2022 with VAC at 6.5% = 1065

Of course, in future years the discrepancy may result in less increase from VAC if the inflation number of the month that is different in each calculation is lower than the one used by every other department.

It’s quite confusing. It took my a lot of research to figure out why every benefit wasn’t increasing in line with the others, but it’s actually only the VAC ones that are different for my situation. And yes, I did bring this to the attention of the ministers office when they published the new legislation which created this problem. They weren’t interested.

What point are you trying to make. Just because the calculation doesnt lineup with how you want them to be doesnt make it wrongs. Our VAC this year will be 6.5% compared to our CFSA of 6.33%. That's a win. Oh by the way our CPP/CPPD/OAS are in line with how VAC does the calculation. It is OUR CFSA that calculates our indexing differently. SO you are having a panic attack and blaming the wrong agency. Furthermore our SISIP/Manulife is maxed at 2%. If you need to see how it all gets calculated go to the CVA page on Facebook.

You know what, I should not have commented like I did. I apologize. You were just going after VAC without actually having all the details. The difference between the 2 numbers are so low and really isnt a issue. We are fortunate to even get our money indexed. Now you want to be angry get angry at SISIP

Just go to Canadian Veteran advocacy on Facebook and join the group. Ive been tracking the monthly CPI for years. Still not sure why CFSA calculates it different from all the other ones. The ministry wont deal with it because its really a non issue.

derngt
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Dec 2022, 10:38

derngt wrote:
Xnurse wrote:Didn’t mean to offend, just trying to express my understanding of the issue. I’ll check out the Facebook page for clarification. I’m not having any panic attacks, thanks for thinking of me. 
derngt wrote:
Xnurse wrote:My understanding of this situation is that VAC, in their infinite capacity for dumbass planning, created an ongoing discrepancy between their programs and the programs vets receive from other agencies. VAC annual indexation is based on the same Consumer Price Index calculation as SISIP, CPP, and CAF pension, but they do the calculations based on numbers from October to November, while everyone else uses CPI from September through October of the previous year. Therefore VAC rates are likely to be either slightly higher or lower than every other benefit indexation vets receive. Then the Department has to calculate the difference between the Veterans benefits from other departments compared to their IRB total, which is increased by their slightly different numbers. This is why every year in January, benefits calculated by vets are offset slightly from what everyone expects. I provide a simplified example below based off my income streams:

VAC IRB -        400.                   (Would expect 425.2 at same rate as everyone else) but actually 427.2 since it must include all other incomes streams as offsets.

Of course, in future years the discrepancy may result in less increase from VAC if the inflation number of the month that is different in each calculation is lower than the one used by every other department.

It’s quite confusing. It took my a lot of research to figure out why every benefit wasn’t increasing in line with the others, but it’s actually only the VAC ones that are different for my situation. And yes, I did bring this to the attention of the ministers office when they published the new legislation which created this problem. They weren’t interested.

What point are you trying to make. Just because the calculation doesnt lineup with how you want them to be doesnt make it wrongs. Our VAC this year will be 6.5% compared to our CFSA of 6.33%. That's a win. Oh by the way our CPP/CPPD/OAS are in line with how VAC does the calculation. It is OUR CFSA that calculates our indexing differently. SO you are having a panic attack and blaming the wrong agency. Furthermore our SISIP/Manulife is maxed at 2%. If you need to see how it all gets calculated go to the CVA page on Facebook.

You know what, I should not have commented like I did. I apologize. You were just going after VAC without actually having all the details. The difference between the 2 numbers are so low and really issue. We are fortunate to even get our money indexed. Now you want to be angry get angry at SISIP
I agree that we’re lucky to receive indexed benefits, I’m actually not angry most days. When I did the research I based it on the online legislation and policies I could find. Not trying to go after anyone, just trying to understand why there wasn’t a linear increase in all the different benefits that all supposedly use the same index number. Can you send me a link to the CVA Facebook explanation please? Can’t find anything.

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt Wed 21 Dec 2022, 10:31

derngt wrote:

You know what, I should not have commented like I did. I apologize. You were just going after VAC without actually having all the details. The difference between the 2 numbers are so low and really isnt a issue. We are fortunate to even get our money indexed. Now you want to be angry get angry at SISIP

derngt
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Dec 2022, 10:27

Didn’t mean to offend, just trying to express my understanding of the issue. I’ll check out the Facebook page for clarification. I’m not having any panic attacks, thanks for thinking of me. 
derngt wrote:

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt Wed 21 Dec 2022, 10:18

derngt
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

2023 Rates Empty Different rates

Post by Guest Wed 21 Dec 2022, 10:02

My understanding of this situation is that VAC, in their infinite capacity for dumbass planning, created an ongoing discrepancy between their programs and the programs vets receive from other agencies. VAC annual indexation is based on the same Consumer Price Index calculation as SISIP, CPP, and CAF pension, but they do the calculations based on numbers from October to November, while everyone else uses CPI from September through October of the previous year. Therefore VAC rates are likely to be either slightly higher or lower than every other benefit indexation vets receive. Then the Department has to calculate the difference between the Veterans benefits from other departments compared to their IRB total, which is increased by their slightly different numbers. This is why every year in January, benefits calculated by vets are offset slightly from what everyone expects. I provide a simplified example below based off my income streams:

My 2021 - 2022 with 6.3% used by everyone else but VAC

CPP - 200. 212.6
CAF Pension- 200. 212.6
SISIP - 200. 212.6
VAC IRB - 400. (Would expect 425.2 at same rate as everyone else) but actually 427.2 since it must include all other incomes streams as offsets.

VAC total 2021 for IRB 1000 - 2022 with VAC at 6.5% = 1065

Back to top Go down

Post by Lordporky Tue 13 Dec 2022, 11:07

derngt wrote:
Lordporky wrote:My understanding is that the index rate for 2023 is 6.3%.
I checked myvac account and it shows my PSC is set to increase by 6.6% and my IRB by 3.18%.
Anyone else’s numbers looking funky or know what’s going on here?

The numbers will all be the same for any VAC indexing.It should be 6.5% plus or minus. It should sourt itself out

Should be all the same but right now they’re not. I’ll follow up in January if they still are off I guess

Lordporky
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt Tue 13 Dec 2022, 10:48

Lordporky wrote:My understanding is that the index rate for 2023 is 6.3%.
I checked myvac account and it shows my PSC is set to increase by 6.6% and my IRB by 3.18%.

The numbers will all be the same for any VAC indexing.It should be 6.5% plus or minus. It should sourt itself out

derngt
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lordporky Tue 13 Dec 2022, 10:09

My understanding is that the index rate for 2023 is 6.3%.

Lordporky
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt Mon 05 Dec 2022, 09:48

Yes those rates are for your End Jan pay.

derngt
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

2023 Rates Empty 2023 Rates

Post by Kramer Sun 04 Dec 2022, 13:43

FYI

My VAC Account is showing the COLA increase
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member