Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3B with 5 months to go...Completely lost.

+3
bigrex
czerv
Jayse29
7 posters

Go down

3B with 5 months to go...Completely lost. Empty Hang in there Jayse ...

Post by Rubicon Fri 23 Mar 2018, 20:37

I forgot to mention reference your tinnitus. If you haven't got it on your medical paperwork yet; make sure the audio tech writes down you have ringing in your ears on your release medical paperwork. The reason for this is it cannot be physically measured and VAC should give you the benefit of the doubt but if it is written down on your documents you "should" be golden for the tinnitus disability application. It will net you $15K initially and an additional $15K with a prescription for a white noise masking device. Sherry at the Limestone Hearing Centre in Kingston is a good Blue Cross service provider for this and can hook you up with the proper paperwork and the noise masking device. PM me if you have questions.

Rubicon
Rubicon
Rubicon
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2017-03-16

Back to top Go down

3B with 5 months to go...Completely lost. Empty Re: 3B with 5 months to go...Completely lost.

Post by BinRat Fri 23 Mar 2018, 19:20

And as Many of Us know,

Get copies of ALL YOUR MEDICAL DOCUMENTATION, and make sure ANY AND ALL problems are indeed listed
or noted in your medical documentation.

BinRat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Bumpsy likes this post

Back to top Go down

3B with 5 months to go...Completely lost. Empty Hang in there Jayse ...

Post by Rubicon Fri 23 Mar 2018, 18:50

I too 3B medically released from Trenton last October (2017). My best advice is to get your VAC Transition appointment booked at the IPSC on base ASAP. That VAC rep (Yolande) will steer you in the right direction wrt applying for everything you are entitled to and will do most of the paperwork right there in her office during that appointment. She is former military and can relate to the bullshit you are experiencing. WRT your foot and ankle injuries I would suggest you apply now for them as your applications are about to enter a queue that is months, if not a year long and growing. REMEMBER while filling out your Quality of Life questionnaires that you are describing how each injury feels "at its worse". WRT medical marijuana there is an Marijuana For Trauma (MFT) Office in town. They do a wonderful job of getting you a prescription and hooking you up with a MM provider and it is all free of charge. I would also recommend you attend any MFT meetings they schedule as they sometimes exchange important information or have guest speakers that deal with PTSD. You are not alone. If you are not happy with a service provider you have the right to choose another one. Don't stick with a provider you are not comfortable with. PM me if you have questions.

Rubicon
Rubicon
Rubicon
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2017-03-16

Back to top Go down

3B with 5 months to go...Completely lost. Empty Re: 3B with 5 months to go...Completely lost.

Post by bog6 Mon 05 Feb 2018, 22:05

Don't worry your in good hands, you will be lost just like all of us... alien alien

bog6
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2017-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by propat Mon 05 Feb 2018, 08:25

jayse I'm tellen ya this right now ........ apply for everything RIGHT NOW!!!!! SISSIP , ELB , CPPD , DTC I mean everything you THINK you MIGHT be entitled to you apply for it YESTERDAY !!!!!! it doesn't matter if you think its not that bad or you can live with it FRACK THAT YOU APPLY !! its far easier to do while you are still in than when you are out. and as it looks right now the NVC is going to get worse with the new changes . apply early apply often .later on if ya think ya don't need something , unlike the application proses , you will find it remarkably easy to get rid of .

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2017-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 04 Feb 2018, 18:38

you can also apply for SISIP, and start a voc rehab program, if possible, before your actual release date. I find that this gives some members something positive to put their minds to, by actually working towards something, instead of just sitting around, most often under employed, waiting for your release date. I ended up going on sick leave for the last several months of my career, because I was being severely harassed in my workplace, but my CO, refused to allow me to be TD'd to a different office, because in his words, I "belonged to him!". that was over a decade ago, and still get physically upset thinking about how my, otherwise outstanding, career ended. So the more you can do to keep yourself busy, and not feel like you are being discarded, like a broken tool, the better.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv Sun 04 Feb 2018, 13:41

If you have not done it yet: get appt with VAC office on the base and ask them for a list of thinks that you should apply for with them. If you need help with writing those applications: it is their job to help you with that paper work. You do not do it now, then good luck to you with dealing with VAC.
Ask doctor why they are asking for drug tests now? Make sure they answer it and put their answer in your med file. If they do not: Ombudsman (seems fishy to me) Looks like they hope to get you with THC in your blood and then your are not medical release but disciplinary, etc, etc.
If they ask you for blood work: get that paper and check on internet what they are testing you for. They might be testing if the medication they prescribe you are in your system or not.
Be smart.
Don't do it right away.
Be firm and polite:)

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv Sun 04 Feb 2018, 13:19

You have a right to request a new doctor.
You have a right to involve Military Ombudsman in dealing with the mess (when I only mentioned that to my meds, it did change their attitude with the treatment of me).
Ask for final/medical papers that you will do (final medical) couple of weeks in advance and write everything in it that you have (medical issues that you did not have before joining military) and even add extra paper if needed. Otherwise you will not have time to do it when you come for final appointment.
Ask for referrals for: physio, massage therapy, chiropractor, psychiatric/psychological, etc.
Whatever you need. (it is a pain to have that 'approved' by VAC when you leave).
Ask for change o medication if something is not working. If they do not want to change, tell them to include that in your medical report (that dr refused to change meds that are not working for you or that have catastrophic side effects. I was on that shit called Efexor for a week and had enough). But they changed it quickly.
If you need any CT/MIR scans: request it NOW. If they refuse: make sure that it is in your medical file. You can always request that file from your Ord/medical room. It is usually read a day after a mtg with your doctor. Requst all the medical file that they have on hand at your base! Before you leave: request the whole medical file (if they do not have it at your base).
It will take you several months before you get it from Ottawa (Freedom of info act/they have forms at the medical orderly room)
Do not tell them that you do not take something! Keep refilling it in their pharmacy till the end.
GET MIL Ombudsman involved if you get hassle from them. I had 5 Case Manager in the MIlitary before medical release (some of them moved some I had to fire - for being absolutely useless).

My two cents. Good luck and document everything. Blessings

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Bumpsy likes this post

Back to top Go down

3B with 5 months to go...Completely lost. Empty 3B with 5 months to go...Completely lost.

Post by Jayse29 Sun 04 Feb 2018, 12:06

Hey all,

As the title states, I have 5 months until medical release (PTSD, MDD, GAD, Tinnitus just to name a few) and I am kinda lost.
I took my final IRP move to the Trenton area to be close to my son, which makes me happy. But as opposed to my previous
posting, the guidance just does not seem to be there (granted I have not been doing my best to look). Seems to be a major case of
under staffing here.

My biggest issue is with the medical side of things. My previous posting, I was fortunate enough to have incredible medical staff on
my side, they probably saved my life in all honesty.

As I expected, I would merely be a number here, but it got so much worse than that. I have dealt with a lot of docs in my day, some great,
some average but this one sends shivers down my spine. Each appointment seems like an interrogation session and I fear the days coming
up to an appt. Right from day one. Instead of formalities I was poked, proded and promptly given a cup to pee in (+ for marijuana which is sold in stores up here, no licence required, very professionally ran and
did wonders for my insomnia but shame on me!) I stopped after my initial urine test and before even testing positive, I was informed that I would be called in on random occasions so I can pee in a cup, despite having a completely
clean, charge free record for my entire 16 years in the CF. I am a recovering alcoholic with occasional relapses, but have never had any legal or work related infringements due to this.)

Anyway, I was diagnosed ADHD a few years back, prescribed Concerta which really helped with depression, constant fatigue and overall functionality. The very day before Christmas leave, I was cut off cold turkey from my 54mg/ day prescription, told me that adhd was not the issue (I partially agree with this Doc as many of the symptoms correlate with PTSD. I was initially diagnosed a depressed alcoholic, then adhd and finally PTSD due to service overseas.)
and instead offered to replace it with 1 of 3 medications (Effexor and 2 other SSRI's) because marijuana is bad and these are what help. I guess this Doc had not bothered
to read my file regarding my negative reactions to these types of meds.

I decided to go with door number 1 (Effexor) but did not take any. After being robbed of a med that actually worked, only to replace it with something that has a history of being
like poison was a serious slap in the face that left me wondering how I was going to make it through the holidays. "Come back in January for sick parade if you don't feel right" I was told.
Going off my meds cold turkey during the holidays had made Christmas not only miserable from withdrawal, but downright dangerous. Imagine being on
a stimulant medication for 3 years in order to function, suddenly being robbed of that and trying to get christmas shopping done while barely being able
to keep my eyes open. Hell, I should not have been on the roads period in this condition. As far as I'm concerned, it was the equivalent of driving intoxicated
which put not only my life at risk, but others as well. I only drove when I absolutely had to and spent the rest of the time on bed rest waiting for the withdrawal to end.

On the bright side, I have a civilian psychologist now who is the complete opposite. I look forward to my appointments with her and am treated like a human being in a comfortable environment
and sharing a few laughs on the side. I had requested a psychiatrist but am being told there are none in the area, so I am stuck with this for now.

Back to topic. I had received my initial 10% for ptsd in may and I am wondering if they will follow up with me or I should contact them? The last 2 times I tried to get a hold of my va rep, she was
out of office.
I understand that many of my diagnosis' will fall under the ptsd umbrella- as I understand and please correct me if I am wrong: MDD, Panic disorder, GAD, insomnia, alcohol use disorder, erectile dysfunction', Loss of Function - Thought and Cognition, Loss of Function - Emotion, Behaviour and Coping (Adaptability), agoraphobia.
The only disability I can think of that is service related and not under that umbrella is tinnitus (applied for hearing loss, was denied and suggested to apply for tinnitus based on my symptoms).
Sure, there are many long term body ailments due to most of my career being in the infantry but mostly just wear and tear that many grunt types incur overtime. On paper, I have a severe fracture in my right foot many years ago while out in the field, but it is not much of a bother to me as of now. I broke my ankle on another field ex which only occasionally gives out (documented as well) but I can not justify it as being near problematic enough in daily life to justify me submitting a claim.

I am in contact with the voc rehab folks and discussing taking some courses online for a career outside of the military, but was told I pay up front and get reimbursed only if I pass. I mean, there are many fields that interest me, but I fear my mental capacity certainly isn't what it used to be and I would hate to throw money down the drain only to fail. I can study like a champ, but listening to a teacher and I can hold focus for 5 minutes at best. I could see the classroom environment being overly complex for myself.

My last visit with my nurse case manager was short and basically discussed that at this point, all we need to worry about is updating my sisip medical paperwork (even though I did it 6 months ago), so I have to book an appointment for that again.

Medical issues aside, there are so many different entities and people that I deal with during my release that I become confused and unable to interpret everything. I forget names, I forget who does what sometimes and receive conflicting information all over the board. I do my best to take notes during any of these appointments, but I scratch my head wondering what the hell to do with the information. This scares me since I only have 5 months left.

I am sure at least someone here can relate. I feel like the next 6 months will either make or break me.
I come here hoping to get some sense of direction so I can prioritize my release and make sure I am not being denied something that I am not aware of.
If you have been in my shoes before, I would be extremely grateful to attain some guidance. Perhaps I am the one who needs to stop whining and get it together, I am open to hearing that as well and will not take offense.
All I know is I feel completely clusterf****ed by it all and need help.

Jayse29
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2016-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down