Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legal Fees (Assorted Topics)

+27
oldsailor
Dove96
Wife of a Veteran
tiger660
1993firebird
sabrelove
ceedee
beleaf67
puddleduk2
DeeCee
Newfie
Rags
MaggieinNB
Nemo
meathead
pteadams2002
dennismanuge
froggie2u36
OldZipperhead
bigrex
sailor964
Sapper Zodiak
peep
acerman1234
K9
Teentitan
snrnavcom
31 posters

Page 65 of 67 Previous  1 ... 34 ... 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down

Legal Fees (Assorted Topics) - Page 65 Empty Re: Legal Fees (Assorted Topics)

Post by Guest Fri 12 Oct 2012, 20:00

I keep reading that sisip is misinforming people,lie, and put out a lot of misinformation. Who have you been talking to? I called the 1-800 number and asked to speak with a manager. I spoke to a Michelle, I believe she is the manager of the LTD group at Manulife in Halifax. She answered all my questions, and provided me with information wrt the way forward on the without prejudice payments, and it is the same info as put out by Peter on this blog. In addition, she told me that she the information they have on us is at the time of our reduction to zero. Sisip do not have this information. You are right in saying that without the class action, that reduction for PA would still be there. Therefore you ow a big one to Denys for his tenacity and for McInnes Cooper to believe in this cause. Leave it up to Peter to ask on our behalf a sweeter deal. Its not over yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Oct 2012, 19:37

Legal fees has this been made official the members will be paying the legal fees or will the GOC and or damages cover these cost. I believe these are still on the negotiation table. But i can remember because we have very little update.

Also there were a list of question to the lawyers for this week have they been answered and or where will they be posted???

Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Oct 2012, 19:33

Call of Duty, It is always good to save and 30 percent of your checks will be a great start, but you wont have to pay sisip back anything. Everything is coming out of your retro, you wont see it, and in the end you will be happy with your payout. You know , and i know it has not been decided yet for VAC, but most Gov depts and policy do not allow payments of retro any more. So for us , to get retro back to our start date, is really , really a great thing. The GOV could have come along and said ok, sisip clawback ends, going forward and that would have been perfectly legal to do. These lawyers are Canadas best class action lawyers and to win over the Gov is no small feat. We should rejouice in that they have won for us so far, i talked to sisip all the time and most of it was lies and misinformation, so none of us would have been successful trying to make them change, Hell they wont even give out our own private information, We have been told that the package is coming out first week of Dec so its done, we will see, and most of us, if not all of us will be very happy. Sisip put out alot of this misinformattion when we were calling them, they were scrambling for answers. But every thing Peter has promised has come to light, so i dont think we should get caught up in the legal fee debate, lets finish the fight and who knows what will happen. If the GOC is reading this site then they must be pretty embarassed by what has happened and the way we were jerked around. Maybe them offering something to sweeten he deal might be warranted and maybe judge Barnes after reading these posts will punish the GOC fo letting this get out of hand. ITs over . lets rejouice sit back and relax

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Oct 2012, 19:06

call
not a bad idea either way but even if you only get 2 years retro it will be more than enough to cover 6 months going forward.rough math but i belive accurate.
propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Oct 2012, 19:02

Well im saving 30% of those cheques just to be safe. I had to deal with SISIP with overpayments and i was really upset over that and dont wanna end up there again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Oct 2012, 18:59

call
the leagal team is not allowed to request leagal fees until the deal is done.the judge will decide what they will get.when he decides we will know.
hope this helps
propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Oct 2012, 18:53

There appears to be something disturbing here. i first asked should we save a percentage of our Without prejudice cheques for legal fees. this new info from peter indicates that fees can be attached to these after all is said and done. I Dont want to get into a overpayment situation as do probably others. the lack of Transparantsy on the legal fee issue has crept into our new found situation and needs clarification. No disrespect, just lawyer terms and lingo is hard to understand but thats what i have summized from your last post. Am I correct?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Oct 2012, 18:47

lol i bet and just remember what us grunts allways say when a man is down kick him kick him till you can kick no more.
propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Oct 2012, 18:40

No worries. I am really pleased for the zero sum folks who made the list, now rolling up our sleeves for the remaining members who are not. This has been no cake walk, but rather a 5 (going on 6) year legal brawl.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Oct 2012, 18:37

thanks peter
i think this is just growing pains as the site seems to be growing new members are understadably not up to speed.also sisip speculation can throw some of these guys into a bit of a panic.
thanks peter
propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Oct 2012, 18:29

Class Members:

I wanted to follow up on this post and confirm that until we appear before the Court on the final resolution of the matter, we cannot obtain fees from payments made to you the members of the Class. As such the current benefits in pay are not subject to any attachment for legal fees. At the resolution hearing the Court will decide what is fair compensation to Counsel using the factors set out below, and further the Court will decide the fairest manner in which to spread the cost of the legal fees across the class. The following is an excerpt from our previous memorandum on fees.

Hope this helps,

Peter

Clarification on Counsel Fees: Our fees do not form part of the negotiations. We are focused on getting the best resolution on the core issues we can, as quickly as we can, to benefit the members. Once we are done we will review the position on fees. Again fees are not part of the resolution discussions, as only the Court will set the fees. The fee process is completely transparent. We will give notice to the Court and to the members on the amount of the fee we are seeking. The fee request will be based on a number of factors, only one of which is the contractual percentage. Other considerations are legal precedent (what has been paid in previous cases), the risk and cost of the firm to the date of the application, the work completed (appearance in the SCC, and successful trial of the contract issue), the number of people benefiting from the class action, and the amount involved. All of the foregoing is set out in an extensive brief and affidavits which will be available for review by all members and wi ll be reviewed by the Court before the Court ultimately sets a fee that the Court decides is reasonable for the work we have done for you.[u]

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Oct 2012, 14:39

There is no way ,Peter is going to make us pay legal fees going forward, not going to happen, it will only be on retro and these guys deserve it. I would love the GOC to pay bu these guys are outstanding

Back to top Go down

Post by K9 Fri 12 Oct 2012, 14:16

Paying for the past is one thing, for the future is another!

Only time will tell. Getting claw back wasn't fair, taking a part of our future insurance money is another unfair claw back. So we will see. What about those who have been reinstated in august, they are not gonna receive the without prejudice till we think about it since it is not determined yet.
We are being asked to accept to be kept in the dark, we will have to agree on a resolution without talking about a big part of what is owed to us, and then we will have to thrust fairness! it as been 15 years I haven't seen fairness, it is like signing a blank check, I will no more.
K9
K9
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by snrnavcom Fri 12 Oct 2012, 14:13

I do not like paying for something i did get, however the legal service are outstanding. Without them we would all be zero........ From sisip

snrnavcom
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2012-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Oct 2012, 14:07

I really think they are being more then fair, not attaching legal fees to this, so it seems they will be fair, when it comes to asking for legal fees overall.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 65 of 67 Previous  1 ... 34 ... 64, 65, 66, 67  Next