Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Appeal or not!

3 posters

Go down

Appeal or not! Empty Re: Appeal or not!

Post by RCN-Retired Mon 02 Dec 2013, 03:08

If you do not have a medical diagnosis from your doctor that indicates that your PTSD is "solely caused by your military service" you need to get that. As this was advice that was given to me prior to all my appeals and was the reason that I eventually won my appeal with VAC. Good luck
RCN-Retired
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2012-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Nov 2013, 17:07

Many Thanks...Appeal it will be..

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeffery M Fri 29 Nov 2013, 15:05

Appealing a descision is a must, especially if you are not in agreement with the descision.
So do your homework. Carefully review your symptoms and compare them with VAC disability tables.
I am currently rated at 81% for PTSD thru VAC. And believe me that was not their first number. In fact it was the third.
People's eyes will glaze over when you attempt to educate them on the process and inadequecies of the system. I tell them, "Try being the Veteran, navigating thru all this hell, and with a disability!"

Have fun

Jeffery M
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2012-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Nov 2013, 19:22

RA i agree with sparrow and big rex i would appeal and apply for elb pia and the supplement. remember you can be on ELB and SISIP at the same time. big rex is right most VAC employees will not only not inform you of these programs sum will even outright lie to you by saying you are not entitled and refuse to send you the application forms ( trust me on this ). don't take no for an answer.

always question authority

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 28 Nov 2013, 19:09

RA, remember that you are still able to apply for the PIA, even if still working. This would alleviate some of your financial concerns. If your PTSD is severe, and it keeps you from maintaining gainful employment after your SISIP runs out, you can apply for ELB, which can go until 65, and the PIA supp. Unfortunately, VAC isn't informing releasing members of these other programs,beyond the disability award, that they may be entitled to, because maybe they are fearful that if too many start getting these funds, the Tories will look at further cost cutting measures that could put more VAC employees in the unemployment line.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Nov 2013, 16:20

RA, in my opinion, I would appeal based on the following. With respect to VRAB you are entitled to two appeals for pensioned or non pensioned condition. Therefore, given you are not in agreement with the percentage awarded by DVA then I would appeal at this stage. As this is a lengthy phase to begin with one of two things can be considered. First, obtain a second opinion if possible on your PTSD while you are waiting your pending appeal. Second, even if new evidence is not available at this time, you should appeal regardless. The other point to remember is that there is a second VRAB appeal available to you if the first is not to your agreement. However, if you select the second appeal it will be the final appeal available to you on that particular condition. Therefore, my recommendation would be to appeal initially with the best information available to you. I would retain the ability for a second VRAB on the PTSD for future appeal based on your opinion the condition regresses. One final point outside of an appeal is the ability to in the future request an reassessment but from my experience I have not seen great results with those but everyone's situation is different. I wish you much well deserved success. Of course, I am no expert and others may have different opinions and advice.

Back to top Go down

Appeal or not! Empty Appeal or not!

Post by Guest Thu 28 Nov 2013, 15:17

My PTSD stabilization percentage has been granted. I don't think it represents what has been going on since being diagnosed and what will happen after my 3b release.

Let's just say that after my 2 years LTD if I am kicked back to just my CF Pension the total settlement is nowhere close to my lost wages. I know it is not suppose to represent lost wages, but less earnings result in a lower QOL.

There is no "new" information WRT my PTSD..so is it worth the appeal?
Has anyone gone this route...the "I don't think it is a fair percentage" path...

Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down