Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Medal Petition

3 posters

Go down

Medal Petition Empty Re: Medal Petition

Post by Guest Wed 06 Apr 2016, 12:52

I agree with Rags, Finally lol. The wheel that has been reinvented has left it's "I need medals" tread over those that volunteered for combat back in the day when it was called WAR. I would never disrespect any soldier especially today's effort in Afghanistan, but in all reality WAR has changed, lets concentrate on making those 70,000 plus remaining WW2 veterans as comfortable as possible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rags Wed 06 Apr 2016, 10:42

Ah ....NO, if you Courageously Served this country you got a medal for what ever mission you were on to have that distinction. If you spent the full 12 years of good service ya get the CD. Back in the War years there was a Volunteer medal cause there was conscription. If you volunteered before being called you got that distinction. There is no special distinction required for volunteer today. We f - ed up enough of the medals and water down how important they are by handing them out willy nilly in the past 10 years.

Case in point....Sacrifice Medal took the place of a very proper and long history Wound Strip. For 100 years the Wound Stripe was the equal in the commonwealth of the US Purple Heart. But with A Stan they became more American and wanted a medal vice a Stripe. The real reason was due to the type of fighting many of the first injured didn't qualify for the wound stripe and as with all things A Stan way way over exaggerated.

Another Case in point A Stan was a UN mission and prosecuted by NATO so they qualified for either a UN Medal cause it was a and is still a UN mission contrary to the rhetoric we hear. Or a NATO medal instead of the UN medal........a campaign medal was stupid as it is not a campaign and all the other medals issued for the same mission is nearing stupidy of the mega. A Stan needed one medal only and it should have been a NATO or UN medal.

Dont get me started with the erosion of the Valour criteria ..... many a WW2 and Korea vet is sleeping unsettled in many an unmarked grave around the world over that erosion let alone the many soldiers who died fighting in much heaver combat then A Stan around the world but they were full up UN missions so no recognition.  
We need another medal like a hole in the head or more twinkies instead of PT.

Rags

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 01 Apr 2016, 10:26

I fully support the creation of the volunteer medal, but I fear that it will be cost prohibitive, because they would need to issue these medal to every Veteran that has served since the previous version was cancelled. No government is going to spend that kind of money for something like that, unless they have a massive surplus
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Medal Petition Empty Medal Petition

Post by Dannypaj Fri 01 Apr 2016, 08:11

This may not mean much to some but may mean the world to others and even a small token of thanks is better then no token of thanks. Take the time and sign the Petition.... And it is also a good way to differentiate a Veteran from the general public at ceremonies.  Everyone's contributions counts.

https://petitions.parl.gc.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-127
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down