Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sacrifice Medal

Go down

Sacrifice Medal  Empty Re: Sacrifice Medal

Post by Guest Sun 06 Jan 2013, 12:07

i kinda like this post and although medals are not a big concern of mine i do know they are for some.stripe ore medal may matter but from what ive read and i could be wrong here the problem is timing.administrativly some battalions were not on the ball and woulnd stipes were not applied for in some WIA cases for thoes that would have qualified and now it is to late as they are no longer issued.also these same people cant get the meadal becouse the date they were WIA.my thoughts if these peeps qualify and actually want an award for this they should be given one ore the other.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Jan 2013, 11:37

Thank you for this Rags and LTD4me. I did not know but now I do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rags Sun 06 Jan 2013, 11:03

At least one of us who earned a wound strip before Afganistan think the Sacrifice Medal needs to go away and the wound strip be returned to its position in the awards proticals. After a 100 years of issuing the Wound Strip for battle wounds in Boar War, WW1, WW2 and Korea it is offensive to those of us who earned it to have it replaced on a whim for a single mission. I think along with others who hold a wound strip that the Afganistan wounded be issued a Wound Strip not a sacrifice medal. I think we all appear to forget the Wound Strip was the standard identifier for WIA Wounded-In-Action since as far back as Boar war....maybe farther I dont know. I served in Yugo and qualified for a Wound Strip being wounded in action and received it. It was difficult to meet the qualifications for it as the wound strip is for WOUNDS IN ACTION, not accidents, not hit by error like the US Purple Heart. You actually have to be in battle and directly targeted as a hostile act by the Enemy. It bothers me that many people have the view that the Sacrifice medal is some how more important cause it was issued in A Stan. It bothers me to read statements by people who appear to not even know a WIA award exists for CF members and they sign petitions as if there is no Wound Strip. The facts and history of the wound strip is a century old and we never should have changed the rules to a sacrifice medal, we disrespect all hose who fell wounded before you. Just one more US approach we have slip toward.
One of the key reasons we changed to a Sacrifice Medal in my view is that soldiers wanted to see a distinct medal like the US has. Why a medal>>>so we can wear it on Rememberance Day after we are out. A wound strip is not on your medals rack but a gold bar on your sleeve. Easy to see in uniform but gone once your a civy on Remembrance Day parade (unless ya sew it on our jacket....which you supposed to do). The last reason is the qualification for a Canadian Wound Strip has been unchanged for a 100 years and was difficult to qualify for. There was pressure to change or as I would say lower the standard to ensure easier issue much like the Purple Heart......The original WIA strip did not include PTSD, or friendly fire, just some of the issues with its issue. For those who think WIA strips are not issued in YUGO your wrong there are many of us who carry the Wound Strip proudly>>>>cause we earned it. So when you talk about the Wounded In Action award specifically the Sacrifice Medal dont talk of it as if no other award exists for WIA. Dont ask for it to be back dated because you offend us that wear a WIA pre Afganistan award. I hope after Afganistan they go back to a wound strip and those who earn one in the future can stand tall with the rest of us who over 100 years of War wounds pre 2001 earned a hard to come by distinction.

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Sacrifice Medal  Empty Sacrifice Medal

Post by Guest Sun 04 Nov 2012, 16:59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down