Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Statement by the Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence

2 posters

Go down

Statement by the Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence Empty Re: Statement by the Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 16:40

Just because I don't buy the " feel sorry for me syndrome " and " I am entitled to a million dollars" group of constant complainers on here. Please enjoy life, it's short, find peace and let the hate go. I take satisfaction that the majority of CSAT forum users have common sense and recognize that this is a good deal and instead of complaining sit back and watch the clowns debate and make plans up which will have absolutely no bearing on this case. This has turned into Facebook on steroids and has chased the posters who had common sense away. Really, take a hard look in the mirror

Back to top Go down

Statement by the Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence Empty Re: Statement by the Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence

Post by ceedee Wed 13 Feb 2013, 16:15

just a ? is it possibly the goc wants the fee lower because they they will b stuck with the lega fees, as they should,
it just came to me when i read this post, i know it sounds nuts but could it

I DONT NEED ANYONE COMING ON THE OFFENCE TOWARDS ME, JUST WONDERING OR SHOULD I SAY, JUST SAYING

ceedee
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2012-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 16:14

Optics and to control the media cycle that is sure to follow i'm guessing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rags Wed 13 Feb 2013, 16:13

Ramjet and RSM Buckel up ya sound like another avatar we know......

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 16:13

I want my two dollars!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 16:11

why did they wait until the last min to challenge it ....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 16:07

A Pyrrhic victory is a victory with such a devastating cost that it carries the implication that another such victory will ultimately lead to defeat. Someone who wins a Pyrrhic victory has been victorious in some way; however, the heavy toll negates any sense of achievement or profit. Nevertheless, a Pyrrhic victory is seen as a superior result to an outright loss, at least when the battle is over a strategically valuable resource.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 16:04

love the way you think ramjet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 16:01

Hey men ......this is better than a group of well intentioned veterans ...without legal training fighting and hoping for relief.......Now we have both!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 16:00

Can I have a pair of those Rose colored Glasses lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 15:57

The GOC wants it lowered than will offer to cover the legal fees as a sign of its commitment to Canada's veterans and to close this chapter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 15:55

Good find Vall2012. I think i'll pick up a bag of popcorn and watch the fireworks tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 15:50

Yes , deal approved, legal fees have no bearing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 15:49

Question of the Day

The Legals Fees:
1. MC wants it;
2. We don't want to pay it;
3. GOC appeal It;

So, who is going to end up paying ?

Vall2012

Back to top Go down

Statement by the Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence Empty Statement by the Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 15:30

OTTAWA, ONTARIO, Feb 13, 2013 (MARKETWIRE via COMTEX) -- "Our Government has enormous respect for the men and women who have sacrificed in service of their country. Government officials have concluded discussions with the class' legal team to come to an agreement in principle in the class action of Dennis Manuge v. Her Majesty the Queen regarding the offset of Pension Act disability benefits from the Service Income Security Insurance LTD Plan (SISIP). The current estimated value of the settlement is approximately $887.8 million.

Obviously, in settling the case, we expect that as much of that settlement as possible reaches its intended beneficiaries, the veterans themselves. The Crown informed the judge that the Government of Canada will oppose the amount of legal fees ($66.6M) being sought by class members as excessive and unreasonable. Class counsel are entitled to recover reasonable legal fees for their work; however, the legal fees sought, which equates to a top hourly rate of $13,487.50, are so far beyond what can be characterized as reasonable as to be grossly excessive.

The Crown has filed submissions oppose the amount of legal fees that are being sought by class counsel on the basis that they are excessive. The issue of legal fees for class counsel was not part of the settlement agreement and will be decided separately by the Court. Our government continues to reflect and improve upon its programs dedicated to supporting Canada's ill and injured military personnel and veterans, and to provide the care that our personnel and their families deserve."

Just pick this on the wire

Vall2012

Source: DND

Last edited by Vall2012 on Wed 13 Feb 2013, 15:40; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Source provided)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down